Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #1  

Default Headache from sugar withdrawl...anyone??

Anyone get headaches withdrawling from sugar?

I have been on a sugar bender, and finally yesterday I said no more. I am eating, but nothing has had sugar in it today, all whole foods. Still drink caffiene though, coffee. But I just started with a wicked headache. I usually dont get headaches, and it feels like when I've withdrawn from caffeine..
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #2  

I know no one has replied to this...but moodiness too?? I'm in such a mood today I dont like it...I'm so irritable...
Old 12-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I totally get both when going through sugar or caffeine withdrawal *hugs* stay strong, you will feel so much better once the withdrawal is done and your body is free of the sugar
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #4  
diamondgeog

Yes I had headaches which I normally never get. I even felt a bit wozzy.

Stay strong! It is worth it a thousand fold. I am free from snacks, fast food, junk food. But more importantly constant hunger and fatigue.

Took about 3 weeks and then it got much easier. One of the best decisions of my life. Remember to include carbs also. I cut out bread, pasta, and potatoes although I have potatoes now some and the odd sandwich. Can't just cut the sugar, once in your body sugar and carbs are the same and whole wheat is at best just slightly less bad.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #5  
diamondgeog

On the irritability I'd almost daily feel so starved when home from work when I had sugar/carbs I was in a foul mood daily. That has improved a millon fold.

3 weeks for a much better life the rest of your life in more ways than you can imagine. You will consider it just an awesome decision, trust me.

And others might disagree but you need to cut sugar AND bread, pasta, potatoes at least for that 3 weeks to be successful. They are basically one and same. Then you can reintroduce slowly and see if it is OK in small amounts.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 12-21-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #6  

It sucks, you're not alone. Like diamondgeog mentions, it might be helpful to cut out ANY refined carbohydrates for a bit; if you don't mind more severe symptoms for the trade-off of adapting faster.

I find a big portion of protein sometimes help; also fat, salt, and exercise! I think your brain lets you forget about the pain of withdrawal if you 'bribe' it with other endorphin rushes. =P

And, personally, I've also experimented with water fasting for several days with great success; but DON'T TRY IT unless you've done your own research and understand the risks and steps involved.

Keep strong, and good for you for trying to reduce your sugar consumption!

EDT: If you do choose to resume eating a bit of sugar, don't overdo it right away; the sugar rush headache can rival any sugar withdrawal symptoms you've ever experienced.

Last edited by Defining; 12-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Oh yes. If I stop sugar and/or caffeine, I get 4 days worth of withdrawal migraines. I haven't noted my mood, but I'm pretty sure it isn't good. If I have a migraine, I'm much too miserable to be cordial or patient or giving.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Yes, I had withdrawal symptoms when I got off of sugar and carbs. However, before then binges on sugar would make me feel sick. It is possible that you still have glucose in your blood stream and that is what is causing your headache.

Dr. Eric Westman (Duke's weight loss program) says that carb withdrawal can be helped with saltly chicken broth. Might be worth a try.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #9  

thank you all...I took some motrin which helped for a little while...last night DH brought home this snack that a coworker made us...little pretzels with one kiss melted and then one M&M stuck inside that (sheesh)...anyway after dinner, I divided it up with the kids, so I had 4 of them...but it was like licking the wine cork if you're avoiding alcohol...did not set off a binge, almost wasnt enough to register if that makes sense.. I'm embarrassed to say that yesterday, when I literally high rock bottm I was only eating junk, I was going all day eating only cookies or cakes...I know when I wake up craving sugar its time to get a grip...so I was going from a RIDULOUS amount of sugar daily for about a week (like a sick amount, not normal, humiliating amount) to nothing but those 4 candies...so like I said, I licked the wine cork...lol ...my headache is still here..so I'm going to take more motrin and go to bed, but I already feel better mentally, had more energy today, less down feeling, scary what a difference it makes...i'm ok with very little amounts of sugar, IF I maintain a healthy diet otherwise, its when I stop eating real food altogether and just eat sugar stuff all day that sh*t hits the fan...BUt I ate healthy food today and I got hungry (when i'm sugar binging I dont get hungry because I dont stop effin eating!!) so pathetic...

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 12-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.