Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #1  

Angry Letting my guard down about sugary foods always turns into out of control eating!!

I've been doing WW and doing ok. A slow and steady...
One week ago, I weighed in, and lost a pound, yeah!...I made cookies for a cookie party that day and tasted the batter...and a cookie...and another cookie...and had some wine...and more cookies....

I decided that I would "go easy" on myself until Christmas (and DH and I are starting a weightloss challenge after new years)...so what was supposed to be me letting myself have that extra cookie or wine until Christmas, has, in one weeks time, turned into just out of control eating...I know sh*ts gotten real when I don't eat a healthy breakfast. Its like my way of saying there's no control left when I eat and large, sugar filled breakfast (processed sugary muffins)...

Why do I not learn?? I've done this in the past, I cannot "relax" with my eating, or it gets out of control. Like gross over eating out of control...

The pants I'm supposed to wear to Christmas are already tight! From one week of none stop pigging out, omg...

And now hat I've been eating so much sugar, the "detox" is sofa king hard!! Its like withdrawl...I am not looking forward to it, its like a week of torture when all I want it sugary food...

Anyway just comlaining about my relapse
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm a librarian so I have a book to recommend: _The End of Overeating_ by David Kessler. It might not tell you anything that you haven't learned from experience, but I thought it was comforting that I wasn't the only one and that there are scientific reasons behind that behavior.

I will say, something I've learned just this month, it does get easier. At least, it has for me. I'm able to have some pre-planned or, in one case, unplanned treats without triggering a domino-effect in cravings. Apparently, my brain compartmentalizes these things now and knows they won't be repeated so it doesn't bother with the cravings.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Been there, done that and should get a tshirt proclaiming it

This time of year is difficult with all the sweets. Just a little sugar gives me terrible cravings. As you said, the "detox" is sofa king hard but you can do it. You have done it before and you will do it again!

PS - I agree with Joy about The End of Overeating, great book!

Last edited by time2lose; 12-20-2013 at 09:40 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I work longer hours than anyone else in my office. When the other people are here, I'm pretty good at not overindulging in the office sweets. Many days, I bypass them entirely. It's the evenings (which is my trigger time anyway) that cause me to struggle. So much.

So, my confession:

Last night, I threw away a half a tin of popcorn. Yes, one of those huge Christmas tins. And a quarter of a large bag of M&Ms. Because I could not stop eating them.

And I should feel bad about it. Maybe. "Normal" people would not feel as thought they had to eat a monster portion of food gifted to an office full of people. But the food was there for a week, and I fought off the urge to binge on it day after day after day. And no one in our office suffers from a sugar deficit. So I'm feeling okay about it.

And totally relating to your struggles, GlamourGirl.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #5  
diamondgeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I will say, something I've learned just this month, it does get easier. At least, it has for me. I'm able to have some pre-planned or, in one case, unplanned treats without triggering a domino-effect in cravings. Apparently, my brain compartmentalizes these things now and knows they won't be repeated so it doesn't bother with the cravings.
It does get easier. But I had a couple of bad days and last night for the first time in months I could feel the cravings a little bit. The thing that was encouraging was I realized...wow I had those not only daily but many times during a day and now almost never.

I just let them be there....and went to sleep.

Today totally gone.

But in general when I go heavy on carbs/sugar now my body reacts much better than before. Don't get hungry again in 2 hours or the cravings so you can 'switch' or dampen that response off eventually. I would think. I know everyone is different.

I also think of carbs/sugar as basically the same thing, like my body does. That helps me keep on track and realize if I am saying having some mashed potatoes and some candy it is actually a double serving of carbs/sugars.

But it was a good warning last night that even though I have switched my body for the most part, it can be reawakened.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 12-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'm sorry, I totally understand.

I really find that sugary stuff gets out of control for me very easily as well. It is sooo much easier if I just don't take the first bite.

I can do the wine ok, but cookies? Noooooope.

Hang in there, it's in the past. From this moment forward you can change it if you want to!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #7  

Thank you all..I need to start now. I can't even wait until Christmas because I feel so yuck!! from all the crap.

I don't know if any one here has the same respone to sugar, but if I have a little (one cookie) when everything else about my diet for many many days before has been healthy, whole food, I'm ok...but a few cookies or other sugar and its a snow ball effect. Stopping the next day is kind of hard, but say I get up the next day and eat more cookies...each day it not only gets harder, but my cravings start earilier in the day, until I wake up not wanting a healthy breakfast, I just want cake/muffin type stuff! Oh my its sad really. And I literally would rather not eat than eat something other than sugar...it actually takes a few days off sugar for real food to start to be appealing again.

Its so obvious that I have a sugar addiction, times like this, I consider it being on a bender...Pretty sure I hit rock bottom today...if we could only go into rehab facilities like other addictions...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #8  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Like everyone has said. It's done and in the past. Drink enough water and get back on track <3 xox
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Yes! BTDT. Understand your vent perfectly. Forget about it and get back on track.

TBH, I wish I was like my son who simply hates sugary stuff. Just wont touch it whereas I was born with a sweet tooth (or hey, sweet teeth!).

Good luck with Christmas!
magical is offline   Reply With Quote