General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: see ticker (in kg)

Height: 6' 3"

Default Intermittent Fasting Support Thread

So as the last support thread has run over the 500 limit I thought I may as well start up the new one so everyone can continue to keep encouraging each other to stay on track. So here is the new thread for all different kinds of Intermittent Fasting support and encouragement .

I'm fairly new to IF and have been doing it for just over 9 weeks combining it with a relatively healthy diet and significant calorie deficit and have manged to drop an awesome 14.4kg (approx 31 pounds) in the 9 weeks I've been doing it as 18/6 mixing with 16/8. I hope everyone is able to help each other along and get the results you want. I shall keep updated as i head for my final dream goal i never would of believed i could have reached without IF.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #2  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

I have been on the 5:2 fasting diet and wow it has worked. Almost four weeks and down 10 pounds. I have tried just eating 500 calories all day or skipping two meals then having a 500 calorie meal and both work. However I feel more success with skipping two meals and having a nice meal. Plus every thing I have read about Intermittent fasting it is better to have a true fast day for the growth hormone and insulin.

ShrinkingStudent. Thanks for starting a new thread. Wow you have done great on IF. Have you been exercising? That is something I have to add but I am scared because every time I start I gain at first and I have worked so hard I just can't see the scale go up.

Well hope you have a great OP day.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #3  

Hey LoseToAll, mostly I've just been on a 7000 calorie weekly approx calorie defict, and some days going for an hour walk when i've been fasted for 12-20 hours. I think most of my easy loss comes from my young age and the fact that i will strictly follow my callories.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/154/120

Height: 5'2"

Hello fellow IFers! I just got done with the LONG IF thread and thought I would join this new thread! I have been on and off IFing since begining Sept. and I am down about 5 lbs. Since reading the other thread I decided that I will just stick to this...no more on and off!

Here is my plan. I will have a 5 hr. eating window (3:30-8:30) on work days only (M-F) I can easily get through my work day without eating. It is very hard for me to fast at home.

I am 52 yrs. old and plain old tired of counting anything (carbs, cals. points etc.) so I will not count cals. but just eat mindfully in my window. At this age I also know what food/drink (wine) I am not willing to give up even for weight loss. So hopefully the calorie deficit will help me lose weight even if it is slow.

Best to all!!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #5  
Funky

Jaob. Good for you figuring out a game plan. Losing a little at a time is better than not losing at all. I have been IF for a month and have lost almost 10 lbs. I am amazed. I have a hard time fasting on weekends too, so I just fast during the week.

ShrinkingStudent. Does that mean you are eating about 1000 calories average a day?

My 5:2 fast day is tomorrow. I have a goal to meet on Thursday and I am going to fast Tuesday and Thursday to meet it. Eating over the weekend was okay did not over do it but weekends are really hard for me to stay out of the kitchen. It is a new week to make my goals work.

Have a great OP day.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #6  

LoseToAll no, i'm kind of lucky as my height really brings up my basal metabolic rate at a nice 2370 calories. I usually eat between 1450 to 1650 a day, was kind of a shock from when i was eating the amount required for insanity.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #7  

Shrinkingstudent-you have done such a great job. You've inspired me to just stick with this! What is the kg/lb. conversion? It is amazing that at your height you can eat comfortably around 1500 cals. Sorry, but I forget what form of IF you are doing?

Losetoall-10 lbs. in a month is awesome! I always wanted to do JUDDD(500 cals. every other day) but just could never get there. I'd always want to EAT when I got home from work. Great that the 5:2 is working for you!

What I really want to be able to do is Eat Stop Eat (2-24 hr. fasts/week) But for now I will stick w/ my 19 hr. daily fasts and see how that goes!

Have a great Tues. all!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #8  

Jaob- A kg is about 2.2 pounds, so my weightloss from IF so far is 31 pounds and overal weightloss of 88 pounds in the last 11 months. I follow mostly the lean gains form of IF with a 6-8 hour eating window and you would be surprised how distanced i've become from food which allows me not really feel hungry at all and just eat how much i need. It is very wierd experience and mostly only breaks from the mistake of buying choclate or social events. I'm sure if you stick to it You're going to love yourself for it, don't feel bad if you have to open your window now and then and just keep going

Same goes to anyone reading just keep heading in a good direction guys/girls.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #9  

Thanks for the encouragement, Shrinkingstudent! I need to keep telling myself to stick with it. It is fairly easy with the way I've planned it out. I'm only going to weigh once a week. I get too discouraged if I see a gain and I tend to throw in the towel when that happens.
Yesterday went well. I usually have 1/2 and 1/2 in my morning coffee then only water during the day. Sometimes I sip on broth (10 cals./cup) if my tummy has that sour empty feeling. That helps alot. I found when I got home and started to eat that all of a sudden eating became less important. Knowing that I can eat what I want when I get home from work makes me feel less deprived (than daily cal. restriction) and then seems to make eating less important...if that all makes sense! So I see what you mean when you say you usually only end up eating what you "need".

Best to all!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 175/see me old ticker ... /145

Height: 5'8"

Default In week 2: so happy!

Hi!

I posted this at the very tail end of the long thread, so I thought I'd repost. I'm so glad to see a few folks a active here! And great work y'all!

I'm thrilled to be joining you folks. I'm one week in to a 5:2. I love fasting (always have!), and feeling great. I had a baby 7 months ago and can't shake the 25 extra pounds.

I plan to eat well most non-fast days, with occasional splurges. I have a terrible time finding time to exercise though. Do you think I will lose weight? Many folks imply that IF is only good for maintenance. I'll try to do some body weight strength work at least 2-3 times a week.

What do you folks think of doing 19/5 on top of the 5:2? I have to get the scale to move and it just won't, despite some real improvements in portion control! I know my set point is now 173 and my body will do anything to stay there.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #11  
Funky

Katie I am in the same situation as you. I have been doing 5:2 for a month and I have lost 10 pounds. Amazing but this weekend had a gain and I have decided I am going to do the 18/6 window too. I still count calories because I still want to feel in control. But I am new at this so I am just figuring it out.

Hope you have a great OP day.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #12  

Hello,
I would love to join. I am presently fasting 23 hours and eating one meal a day for 1 hour and also counting calories so I can be in control. Not sure if this is IF, but am doing great.
As I am 5'1" and old , I really have to watch calories, too.
Have a great day.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #13  

Katie and losetoall-I look forward to seeing how you do with 5:2 and an eating window. So will you have an eating window every day and then 2 days a week keep that eating window w/ 500 cals only?

shabbyvintagelady-wowthat you can fast 23 hrs. everyday! I really want to do 2- 24 hr. fasts per week and just can not seem to make it! I am a shortie and old too (5' 2" and 52 yrs. and feel older than I should)

Yesterday was another good day. I think it helps just to be posting here. I am enjoying wine in the evening, eating healthy foods that I like. Yesterday was celery stuffed w/ egg salad, 2 chicken wings, sunflower seeds (I can eat an amazing amount of these!) glass of chardonnay, later a glass of red wine.

Have a great Thursday
Old 11-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/see me old ticker ... /145

Height: 5'8"

Hey, all!

@jaob: So for my 5:2 I have been eating normally but healthfully for 5 days, and then fasting with only 500 calories a day, whenever I want them. I have to say that I *tend* to eat less on my open days. Yesterday was a horrible day, but I am just going to write it off and forge onward. Thankfully today is a fast day. Generally on days when I fast I find I do better when I simply do not start eating, i.e., if I eat a little something for breakfast I find I am hungry all day. If I simply don't eat and just drink my two big cups of coffee, I can easily make it to dinner.

Work is kind of a bust right now (our boss told us 4 of the 40 of us will get laid of, but no notices yet). This is both stressful and motivating.

Keep going everyone!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Is there a section for the 5:2 Fast Diet anywhere. Glad to see so many people doing well wit IF.

Pat
Closed Thread