Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - World Aids Awareness Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eleventh day on plan, CREDIT moi. Happy little streak going here. We had turkey for dinner; we had turkey for lunch - both same as the day before. (I'm sticking with cereal for breakfast, LOL.) The leftover food is fine eating - tasty and on-plan. The leftover goodies are calling my name, however, and need to find a new home. One guest left a box of top-shelf fudge as a hostess gift; I couldn't find anyone to take it home. Today I'll bring it to fellowship hour where folks of a wide range of ages will consume just about anything.

Not much exercise. At the supermarket I walked past a HUGE display of Christmas candy, already marked with sale prices. The good news is that it didn't look tempting. It was all stuff I've seen in prior years and will see again next year.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, it's tricky when our excursions weave into our eating schedule.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – That's a huge wad of steps for the day. Ouch for the scale jiggle out of onederland with Kudos for recognizing that sugar is a trigger for you.

Pam (pamaga) – Good guideline this, "nutrient rich, calorie poor." Kudos for being aware of the needs of your own body.

maryann - Ouch for having to witness family drama. Kudos for celebrating a new day.

nationalparker – Boy, do I need this, "Stress is not an excuse to eat." Thanks. Kudos for visiting your own freezer for a pizza of known calories.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

what are you thinking?
Connie had an unspoken rule, I have to be the best mother possible. Therefore, she didn't reduce such nonessential activities as picking up her youngsters at school (when they could have taken the bus), taking them to every after-school activity they requested, and spending most of her free time doing things with them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 105.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, I have to admit that last night wasn't the lightest - dinner (at home) of leftovers didn't include anything green as green bits in the stuffing don't count. I took one small serving of what I wanted, but could have cut the options down and not reheated everything. DH was trying to tempt me with a half slice of apple pie, but I stood firm. Another late night of job work until 2 a.m. ... up this morning to ensure that there are no issues with the data... waiting for the all-clear.

So my last night wasn't the lightest night, so I'm not adding in a point for yesterday, but will honestly say that five of the last six days I've done well except for that blip meal of too many simple carbs. There should be a warning in my mind: if it goes down easy...beware

Mom is still in hospital and looks like she may be released tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed that she doesn't pick up an infection while there, but that she's released when things are stable, not too soon, thus necessitating a return admittance - I think those are demoralizing.

Goals today are smart breakfasts and lunches and if we go out to dinner tonight for a belated dinner date put off from last week, to eat half my portion and bring the remainder home, eat slowly, and to not go there ravenous.

Bill - thank you for remembering the December new thread. I forgot and went to the old one. MAJOR kudos for 11 days on plan and counting. Through the minefield of holiday food and leftovers and gifts. Wise and generous idea to bring the quality fudge with you to the fellowship.

Was watching the scale make it's minute descents from 172.0 ... 171.8 ... 171.6... but after last night, I think it's wise if I take a break this morning. (She says...)

Enjoy the last of the Thanksgiving weekend, U.S. posters!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

My 100%OP Day makes my streak count = 6.

Building a streak of 100%OP days has been an interesting experiment. I lost most of my weight on 80% and 90% days -- that has some advantages of flexibility and reduced perfectionism. But I'm learning, now, that I can shape my day around my food if I'm determined to do it. That's going to be a useful skill for me going forward.

In other news, I met my exercise goal for November while increasing my streak to 134 days of exercise in a row.

WI: +0.4 kg, Exercise: +55 1400/1400 minutes for November, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit walk this morning and OP yesterday. Big Credit for moving the ticker down for the first of the month. 2.2 pounds left to goal - because 149.8 counts That gives me three weeks to lose two pounds ( and that does not sound easy knowing how slowly I lose weight)

DH was very helpful and comforting yesterday which I appreciate. The three of us are going out to the ranch to take our annual Xmas card picture. DS will be on his very own tractor. DH said it was the smallest Tenco they make. Whether or not that is still ok for an 11yo remains to be seen. But I am keeping silent. Our family has always maintain the agreement that I am in charge of education and DH is in charge of motorized vehicles.

Pamatga: I agree completely with you. Cravings arise from an insufficient or incorrect diet. For me, I have discovered foods I am sensitive which cause cravings. I have added some supplements and taken out some foods and it has made a big difference.

Seadwaters: I have eliminated dairy for over three months and it has made a big difference. I use coconut milk, and it is yummy in a smoothie as well.

nationalparker: 2 a.m. work nights is not easy. I don't know how you do it.

gardenerjoy and BBE: Congrats on your streaks. Impressive.

Last edited by maryann; 12-01-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Day Fourteen-Plan for Tomorrow

Welcome December, the final month of 2013!

The only thing that I did yesterday that I "overdid" was watching holiday movies. Three in one sitting. I finally had to "prepare" for today the last half hour of "It's A Wonderful Life".

Day 14: Plan for Tomorrow: Today ends the two weeks of "prep" work before actually culling all of the BDS skills to apply to both my food plan and workout program. As I have said I did a jump start when ForMyGirls "challenged" the group in seeing how long of a streak we all can go. It appears that all of these seasoned "coaches" can "go the distance". I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling the internal pressure of having to do this in a perfect way so I am also fighting that tendency as well. However, I have had 6 consecutive days of being OP with my meal plan as well as working out. I like to do either yoga or Pilates on Sunday for my arthritis. Hatha yoga is recommended for arthritis and I have returned to that after decades of not. I feel so much better afterwards when I do.

As for "planning for tomorrow", I have been logging my food daily for 324 days this past year. Five and a half months of that time I sent my food plan to a food sponsor. That was an added pressure since I felt like I had to explain every nuance of what I ate. It was always more about me than her but again that perfectionist tendency seems to rear its ugly head and I have to "let go" often enough until it disappears.

gardenerjoy I just noticed that in your photo you are "all green": your tomatoes, your sweater and your bush behind you. TG you have red hair or you just might "disappear". I am with envy on the size of your produce. I too am a gardener but I battled squirrels all summer for my tomatoes. I am part of a community of organic gardeners and we all were saying that we don't mind the squirrels taking a tomato here and there but don't eat two bites and then leave it on the ground to rot. Doesn't their mother squirrels tell them this when they are growing up?

BBE I too have had lots of leftover turkey, cold in sandwiches, along with a glass of skim milk and an apple. This year we bought a half-bushel ( 20 lbs) from an apple orchard in Blue Ridge, GA, which is near the base of the Appalachian mountains, right on the border of TN, GA and SC. Wow, the best apples that I have eaten in ages. I think we are going to take a drive and get more. We are almost finished with 20 lbs and we haven't even had them three weeks.

I did remember that you start a new thread every month. That is a great idea, especially if the group is active. I remember wondering where everyone went last time around. This time I remembered!

BTW, great job on your streak. You are the longest in the group thus far. I am sure passing on fine chocolates has a great deal to do with that. Great job in exercising the most important muscle in our respective bodies: the resistance muscle.

nationalparker I totally agree with you on "if it goes down too easy, beware!" Isn't it interesting that most of the "former offenders" are just that? No coincidence, I am sure.

I am sorry to hear about your Mom. You and your family are in my thoughts and heart. Let's hope Mom's healing can "stick" and she doesn't have to return. I have always believed the speediest healing happens while at home and surrounded by our own familiar surroundings.

Take care all, Pam

P.S. ForMyGirls, my OP streak for both my workouts and food plan is now at 12 points for this past week and counting.

Last edited by pamatga; 12-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hope everyone is well this fine Sunday afternoon. I wanted to get here to do personals but just can't fit that in today.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am now on Day 4 on plan which feels good. I am not giving up. Ever.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Dear Coaches

Thanks Maryann - coconut milk is great and a really good fat. I am going to avoid it as a drink for a bit as it is too calory dense for me at the moment I think. I need to reduce energy in for a bit! Happy to have it in a meal or a soup but a bit scary everyday in a shake. Great work BillBE to be 11 straight days on plan and to pass up fudge. Great streak gardenerjoy - one I want to copy. Ceejay - great work 4 days on plan - must feel good

Today was an on plan day. I took my lunch and ate only that, and had the apple I had packed for a snack. I didn't walk as much today - lots of meetings so the usual Monday. But I made my 5000 steps which is good. Only 2 flights of stairs though. The scales were a little kinder today

Progress
Checked in 3 days in a row - credit
Weight
-1.4 lb (today) (goodbye takeaway food) / -1.4 from tracker
Steps
5136/5000;
KM
3.46 / 3
Food
Had a plan and followed it - no sweets, no wheat, no sneaky carbs
Packed lunch for tomorrow
Logged food
Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – 12 day streak on plan, CREDIT moi. Boy, that feels good. When I was first losing weight, this happened all the time. It's beginning to feel right again. We took most of the fudge to a dance class DW and I are taking in preparation for an upcoming family event where there'll be dancing. With video cameras everywhere, there's always the fear that someone will conjure the notion that someone dancing poorly would make a good YouTube contribution. Reminds me that the whole family used to like to watch 'Candid Camera' back in its day. Avoided snacking at fellowship hour, at the dance, and in the evening when stuff in the house is calling. DW kept some of the fudge for herself - wish she hadn't - but it sits marked with her name just as clearly as if with a large black marker. Both lunch and dinner were made from leftover turkey for the third straight day. It's a badge of honor since DW and I are at odds about the size of turkey to buy. I think 20 pounds is the proper size; she bought a 13 pounder. We have ample leftovers with that; she insists that it'll spoil before it gets consumed.

Exercise was a pair of walks, CREDIT moi. It wasn't exactly raining, but wasn't exactly not, either. Walked without an umbrella (that was in my pocket) but had to hang my coat, hat, and gloves to dry when we got home.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on meeting your November exercise goal as well as for that exercise streak of 134 days.

CeeJay - Yay for the uplifting, "I am not giving up. Ever."

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Great line, "Had a plan and followed it - no sweets, no wheat, no sneaky carbs." Even with only two flights of stairs you still passed your walking goal of 5000 steps.

Pam (pamaga) – Really good point that it's worth fighting the tendency to be perfect. As Joy (gardenerjoy) noted, she lost her weight at 80-90%. I need the streak right now to break some bad habits that have built up and because it serves my contrarian mind to be rigorous doing the eating season when it's easy to add a few pounds. Jealous of your late fall apples.

maryann - I want my own tractor for Christmas. Doesn't matter that our city yard is measured as a few hundred square feet. Or that I don't know how to drive a tractor. Congrats on that ticker down.

nationalparker – Here's hoping that your mom gets released in good shape. Ouch for the super late night work (from home, I presume). Watching the scale in detail can be deadly, particularly since water weight and GI track are much larger than the short term changes in muscle, fat, and tissue.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

what are you thinking?
John also had a rule: I have to keep my home in perfect order. Since his wife was busy with other things (and just didn't care as much as he did about how their house looked), much of the household chores fell to him. It wasn't until John relaxed his standards that he finally created enough time and energy to devote to dieting.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 105.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

A collective total of 41 points today. Go team.

My personal contribution is back to zero after not having achieved all my "health and Wellbeing" activities today and yesterday. Oh well. I am giving myself credit for staying 100% OP on food these days even when the other stuff didn't happen. I have had a couple of nights where I didn't meet my bedtime goal too - which is always the thing that holds all the rest together so I will be getting to sleep on time tonight no matter what!

Interesting comments from Pam and Joy about perfectionism - i hope my challenge hasn't caused trouble for others! For me it has really helped - so thanks to those who are participating - and I am looking forward to having a point on the board again tomorrow :-) and if it is causing strife for any who are participating there is absolutely no obligwtin to keep going!

And thanks Pam for:
"part of developing your resistance muscle is also trying to put "pleasing others" in its rightful place. The Golden Rule is you can't give away what you don't have to give"
Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

My 100%OP Day makes my streak count = 7. I'm finding this very helpful and interesting, ForMyGirls. Thanks! The thing about a streak is that you can always start over again. I broke two of my streaks over the weekend, but they are happily back up to 1 right now and I'll start building from there.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +45 45/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #12  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I had an on-plan day yesterday, so back at it for me - count +1 on my side. Struggled to not snack and had eaten a very light lunch, anticipating a larger dinner, but we went another route - so it was on track and ate 60% of it and left the rest for tomorrow's lunch, I hope. Forgot it in the fridge today when I was prepping my lunch (very light, hopefully not TOO light). Dinner will be out and I plan to enjoy all of the salad and half of the entree. I think DH will take the remainder in for his dinner tomorrow night, as he heads into working nights now.

Testing continues on my mom; hopefully they can identify what the issue is. Perhaps a skeletal crew there over the holiday weekend meant less speed on results? I don't know but am keeping fingers crossed that they can figure this out and her pain dissipates.

Anticipate checking in with credits from smart eating tonight. Indulgent - a bit, but not supremely so. Won't see DH for a week after tonight. I leave him with reminders for all of the basics. Be sure to snuggle the cats. Be sure to fill all pets' water bowls. And food bowls. And...and...and I'm sure he's thinking he married a dingbat.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Happy for a beautiful, sunny day. Sad that we have no rain here. It is very troubling to DH.Yesterday I marked a milestone: the first time time I have driven a tractor. if DS was going to do it, I would do it, as well. OP yesterday even though my salad after a movie was larger than hoped.

Credit step class today and a food plan. I want to be really disciplined for the next three days because Wednesday evening I am taking a girl's trip to Disneyland to celebrate my 50th bday. I want to enjoy every minute without worrying about my deadline date on the 20th. I have been mulling over options. The first was to take my small blender with me for smoothies. When I called the airport to see if I can take it as carryon, I received a rather nebulous answer. DH who was listening suggested I didn't call it the "Magic Bullet"

So now I am going to the health food store today took look at protein supplement options. I know I can't take liquid. But I really want to replace at least one meal with a smoothie/shake and one meal with nitrate free jerky, fruit and nuts. One meal at a restaurant is all I can safely do. i know that from experience. Well I have a few days to plan.

BBE: Thoughts of you as DS and I cracked pecans at the barn. I will be dry roasting them today for my trip.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 12-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #14  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

Totally lost it during the holiday weekend but I am back on track today. Just said oh well and make a plan for today.

Fast day today. Will have healthy 500 calorie meal for lunch.

Reading response cards. Helps so much.

Hope you are all having a good day.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #15  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Day Fifteen-Monitor Your Eating

Day Fifteen-Monitor Your Eating: Now, in the pink book, this is the point where Dr. Beck feels that all of the prep days leading up to this day allows you to start your food plan and exercise program along with the skills she has shared thus far. Well, since I wanted to have an "OP" Thanksgiving, I jumped the gun and started last Monday along with counting my points.

As I shared yesterday, I have been logging every day this past year. It is a habit that I began in June 2010 and although I have ceased doing it for as long as six months at a time, I always return to it. I save all of them on a zip drive. What I am going to do with them, I have no idea, but I have them. My initial rationale is different than Dr. Beck's. I am a recovering food addict and one hallmark character defect of mine is denial and lying to myself about "what, when and how much I eat" so in order to work on that particular defect of mine I log every single bite that I eat. I measure everything. I always and only measure one single serving. I want my stomach, eyes and mouth to know what a single serving of any and everything is.

I put it on a "normal" dinner plate (this goes against conventional weight loss wisdom- large vs small plates) because my rationale is that not every place I will eat at will have the option of a smaller plate and short of bringing my own, I feel that it is absolutely necessary that I know visually what food looks on a regular sized plate. This is immensely helpful in restaurant or social gatherings.

This may sound extreme to many of you but it is something that has allowed me to go from 301.8 lbs to my present weight and although I have had a rocky six months prior to rejoining this group, I continued monitoring my food even though I wasn't on plan the majority of the time. If it went into my mouth, it got noted on my daily meal plan. If I had a binge, every bit of it got logged. I was not going to put my head in the sand and ignore what was going on. I liken it to watching someone you love suffering and you feel helpless to ease their pain. I have learned also to love "that person" (me) and although I was suffering emotionally I never lost my love and respect for "that person" (me).

So, I want to say that I am grateful and at peace that I have picked back up consciously this BDS. I did not realize that I had been practicing some of the skills. I feel lead to be here. I am grateful that I listened to that small inner voice to admit that there "is a better way" and here it is.

Do I get tired of doing some of this stuff? Yes, I do! Will I stop? No, not if I can help it. I realize that each and every one of us has a different personal history with food so some of this may resonant and some may not. For me, this is not just a number on the scale but I was food-oriented for half of my adult life so I have a lot of underlying issues that come to surface once I am not eating to cover them up.

My life is still the same struggles that I have been going through the past six months but I am working both my OA program as well as using the BDS to move through them until they get straightened out. That is the difference between today and back then.

CeeJay Good Job on being OP for four days. You can do it!

seadwaters Great Job on getting your personal goal of 5000 steps in.

BBE I took dance during my childhood and youth. I miss dancing but with the need of two new knees on the horizon my only outlet is vicariously watching DWTS. I applaud you taking dancing lessons. I have held this over my DH that once I get my new knees, he is coming along. He is afraid of making a spectacle of himself as a non-dancer but he does watch DWTS with me. I love him for that.

Joy(gardenerjoy): Congrats on making your November exercise goal.

ForMyGirls: I only shared about my struggles with perfectionism because that is one character defect that I have been working on for some time. My DH is the same way so you can only imagine our household at times. Lots of discussions on how to do things from time to time. Thank you, Joy, for sharing what works for you. I agree that our bodies can sometimes be strange creatures where what we think works doesn't and what does work, we didn't think would.

I will continue to be a part of this streak challenge because it also does double-duty in forcing me to do what I can over and over again; it is building on daily successes "one meal at a time and one day at a time" which is clearly on my own personal radar.

I can add one more point to my first seven days so my weekly count for Monday-Sunday is 7 pts for food plan and 6 pts for working out. 13 pts for Week 1. Although I had regained a couple of pounds the week prior to that; I managed to lose overall 4.2 lbs. since last Monday when I began actively staying OP as well as working out.

Granted, this is water weight but what is even nicer is that I feel like I am personally back "on track". My "fat head" is under my thumb. That makes it a winning week for me! No yo-yo up and downs now that I am actively practicing BDS.

Hope everyone else who is reading or checking in has a great day as well.

Take care, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Closed Thread