~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Default December Chat

Welcome to all of our diabetic friends
Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good Morning! I didn't even realize it is now December. Thanksgiving is behind us but the holiday season is still in full swing for most of us and we need to continue to be diligent.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi friends: sounds like folks did well with Thanksgiving, so be thankful!
I was good this week on plan, and did plan to splurge last night at supper. I took oldest DD and the rest of the family out for her birthday. We decided on Peking Duck and other chinese food. Went to a place that DSIL recommended, as his family goes there, along with half the chinese population of Scarborough, it seems. The duck was delicious. I had never had it before. The first course, is the skin and some meat, the 2nd is the rest of the meat removed from the bone, diced up and stir fried with chopped veggies, we had is with lettuce leaves for wraps. I skimped on the hoisin sauce that goes with it, as that is quite sugary. We had several other dishes, and I didn't have rice, but did have a few noodles from the cantonese chow mein. I didn't weigh today, because we all know who much we retain water with the salty food. No dessert, we were all full. I did stop when I got full, before I was stuffed or uncomfortable.
I plan to be quite careful with food until Saturday again, when we have a work holiday party. (by careful I mean low carb)
How is everyone planning to get through December? At this point, I just have a few occasions to plan for, a little worried about things that "just come up".
That can be very difficult to deal with.
Have a good start to the week everyone.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Can it be December already? Boy how time flies. Thanks Rennie for starting our new month.

Fatmad You really made some good choices at the Chinese restaurant. Of course the salt always shows up on me the next day or two.

We don't have big plans for December. DGS who lives with us on weekends has a birthday Wednesday and we are taking him out to local Steakhouse so that will be REALLY easy to stay OP with steak, salad and steamed veggies. I will let DGS and hubby hit the bread. I don't really like their version of a blooming onion so no big temptation there.

The church family who usually has everyone out to their place for Christmas isn't doing that any more I'm sure because we've grown too many to house besides the mother of one the wives has been in and out of the hospital lately. DGS is going to FL for 3 weeks to visit his Mom, Dad and family there. So unless my DS decides to come back for Christmas which I don't think they can, it looks like it will just be DH and me here for Christmas. So most of what I will be eating this month will be OP. The only thing I plan to eat off plan is a piece of pecan pie Christmas day.

Carol Sue Yep, we made it through the holidays behind us and hopefully we can do as well with the 2 left.

We didn't go out for breakfast this morning. DH and I went to Walmart after church to pick up a few things. Eating breakfast at home made it so much easier to stay OP. I am really into this now and don't want to do anything to mess it up. My FBS is coming down nicely. This is day 3 eating Primal and my FBS has come down to 172 this morning. Weight has stayed the same 2 days in a row. Hopefully it will stabilize and then start going down.

Enjoy your Sunday everybody.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #5  

Is anyone here on any other diabetes meds besides Metformin? I was also on Amaryl when I was first diagnosed but my PCP took me off of it almost immediately. I was able to control my BS for a long time with just Metformin but am now considering going back to Amaryl. The bad thing is it increases the chances of hypoglycemia and also is known to cause weight gain. I don't want to deal with either of these issues if I can avoid it.

Trish, we have eliminated most of our restaurant eating. We used to eat out so much but it gets expensive. It offers us the opportunity to each order what we want, but sometimes I end up eating when I'm not really hungry. Most of the restaurants offer a huge breakfast, with eggs, bacon, potatoes, and bread. If you order ala carte you end up paying as much for just eggs as for the breakfast specials.

I was reading about Primal. One statement stuck in my mind.

80% of your body composition is due to what you eat rather than exercise.

I agree with that. It said that although exercise is good for you, to lose weight you HAVE to adjust your diet. I have seen so many discussions about this, where some people tout exercise for weight loss and others, diet.

Mad - The thing about water weight is it's just water weight, not fat. Water weight will be gone in a few days but fat hangs around forever. LOL Even thin people who seem to eat whatever they want get water weight sometimes from eating high sodium. They don't jump on the scale and worry about those couple pounds because they know it will be gone. I think increasing your water consumption will get rid of it faster. The main thing is you are getting sufficient protein and limiting your carbs. Good job!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Checking in after a week of debauchery - just the food type, of course. My problem with visiting my pal Linda is that there ware way too many tempting carbs. I did try to keep my evil twin in check but we shall see what the scale and tester say in the morning. I did remember to bring along my meds and even remembered to take them.

By the way my diabetic meds are: 1500 Metfromin, 30 ml glicazide and 18 ml Victoza. The Met is split to three times a day and the rest of the stuff is a.m. It seems to work for me - as long as I remember to take them!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Welcome back Ruth, glad you had a good time, even if you did overindulge a bit. Time with good friends is always well spent.
Weight is back down nicely, and I will stay on plan today. I managed to convince myself to take the dog to the trail, even though I am a bit tired, being up late for work last night.
I have another mediation session tonight. This is a bit stressful, even if it will help the work atmosphere in the long run.
Well, snack before I go off to that.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

Well, I cannot believe the scale but it said 187 this morning. It was 193 eight days ago! Must have been wrong because I sure cannot lose that much in a week - especially a week when I ate pecan pie, red velvet cake and coconut cream pie plus Italian cookies, etc!

Today I am heading for the grocery to stock up on veggies. I just do NOT like frozen veggies! Right now I have a lentil soup started and want to add carrots and green onions to the mix. It's definitely soup season here in the Great White North.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #9  

Ruth - My MIL used to make homemade lentil soup and I wouldn't even try it. It did not look appetizing. Once I decided I should add some healthy lentils to my diet I tried Progresso and it was good, but I've never had homemade to compare it to. I also bought some off brand once and I didn't like the soup, but I drained and rinsed it and just ate the lentils. They still had some flavor to them from being in the soup. I believe lentils are the healthiest of the bean family.

I eat mostly frozen veggies because since my husband isn't real big on veggies it's hard to keep fresh ones from going bad before I eat them all. With frozen, I can cook the portion size that I want and put the bag back in the freezer. Plus I don't like raw veggies. They have to be cooked.

Ruth, don't try to analyze what the scale says. Just accept it! I would! LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #10  

I just finished exercising, the first in a while. My body wanted to stop, but I kept saying "A couple more minutes," and ended up doing 45 minutes and hating every minute! LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #11  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hey guys I know I havn't been around much but I have been busy, Plus it seems like I get a awful amount of tracking cookies from this site. I have a awful lot of stressful stuff going on lately I am so down in the dumps it crazy plus trying to get ready for Christmas and then get all this decorating done around here.
I hope all is ding fine I will try to come back jest depends on my computer I am getting a new one , Till later
Old 12-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #12  

I'm so glad to hear from you Bonnie! I am sorry to hear that you are so down. Things have to turn around soon for you! There's just too much on your shoulders.

Glad to hear your getting a new computer. Then there's no excuse for not coming here.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Carol Sue, you have inspired me to clear the "stuff" off my treadmill and I may even get on it today! Weightloss is diet related but we need to exercise for fitness. My friend Anna turned 85 yesterday and still goes to the gym MWF at 7:30. She's my idol. I want to be Anna when I grow up.

Bonnie, I was wondering where you were. Sorry you are down and I am wishing very hard for something great to happen to you and yours soon.

Weight is still 187 - I hope it's just resting up for the next downward plunge. I am well stocked with healthy foods so ...

Unfortunately I'm heading into the December social stuff - an open house tonight at an upscale catering, flower and gift shop in the next town. I'm hoping she has lots of veggies and her fancy-dancy dips. I may skip eating supper until later - if at all!

Shhhh but I turn 75 on January 14 - that's 3/4 of a century. I sure would like to be on the cusp of the 170s by then. I sure need to stiffen my resistance muscle as we start the "Festive Season". Mad, will you join me?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #14  

Good for you Ruth, getting back to the treadmill! Every time I see older people having a hard time getting around it reminds me to get back to exercising. You're right, it's important for so many things. It tones your muscles, keeps your joints loose, strengthens your heart and lungs, lower BS and BP, cholesterol and triglycerides and brightens your mood! My mother's family all died relatively young from heart problems, in their 60's mostly. Except for my uncle, her youngest brother. He lived to be 91 and was pretty active, still driving, except for the last couple months. He told me that he went out and walked every day, rain or shine. I never forget him telling me that. I mostly do it to lower my BS and BP.

Well, your open house was yesterday so it's too late for advice, but I would skip dinner or have something really small instead of risking adding unneeded calories.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Would you believe I completely forgot the Open House, made a meatloaf and stayed home by the fire. Remembered it this morning when a friend messaged me on FB with a "Where were you?" Probably just as well.
Closed Thread