Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/ticker/118

Height: 5'5"

Default Help Me Guys

Okay so I have been trying to lose weight on my own for around 10 years now. I've done every diet and I guess it's not the diets that are the problem. I guess its my willpower. I don't have enough to stick to one. I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease and I desperately need to lose this weight, but every time I start a diet I'm ravenously hungry by nighttime and go off it. I'm not looking to take the easy way out and I don't think this decision was easy for ANY of you. I don't know what else to do anymore. I've been trying and failing for so long. I want to get a lap band, and I have insurance but I'm kind of discouraged as they want me to attend psychotherapy, nutritional counseling, and try medications before. I have to have a lengthy documented history that I've failed I guess. Well I have the lengthy history just not documentation. I'm also 5'4" and 219 so I don't know if I'm too "small" (bmi 36.5) for the procedure. But a great deal of my fat is in my abdomen, and I would think Non alcoholic fatty liver disease caused by my obesity would be my co-morbidity.

I really dont want to waste 10 more years of my life being unhappy while I'm slowly killing myself.
candykisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Ok. i hear you. it's REALLY hard, no matter which road you choose. let's start here. All insurance companies require a fair amount of hoop jumping - as you found out. one of the reasons for the nutritional counseling is to see if you can follow directions and stay with a program. No matter how ANYONE ends up losing weight, the important thing is that they find what works for them, AND STICK TO IT. and the psych counseling is very important - the goal is to find out if you understand what you're getting into, have a plan for getting support, and that you're committed to working on whatever head issues you might have.

Remember, we didn't get to the point of surgery because we had a HEALTHY relationship with food. We eat our emotions in many ways, and it's a factor in relationships. And as our relationships with food change, sometimes our relationships with people change as well. It's not easy by any means.

with the fatty liver, there's a good chance that you can qualify for surgery even though you're a RELATIVE lightweight [bet you never thought someone would ever call you a lightweight, did you!!!

And why are you thinking about the lapband? for some people it's a great choice, but for others, it's not the best. make sure to explore ALL options so that you go into this with your eyes wide open - this is about living for the rest of your life with your decision.

Last edited by jiffypop; 12-06-2013 at 12:10 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #3  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

From my relatively recent experience, *most* insurance companies are going to require ~6 months of documented medically supervised weight loss - so unless you're wanting to pay out of pocket, it's better to at least get started with this portion as soon as you can. My particular insurance company had a window of 24 months, so even if I'd had the medically supervised weight loss when I was younger, it wouldn't count.

Like Jiffy said, make sure you explore ALL of the options. Look at what you want to achieve, and look at the sacrifices you'll have to make to achieve that goal. Make sure you make the choice after researching all of the options, because going into this fully educated is important. You have to be aware of what you're "signing up for"

Good luck! I haven't had surgery yet, but just finished my medically supervised weight loss and I'd be happy to answer questions if I can. Otherwise, you're in good hands. The ladies here are fantastic!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post

Remember, we didn't get to the point of surgery because we had a HEALTHY relationship with food. We eat our emotions in many ways, and it's a factor in relationships. And as our relationships with food change, sometimes our relationships with people change as well. It's not easy by any means.

with the fatty liver, there's a good chance that you can qualify for surgery even though you're a RELATIVE lightweight [bet you never thought someone would ever call you a lightweight, did you!!!

And why are you thinking about the lapband?
Yes Jiffypop that's a big problem for me is I eat instead of dealing with my emotions. If I'm bored I eat, or lonely, or sad. Like tonight my son was gone with his Grandma for the weekend so I downed a cinnamon roll from Panera

And no, I never thought I'd be called a lightweight! LOL

The Lapband only because I thought that's what the FDA recently lowered the bar for to include lower BMIs like mine.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewme View Post
From my relatively recent experience, *most* insurance companies are going to require ~6 months of documented medically supervised weight loss - so unless you're wanting to pay out of pocket, it's better to at least get started with this portion as soon as you can. My particular insurance company had a window of 24 months, so even if I'd had the medically supervised weight loss when I was younger, it wouldn't count.

Like Jiffy said, make sure you explore ALL of the options. Look at what you want to achieve, and look at the sacrifices you'll have to make to achieve that goal. Make sure you make the choice after researching all of the options, because going into this fully educated is important. You have to be aware of what you're "signing up for"

Good luck! I haven't had surgery yet, but just finished my medically supervised weight loss and I'd be happy to answer questions if I can. Otherwise, you're in good hands. The ladies here are fantastic!
Hey Brandnewme, I'm SO happy for you that you are approved for surgery! Also, what does "Medically supervised weight loss" consist of exactly?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #6  
Motivation :)

S/C/G: 380/220/190

Hey, I'm just gonna throw it out there that you can't really fail if you didn't try in the first place and the fact you've tried & tried shows that the only thing you need is a little help and you'll be on your way to your next goals in life, I was sort of the same

I bid you good luck and hope for the best! don't stop trying!!
CovLad98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #7  
Just Me

Default Food for thought...

When I went through my six months, my fatty liver was not considered a co-morbidity. Had it developed into a Sclerotic stage, I'm sure it would have been different. However, some of the other health items they found during that time were. You will be surprised. At the time I was 34ish and some of the things they uncovered were diabetes, elevated cholesterol and high blood pressure. I was honestly not aware of ANY of those prior to the beginning of the process. BMI requirements were 35.

The 'history' they were looking for as far as weight issues, was pretty easily obtained by past pictures and doctor records showing my weight fluctuation over the years. Combining that with a statement that I had done weight watchers and low-carbing was sufficient.

I kinda want to say they gave me a pass on the Psychologist b/c I did not have a history of depression. If I had to see him/her it didn't make much of an impression. There has to be a big issue for that to hold you up.

Had to do sleep study. Oh yes, was diagnosed with sleep apnea - another co-morbidity that I was unaware of.

Had to attend at least one or two of the bariatric meetings a month, not a biggee. They were actually interesting and I went to more than required b/c I liked going.

Had to see the doctor managing your six month program monthly on a schedule. Don't ever miss those dates or you have to start over! Best thing to do on this is call the Bariatric M.D. that you want to work with before beginning and ask them for a few M.D. suggestions. They can tell you a few that know how it works and have worked well with them on a regular basis. You don't want a newbie managing 'the program'.

This is kind of the outline regardless of which WLS you choose.

As far as Lap-Band goes, or any WLS for that matter, think very hard about it. I'm 5'3 and weighed about 265 when I had my done in 12/09. In 2/10 when I went in for my 1st check, my port had to be revised surgically. So they scheduled the port revision for a week later. Just a fluke they said! No one knows why!

Weight loss was slow... Eventually I got down to about 215 and stayed there FOREVER! I know that is a decent weight loss but I don't eat much and I worked out a lot! It was just beyond me that I couldn't budge after the first 18 months out from surgery. Then my doctor tells me that I have Hypothyroidism. Great!!!

Finally I got close to 200 and down to about 195. But then I bounce back to 215. I do this constantly!

Now... would not having LB change the fact that I have Hypothyroidism? No. BUT - and this is a big but - if I had selected another form of WLS, I might have had better luck overcoming the challenge of continuing to lose weight with this.

So the moral to my story is this... Remember that you don't know what cards the future may throw at you. Take all things into consideration. Even taking thyroid disease out of the picture, since I didn't know about it prior to my LB and I don't have a family history of it, thinking back to the fact that I had just been diagnosed as a diabetic - my odds would be greater of not becoming medication dependent again (for diabetes) on another form of WLS that offers a stronger form of guidance/restriction/weight loss. A stronger form of guidance/restriction/weight loss may also equal more risk. More risk may be worth it given your family history and possibly any current health issues or hint of health issues (liver issues). Remember that the liver controls how your body distributes insulin, so this could be a future issue. This is one part of it that they really don't put enough pressure on when you are going through all of this.

I don't want to sway your or anyone by any means!!! Just think of the things I didn't think of!!! Yes, I'm so thankful that I bounce between 195 - 215 vs. weighing 265+. But, If I had truly focused more on my options and their longevity potential I may have been a little more open to at least considering whether or not a different WLS might yield better results! Not to mention that several people I know who got LB's around the time I did have already had them removed! Many for medical reasons *ugh*

On the flip side, I suppose it's better than doing nothing... I just don't know that I'd recommend it 100%.

Best of luck with whichever you choose!
AndIamWhereAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #8  
living in the moment

S/C/G: 100kg/81.2kg/58kg

Height: 158cm

wow, verrrrrry interesting. i would never have WLS because i have had so much NECESSARY surgery that i COULDN'T pick elective surgery. it's too awful!

having said that, i do of course, understand what you are going through. i also have hypo-thyroidism among other nasty things…oa, post-brain surgery complications, hypertension, anxiety, sweating, ...

anyway it's your choice in the end of course, candy just make sure you are WELL INFORMED.

i have been using optifast for 12 weeks now and i have lost 14.6 kilo's, that's 32 -ish pounds. you can do this without horrible surgery i'm sure.

i valso have tried EVERYTHING else, this seems to work for some reason. carb's are definitely an issue i think so i will go low-carb when i maintain (that is, if i actually LOSE my extra weight!)

...i am TOTALLY COMMITTED to the program so i won't keep the weight because of not sticking to the plan, if you get what i'm saying. i just want it to work, SOOOOO BADDD.

I hope like anything that this optifast meal replacement program works for me (it has so far, but i am on ANOTHER plateau - that makes about 4! every 2 or 3 kilo's lost, i reach a blasted plateau, and then, usually, hopefully a whoosh).

here's to whooshing!
saraphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #9  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

My medically supervised diet included having to keep a food and exercise long, incorporate habits like having a protein-forward diet, eating on a smaller plate, eating over 20-30 minutes, sipping water all day and getting up to 100+oz of water in, not drinking 5 minutes before or 30 minutes after a meal, and cutting out liquid calories (including my beloved coke that I *had* to have!).

I had to visit the NP and dietician monthly, and at each visit they had to go over my goals and see where I was at with them. Each visit also included a weigh-in.

I had to have a psychological evaluation. Mine was simple enough - met with the psych, she administered an IQ test, I did some computer testing, and then we had an "interview" session. She read through my history, discussed with my PCP, and then cleared me for surgery based on the results of everything.

I had to have an EKG to make sure I was safe to have surgery. I also had to have an ABG (arterial blood gas) because I am super morbidly obese, and the surgeon has found several patients in this category end up with pulmonary issues in the recovery phase.

I had to go to a seminar or view their DVD. I had to go to one of their support group meetings.

Your surgeon may require all of these, some of these, or possibly even none of these depending on your insurance requirements. Hope that helps.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovLad98 View Post
Hey, I'm just gonna throw it out there that you can't really fail if you didn't try in the first place and the fact you've tried & tried shows that the only thing you need is a little help and you'll be on your way to your next goals in life, I was sort of the same

I bid you good luck and hope for the best! don't stop trying!!
Thank you CovLady that was really sweet of you. I'm not gonna give up! One way or another I will get healthy. I have started calorie counting again and have a Drs. apt on Monday to see if we can start documenting all this, and starting any type of medically assisted plan I need to be on.

AndIamWhereAgain

Thank you that was all super helpful. I have had my thyroid tested, blood pressure, and checked for diabetes all which came back good. I haven't had a sleep study done though which I'm considering because I'm always super tired.

Hi saraphin I'm so glad you found something that worked for you! After doing some research into WLS I've seen that they have to work a ton to get approved, lose, and maintain their weight. I definitely don't think its an easy decision but one they've come to after they have exhausted all other possibilities. For me, in the short term, surgery isn't an option. Not after all the pre-approval stuff I found out I have to do. So I'm going to count m calories while still enjoying food I love in moderation, and hope this time sticks. If any of you are believers I'd appreciate the prayers

brandnewme I am a certified coke addict as well, coca cola that is! It's going to be the hardest thing for me to cut out. Right now I'm telling myself I can have it once a week, but eventually I'll try to tighten it up and go without it I can't stand Diet Coke either or I'd just substitute that. I made an apt with a Dietitian but couldn't get in until Jan. So we will see how that goes.

I took "before" pics today so I have something solid to measure my progress against. So here goes. *Deep Breath* I hope this time sticks.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

small changes, darlin. one step at a time. Don't try to do everything at once - it gets overwhelming. Try for one or two small things at a time - give it a few weeks until they feel comfortable, and then try one or two more.

so, for TODAY, maybe it'll be drinking anything else but sugared sodas. and next week, maybe it'll be taking a 15 minute walk every day. You get to choose!

so when you talk with your doc tomorrow, come up with a plan. no matter what the doc suggests, you will have to take it and make it work FOR YOU.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #12  

Hello Lovlies,

Just wanted to update that I'm doing calorie counting/weight watchers so I'll be hanging out in the WW thread more often. Down 4 lbs, little but it's a start. I so appreciate all of you and good luck on all of your journeys.

<3

My update thread
http://http://www.3fatchicks.com/for...-go-again.html