South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default On Plan Thread, December 9-15

It's time for a new week of talking On-Plan! This is the place for South Beach meal plan and food support, encouragement and questions.

Anyone, from any phase (1, 1.5, 2, 3, etc.) can post, and those who are new to 3FC are especially encouraged to do so!

This thread is for questions, sharing advice and strategies, and encouraging each other to stay on plan. It is not for chatting about daily life unrelated to this topic. Members have indicated that they would like to have chatting remain in the Daily Thread, so any posts that are off topic or chatty will be moved by the mods to the Daily.

People in different phases of South Beach post here so it will help everyone if you indicate what phase you're in when you post. Thanks!

While you may certainly find, from time to time, the need to ask for help after going off plan, remember that this thread is about staying on plan. When you share details of off plan foods you've eaten, it can upset, tempt, and otherwise frustrate other members, so please keep these details to a minimum.

So, share with us: How are you staying on plan this week?

How's it going for you?

Of course feel free to share your daily on plan menu
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

I've been sticking very close to plan these past few weeks and the scale isn't showing much movement either direction excepting the daily fluxuations. That right where I want to be during the holidays!

I've been focusing on Veganbefore6pm, which helps keep me out of a lot of "stuff" during the day. My coworkers have been mentioning I've lost more weight so I've decided to modify my plan to Ph 1 plus fruit and see where I end up in a few days. Fruit doesn't affect me in any way and its an integral part of my morning power smoothie.

Have a great week everyone!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Yesterday, not so great. Not so bad either but a bit off-plan.
Weight is up to reflect the additional carbs

Phase 2 if I have the fruits with dessert. No grains.

B - Coffee with us coconut milk. Omelet burrito! (just eggs cooked into a flat omelet wrapped around refried beans, cheese, spinach, salsa, nonfat Greek yogurt)
L - Leftover Turkish spinach soup (something like this but no butter or flour, vegetable stock). Very warming on a cold day. Big green salad with Annie's Goddess Dressing
S - Broccoli and peppers with hummus. Green tea.
D - Spaghetti squash deep dish pie made with cottage cheese and veggie pepperoni. And spinach. Yes I have a lot of spinach right now so it's working its way into every meal.
dessert - Greek yogurt. Maybe a clementine or some Ruby Red grapefruit segments - yum, love this time of year for citrus

Last edited by EmmaD; 12-09-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/166/135

Height: 5'3

Hi Everyone!

Well this is it - the last day of Phase One!!! So excited to weigh in tomorrow and to add in some cereal!!!

Today was a good day exercise wise....I was up and at the gym super early and I did 40 minutes of cardio, 40 minutes of weights, 10 minutes of stretching and still to come is a cold walk with the dog after dinner....I am feeling pretty motivated and I have to say - thinner and lighter!!!

Food today was another story - I didn't eat badly I just didn't eat enough...I am just not hungry anymore....weird....so this is what today looked like....

Breakfast - 2 pieces of cheese and a V8
Lunch - a bowl of vegetable beef soup
Dinner - a cheese omelet with some chicken bacon (breakfast for dinner - yumm!!!)
Snacks -2 PB cookies and a glass of milk

Am I supposed to force myself to eat all my meals and snacks or just let my body decide when it is hungry??

I hope you are all having a great day!

Samm
Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Debbie thanks for starting us off!

Samm glad to hear thing are going well, phase 1 can be difficult, but you seemed to make it through very well. As for letting your body decide when its hungry... personally that is how I do it, not saying that it is necessarily right, just right for me. That being said its important to watch your calorie intake when doing so, a bare minimum would be 1200 calories a day... going below that will eventually stall your weight loss, I speak from experience. While SBD isn't about counting calories; calories always count!
I hope you enjoy that cereal tomorrow morning

On to my menu
Phase 2

***day off, slept in.. had more of a snack for breakfast as a result***

WW triscuts w/ light cream cheese
V8

Pizza omelette w/ turkey pepperoni, roasted red pepper, jalapeno & Renees garlic lovers dressing (just a little drizzle)

Peanuts & raisins (not SBD, don't be like me)

Meatballs (homemade, no bread crumbs) w/ nsa marinara & fresh parm
Green beans
Brocolli
Glass of skim milk

Cheese string (if munchie in a bit)
Old 12-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 5"

Hi All!

I've been so crazy busy I haven't been planning my meals in advance. Fortunately, I have lots of healthy options around. I finished off a big pot of veggie soup over the weekend. I also made a batch of the brown rice and lentil stew in the recipes section (was awesome). I had some for breakfast today and though I was scared I would have a sugar crash before noon, I stayed level all morning and though I was hungry at 12:30 when I finally had lunch, I wasn't shaky or light headed. It's rare that I can go 4+ hours without a snack. Score one for lentils!

Sticking to the program pretty well in spite of lack of planning. I see it will get more difficult as parties and baking are looming. The sweets don't seem to thrill me that much at this time.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #7  

Good Morning!!

Well today officially marks the end of Phase One for me! And after finally weighing myself today - I am down 9lbs!!!! What!?!?!? I am so excited!! This works!!! Sorry....had to share....lol

I am adding in cereal today (Fiber One) - I have decided to add things in one at a time just to see how my body reacts. What do I have to expect at the beginning of Phase Two - will I gain...will I stall?

My day looks like this; (feel free to comment)

Breakfast - Fiber One Cereal with Milk and a V8 (and some sort of protein)
Lunch - Chili with a salad
Dinner - Lazy day cabbage rolls (I can't wait!!! )
Snacks - Hard-boiled egg with hot sauce, sf jello and 2 PB cookies with a glass of milk

RiverGirl - I am going to try just listening to my body and feeding it when it is hungry....I have gone so long just mindlessly eating that this is a new and strange concept for me...lol...but I will be aware of my calorie intake at the same time - thanks!

Well tomorrow is a Christmas work lunch for the managers - turkey and all the trimmings....there will be options that are on plan for sure but it is the first time since starting SB that I will be faced head on with temptation.... Does anyone have any strategies that have worked for them in avoiding this???

Time to start the day! Have a great Tuesday!!

Samm
Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #8  

Congrats on 9lbs in phase 1, Samm!

Count down: 10 days until Christmas break!

I'm doing ok today. Still not well planned out. I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer this morning, thus not sure what dinner will be.

I finally remembered to weigh myself, but it was after breakfast and all that morning stuff. I usually WI before I drink my coffee and eat. I was down 2 lbs from my last WI anyway. I got off the scale and weighed again, just to be sure it was right Mental, I know.

I'm very happy with 2 lbs especially considering I've added some grains back and I expected to put back water weight.

Food today:
Breakfast: WW bagel w/ 2 tsp Peanut butter
Lunch: 2 C raw veggies, 2 turkey pepperoni sticks, 1 oz cheese
snack: apple & yogurt
Dinner: TBD maybe salmon since it thaws fast... salad, frozen veggies
Old 12-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #9  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

mmmm lentils, great idea!

Phase ? 2 because of the carrots in the lentil soup, no grains
B - Coffee with us coconut milk. Cauliflower protein pancakes with sf syrup and 1 veggie breakfast patty sausage.
L - Spaghetti Squash Deep Dish Pie, big green salad
S - broccoli and pepper strips with roasted garlic hummus
D - Lentil soup! with spinach added. Brussels sprouts salad.
S - Greek yogurt.

Exercise: 1 hour yoga
I'm down ~3.5 lbs since getting back on plan last week.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #10  

Emma,

Would you share your recipe for cauliflower protein pancakes? I searched the SBD board, but nothing came up. I'd love to try them!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #11  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
Emma,

Would you share your recipe for cauliflower protein pancakes? I searched the SBD board, but nothing came up. I'd love to try them!
Hi Cindy - WELL - I use various different recipes, depending on my mood/ingredients I have/SBD phase I am in ... but the gist of it is that you find any SBD-compliant pancake recipe (Phase 1 or 2) and add steamed mashed cauliflower to it. You can taste the cauliflower *little* but I don't mind. I also do the same trick with zucchini in the summer.

I do high-protein pancakes in particular, which typically include protein powder. I use various kinds of protein powder, unsweetened.

So here is one recipe I like: The Best Protein Pancakes!
Here is one for Phase 2 with oatmeal: Fluffy Cauliflower Protein Pancakes

Here is what I have learned from experience:
  1. Fresher cauliflower is better, less cauliflower smell
  2. I use 100g raw/serving
  3. I weigh the cauliflower, then steam in the microwave with a splash of water for 3 minutes, then use an immersion blender to puree. If you use it raw it is still crunchy in the pancake. I just add the rest of my ingredients to the bowl I microwaved and pureed the cauliflower in.
  4. I often freeze 100g portions of pureed cauliflower for use later. The easiest way is to do one 100g batch, put in ice cube trays or muffin tins and see how much it fills after steaming & pureeing. Then do the rest, approximating the same amount so you know what a single-serving size is. Silcone is awesome for this use. I have a big muffin tray, an ice cube tray and I just bought the individual muffin cups.
Unrelated to the cauliflower topic, I add flax meal to almost any pancake I am making (just might need a splash more water) and a whole teaspoon of cinnamon (really doesn't taste that strong when mixed in...).

Hope this helps at all!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Well my 1 day Ph1 plus fruit brought the scale back down (4#) so I'm just a pound off my ticker. I can live with that during the holidays. I had intended another day today then an unplanned lunch got in the way.

Congrats, samm, on finishing p1 and having such a great result!

Emma, thx for the info on the cauli pancakes! I haven't tried them....I have a sprouted grain mix I usually use.

samm, you had asked about all the holiday parties. It's sure harder when all the food is supplied but it really does easier as you get more practice. The hardest, I'm sure for many, is the desserts/sweets. I just remind myself that those desserts will always be available. I, personally, am not great with the "just one" idea. It seems once I start I always have more. I love potlucks because I just bring a SBD approved dessert, and usually a nice salad, since I really like my own salads these days.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

Samm I do the following:

Don't focus on what you "can't" have, just take your time, eat slowly and really enjoy what you "can" have. For whatever reason, when I think that I "can't" have that corn, I just makes me want it all the more, so I don't even give it a thought.... if that makes sense.

Also having some sugarfree minty gum on hand, after you eat, chew a piece of gum so you are less tempted by those post meal sugary sweets.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #14  

Thanks for the advice Lexxiss and RiverGirl!! I am still feeling a little nervous about tomorrow but fingers crossed!!!

Today didn't go exactly as planned - my eating was all OP but with the bitter cold weather I just felt unmotivated and well just...blah.....so I didn't make it to the gym....but I did get the dog out for a 20 minute brisk walk.....so better than nothing....lol

Well I am off to bed to read for a bit......

Have a great night!

Samm
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #15  

Thanks for all the info, Emma! I will definitely try these on the weekend. I love cauliflower everything- mashed, roasted, etc. I suspect I will love these as well! My hubby will laugh- he knows I'm addicted to cauliflower

The weather is so insanely cold here today that we decided to book a last minute trip to mexico over the christmas break. I'm so excited to get away from the cold! I'm not as excited to be in a bathing suit. Good motivation to stay OP!

Plan for today:
Breakfast: 1/2 WW bagel w/natural peanut butter
Lunch: Big salad with chicken, olives, tomatoes & steamed cauliflower
Snack: Apple & greek yogurt
Dinner: DH wants to go out, so TBD (again)
I will be reading up on eating out, so I can make the best choices (hopefully not limited to salad).
Closed Thread