View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #84
schenectady

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/207/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Bmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdcslim View Post
Hi all, had my weigh in on Sat - down a total of 39lbs since 9/15. We had our company holiday party Sat night, so got to wear a fitted cocktail dress and everyone was very complimentary! I've had the dress for 13 years, wore it once so was very excited to get back into it and to not have to spend $$ for a fancy cocktail dress!! My coach has suggested that I change my target since she says my total body fat % is too high. It's just 5 more pounds, but I'm already terrified that I won't be able to stay at this weight. Has anyone else had this advice?
First, congratulations on the loss and the fancy dress - I do not have any such things in my closet and know that will be one thing I am looking forward to getting - some day.

I did have the issue of BMI come up yesterday during my annual physical. My doctor and I talked a while about it and he agreed that my goal weight was OK for me even though it technically had a higher BMI than some think it ideal.

Part of it is age (don't know yours but my is advanced!) and part of it is some medical studies that have shown that people with slightly higher BMI's actually have a longer life span than those in the area lower than 25%.

Now, of course there are studies that show all sorts of different results about almost everything but after talking to him, he felt that the 25% I should hit was OK. I want a reasonable weight and BMI - I am not looking to reinvent my youth or Twiggy. Once I get there, I will see how I feel but knowing the doctor is happy with my goal I enough for me.

schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote