Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default over cooking

what do you do when you make more food than you can eat???? for those of us who live alone, it's a bit of a problem [one i've been dealing with for awhile]. freezing is one option, but not the best [do you REALLY want a freezer stash consisting of 12 cups of chili????]. and leftovers are OK for a couple of days.

I've been making soups and sharing them with a friend. She recently lost her sister, and hasn't been cooking. This has worked really well for both of us. Another friend who's had the surgery came up with a BRILLIANT idea: she called her town's social service department and found that there were a couple of elderly folks in her town who really could use a hot meal.

Sometimes I purposely invite people over so that they can take food home.

anyone have any other thoughts? believe me, it's times like these that i wish i had TEENAGERS at home!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Those are great ideas, Jiff! And bless you for being so thoughtful!!

Another idea is to connect with the church office and ask who might need a meal delivered. I don't mean the people who qualify for Meals On Wheels, rather, maybe someone who has had an accident, or a new mother, etc. someone in a temporary snafu which keeps them from being able it cook a meal.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I am a single mom and have made up to 60 meals at a time. Yes! Remember that your meals can last for months!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #4  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

I freeze things. I like to eat the same thing over and over, so 12 cups of chili would last 12 days. Then I'd make something else.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #5  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

I have had the same problem jiffy pop. I love to cook (I find it relaxing) but do not have enough mouths to feed. I also invite people over and freeze things. I am starting to cut recipes in half, so that I have the joy of cooking without the waste. I will let you know how it goes.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote