Old 12-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/ticker/118

Height: 5'5"

Default Fitbit vs. Activelink vs. Nike Fuel Band

Which have you guys had most success with?

I'm conflicted on which to get. I like that newer (Fitbit one?) calculates BMR, measures sleep cycles and can be synced, as well as worn like a bracelet and waterproof. I also know some people have had success with the Activelink and it works well for WW but I think if I got it it might end up going through the wash. I think I heard the NikeFuel Band measures heart rate which is something I'm looking for.

I dunno.

What has worked for you all?
candykisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #2  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I've had three fitbits and I highly recommend them (fitbit original, ultra, one). There is such a big difference in my activity level when I put one on. The thing about fitbit that I love is no monthly subscription. Plus, even if I don't follow weight watchers, I'll still have use for it since it will work for MFP and used to work for sparkpeople. Fitbit also links to my wellness account at work. Extra plus. I love their customer service. They replaced one for free with upgrade and when one malfunctioned, they gave me 50% off on One. Right now I am using ultra because the One fell out of my bra when I didn't clip it in and I packed it up during the move. But this ultra is working just fine.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Loved my FitBit One (it's the newer clip on style). I've lost and replaced several (loong story, my fault, not the FitBit's). I like how it syncs with MFP, I like how easy it is to tuck it away out of sight for work. While I can't wear it in the shower, that's only ~15 minutes a day (or 1% of the day). I like the "free" online support (e.g. no monthly fee to use the device).

I have had the FB One go through the wash several times on accident. It's not recommended, but mine didn't suffer any ill effects.

I have a separate device for heart rate measurement, I only use HR when I work out, so it's not important to me. The FitBit seems to agree for the most part with it for calorie burn.

Hope this helps.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/188/150

Height: 5'2

active link is water proof
SarainMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have a Fitbit Force (the newest iteration of Fitbit). It's the only fitness tracker I've ever had, so can't offer a comparison to other trackers but I did do a lot of research before buying and compared to Fuel and Jawbone - there are a lot of comparisons available online.

Positives:
Tracks steps, activity minutes, sleep, mileage, caloric burn (estimated), fluid intake, calorie intake. Some are automatically tracked (steps, minutes, mileage, caloric burn). Sleep you have to press and hold the button to enter sleep mode, pretty easy. It tracks how many times you wake, and how many minutes you are restless, and how long it takes you to fall asleep. Fluid and calorie intake are dependent on you entering the data manually. You can also add to activity - say you do something that isn't step related like weight lifting, you can add that yourself. It also has an alarm setting (it's a silent alarm that works by vibrating) that you can use to wake yourself. When you hit your target goal for the day it also vibrates to alert you. You can edit your target goal on the fitbit site.

I have found I am a LOT more active since getting my Fitbit. I am linked with friends, and we compete and motivate each other for more steps. My MIL also got one, and she brags to me about her steps and makes me want to step more to keep up (she's a very active woman!). I also never realized what a sloth I am naturally until I got my Fitbit, that was a wakeup call!

The force has a little screen so you can view your basic stats there but for more detail you either need a iPhone 4 or better or an Android phone or you can sync with your PC and look at your stats on fitbit's website.

Once a week Fitbit sends you a summary via email, which I think is cool. I plan to keep the summaries to take to my doctor's appointments- my doctor always wants to know how I'm sleeping, how much exercise I get, etc. This will be a visual for her to see exactly what I'm doing.

The only downsides on the Fitbit Force I've found so far:
It's not waterproof. You can get some splashes on it when washing hands, but you can't shower or swim with it.
The band is a little difficult to clasp.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 12-16-2013 at 02:50 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #6  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Those sounds pretty neat. Thanks for the info.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #7  
Less of a Better Me

I've had an Active Link, Fitbit One and now a Fitbit Force. I've discontinued my Active Link subscription.

The Active Link - to me - is like a number of WW products (it is actually made by Phillips). That is, it is a good idea but the implementation is poor as compared to non-WW products.

The Active Link just has so many negatives compared to a Fitbit. The Active Link will tell you if you've met your baseline each day and how many Activity points you've earned. It won't tell you anything else. And, you have to pay $5 a month for the privilege of using it.

The only real advantage is the telling you the Activity Points earned. However...you can largely do that through a Fitbit.

Advantages of the Fitbit:

1. You get a full-featured webpage with all sorts of information - calories burned, steps walked, floors climbed (for the One and Force), calorie deficit, very active minutes, distances traveled.

2. If you have a one or Force you get basic information displayed on the device. I can hit a button on my Force (or on the One) and see how many steps I've walked and calories I've burned, for example.

3. The first several days I owned the Active Link I was being evaluated so got no data. With the Fitbit you can use it right out of the box.

4. Fitbit has a higher upfront cost, but no monthly fee. You can subscribe to an annual premium subscription but it is entirely optional.

5. You can name more activities on Fitbit than you can on an Active Link so you get better data.

6. You can record your steps from your Fitbit as allday activity on WW and can get your activity points so really the Active Link is not all that superior on this area either.

I don't like on the Active Link how so much information that you know WW has is hidden from you. Calories burned, for example. Or on the Fitbit I record my food eaten (I use myfitnesspal which talks to Fitbit but you can do it directly in Fitbit) so each day I know what my calorie deficit is. I like being able to see all the numbers myself.

It was nice that the Active Link could be worn in the shower and my Force can't be. On the other hand, that is way too small of an advantage to make me put up with the very limited information from the Active LInk.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

I love my Active Link and fitbit both. I get a little rush when it adds up points.
dosbabe is offline   Reply With Quote