Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat December 23 - December 29

We got a touch of the warmth that saef reported - I went about in a spring jacket without gloves. From being frigid beyond belief we were concerned that the trees would begin to bud.

Continue to wish Allison and Chico well. I do admit that Chico's diet appeals to me. It's not usual that I'm drawn to dog food.

Hope everyone finds a way to thread their way through the eating season. This week is the big one for me. Our Christmas dinner with the kids and their partners happens Christmas Eve - there'll be a lot of food.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning! Bill, we had a warmup too. Got to take the girls out for a couple walks last week but then it poured rain all weekend. Saturday MIL&FIL came and watched the girls for a few hours and DH and I went to the art museum, which was nice, even if we spent half the time worrying about the babies.

Allison, hope Chico is doing okay today.

For those who didn't see it on facebook, here's a cute video DH took of the girls laughing at each other! Now I just need them to do it when I'm home.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

Chico ate breakfast yesterday and had a couple pieces of melon for dinner but nothing today. I don't think he'll be around much longer at this rate.

My FIL is out of the hospital and given the go-ahead for everything (work, driving, golfing, etc.) and he says he feels a LOT better. They ended up putting in three stents and they gave him a copy of the video so we can watch the procedure. I'm not too sure if I want to watch.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

I'd like to do my last grocery trip before Christmas this morning, but SiL hasn't given me my assignment for our potluck, yet. This may require a phone call. Or maybe I'll buy ingredients for everything that I suggested. I can always make those things for us -- cabbage salad with fennel and red pepper, cranberry applesauce, and chocolate bread pudding.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Good morning! Bill, we had a warmup too. Got to take the girls out for a couple walks last week but then it poured rain all weekend. Saturday MIL&FIL came and watched the girls for a few hours and DH and I went to the art museum, which was nice, even if we spent half the time worrying about the babies.

Allison, hope Chico is doing okay today.

For those who didn't see it on facebook, here's a cute video DH took of the girls laughing at each other! Now I just need them to do it when I'm home.
They are the cutest !!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Morning all. Already been to the post office, Starbucks, credit union, and grocery store. Now I'm home to wrap gifts. Why are the holidays so stressful? Major stressors yesterday which ended with dh mad at me. Long story involving airports and family. Ugh. Dh and dd fly home tomorrow. Hopefully they come home in a good frame of mind. Younger dd came home yesterday. She did not do well this semester. We're going to have to have a heart to heart before she goes back. I'm very unhappy about it but I'm hoping it will be a lesson she learns from. I'm not about to talk to dh about it until after the holidays.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hey all!

Well, we were hit by the massive ice storm. Power went out 3AM Sunday morning and was just restored about 2 hours ago. The world around us looks like a war zone. Everything is covered in ice - trees are split in half, wires are down.

The power company is trying desperately to restore power to the thousands still without it. Temps are going to be below 0 tonight.

I spent yesterday huddled in our bedroom with a propane heater - we had no power and no water. The rest of the house dipped to 50 degrees. Last night was truly one of the worst nights of my life.

I anticipate working MUCH harder then expected to get pounds off after the holidays as I spent yesterday and this morning pity eating myself into OBLIVION and having no way to work out made it worse psychologically and physically.

But I count myself lucky that we have power back - initially they were saying our location would have it on around tomorrow night at 11:30 PM.

Jen

CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #8  

Beautiful but scary, Jen. Glad you got your power back.

DH and I were discussing our weight loss plans a little yesterday. We're thinking that once Chico goes, we'll be taking Misty on more walks (for her sake as well as our own). DH has been doing his 3x elliptical workouts pretty regularly, but he only does 20 minutes which barely make a dent in his caloric intake. I saw a photo of him from last spring and I'm pretty sure he's gained about 20 pounds since then. You can really see it in his face (as well as his belly).

Sorry about the difficulties, Michele. It's hard to have those heart to heart talks. Hope the holidays go well for your family.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Hey! I truly have something to celebrate this holiday season.

We just went 32 hours without power of any kind - ice storm took out trees, wires, etc. all over Toronto and southern Ontario. Being urban dwellers we had no propane powered anything . A trip yesterday morning to the local Canadian Tire yielded only a big lantern and 4 cylinders of propane (which a guy handed to me out of the hoard in his cart as I started to cry in the middle of the store).

I was kinda afraid that Mudpie would die from the cold - hence the outburst in the store. It was 8 degrees C in the house from yesterday morning until this morning. I kept huddling with her in my new plush throw but she can't retain any kind of body heat any more due to her extreme thinness. She got really quiet last night and didn't eat this morning at 4:30 when I fed them. I think we got power back just in time (although the people in charge are warning that high winds tonite might take the wires out again).

No lights (except for the lantern), no heat, no showers, etc. during the outtage so we have been in a frenzy of domestic activity all day and have cranked the heat to get the house hot (no propane heaters of any kind available except online for January delivery - I bought two).

We were able to go to some local restaurants and warm up and eat but the food was kinda greasy and heavy and carby. My stomach started acting up at about 2:30 this morning. I am so looking forward to eating a light dinner tonite and am grateful I can cook it in my own house.

Happy Holidays everyone! Hoping I have power during the rest of the week and can come back and post.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post

That was just too cute! They made me chuckle. When they're teenagers and mad at each other for some silly reason, you'll need to bring that out.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, I sympathize with you all up further north. This sounds like one of those historic ice storms in the North Country that everyone remembers for years afterward because of the toll on the trees and on their safety. I remember one from a few years back where they were calling in utility trucks from downstate and southern New England, and still power was out for days & days.

It's been warm and rainy here, as I've said elsewhere, and I'm waiting for everything that is currently wet to freeze tomorrow nigh when temperatures drop again.

My mother ran some errands for me in the village while I worked and her van got rear-ended by someone who wasn't paying attention to the fact that she'd reached a Christmas shopping traffic jam. Fortunately there wasn't any damage but it panicked her briefly. I'm taking her out to dinner tonight in my car at one of the many Italian places around here, trying to revive my Christmas spirit, which nearly went out today as I revised a research note, dealt with analyst relations teams at two printer manufacturers, sent the usual slew of emails & responded to instant messages from people wanting stuff.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Our celebration with my "family" - cousin, semi-cousin and all their family - is tonite. Still haven't heard back from the host family to see if they have power or if the whole thing is called off. They live some distance away so I don't want to drive up there this morning, since I'm designated driver tonite. I'll call my cousin's cell this morning. I would really enjoy socializing with them - DH is NOT fun at holiday time.

DH is going to work today. I'm kinda relieved as I can now play Christmas music and relax and read for a bit. That was all part of the holiday "relax and detox" plan that was derailed by the storm. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes home early though.

I'm making one run in the car this morning and then settling in for a couple of hours of laundry, reading, and a big pot of mint tea.

I'm not going to weigh myself this week until Friday. Give me a chance to unload some of the "storm" weight. I find myself not having the urge to pig out at the Christmas celebrations any more. Christmas morning will be a problem - DH always gives me really, really good chocolate and expects me to eat some at 8 a.m. or whatever time we open our gifts to each other.

I'll figure it out.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #13  

We're having our annual Christmas party at work today (but must call it an end of the year party to appease the Jehovah's Witness members on our staff). Carne asada tacos, chips and salsa, salad. Should be good.

Tonight I'll come home and make a batch of Julekake for Christmas breakfast. I had grown up thinking this was a Swedish traditional bread but recently learned it is Norwegian. Still good in any case.

My Dad actually sent me a Christmas present. A card with checks for me and DH, and one for each of the kids and a big box from Harry & David. I had a pear for breakfast this morning.

We're probably going to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty on Christmas. I hope it's as good as the previews make it look.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

CherryPie99 and Mudpie: so glad you have your power back. Every time I hear the news, I fret about all the families without power this Christmas.

The cranberry applesauce is the choice for tomorrow's potluck. I'm happy because that's easy to make and turns out so pretty.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Jen and Dagmar, so glad you have your power back! Now you've got me thinking that I need to get an emergency supply kit together. We've never lost power for more than an hour or two but I keep thinking esp. now that we have kids we need to have some kind of emergency kit.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote