Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #1  

Default Small things that have changed my life

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a bit of my story. For a few years now I had been feeling ill, I would get daily headaches, feel very tired, feel depressed, I just did not feel healthy. I did get checked out by my doctor several times and everything was fine. I started to take oral contraceptives to "regulate" my hormones, wellbutrin for more energy and to help boost my mood. I was looking for more fixes. And then I tried exercising. I cannot tell you what a miracle it has been in my life. I feel soooo much healthier, I feel very happy, I have energy and I went off a lot of the unnecessary medications I was on. We get told that we should be physically active all the time but I did not really see the importance until I tried it myself. I feel like its a secret that I have discovered.

The best part is that I have not gone to the gym once (I hate the gym). I get my exercise by going for long slow or short fast walks, and doing cardio types of exercise at home when watching TV.

I have 2 more tips for weight loss which have worked for me. Whenever I want a treat, such as chocolate or something, I buy it, then go home and throw 75% of it away, eat the quarter very slowly. I figured that I should not think of it as a "waste of money" because it is not healthy food. This also satisfies my cravings.

Another tip for students. I have to study many hours every day and I noticed that moving my legs up and down as I read or getting up to walk around as I memorize details has not only helped with the weight loss but has also improved my concentration, kept me from feeling cold, and also stops me from feeling sleepy.

I just felt like to share this with you all because these little things are making a huge difference in my life.
lacunae2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I'm glad you found something that works for you, but wasting food will never be part of my plan!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
I'm glad you found something that works for you, but wasting food will never be part of my plan!!

I totally understand where you are coming from. I do feel guilty for that as well. Instead you can also give that extra portion to someone else?

The point is, if I suffer a heartattack from being obese down the road, I am not going to think "well at least I did not pass up on the free donuts they gave us at work every day". Think of it as not wasting but spending on a healthier life.
lacunae2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I often did the giving away thing. Our cafeteria sells cookies in packs of four, I would buy the pack, eat one, and give the other 3 away
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 135/135/110

Height: 5 ft 3

I give away food as well. I love, love, love chocolate but I love seeing my friends enjoy it just as much. Might as well share- less unhealthiness but still lots of happiness to go around.
Sunnyserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/298/280

Height: ~6'3

I'm glad you've found things that work for you. That's been a big part of things for me.

I will never be able to throw food away, either!
CJinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

lacunae2009 -- I'm glad you've found strategies that work for you!

I'm right there with you on the exercise, I exercise mostly for the happy high I get from it, it is a wonderful mood elevator for me!

And if throwing away 75% of a junk food treat worked for me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm glad you found a way to satisfy your cravings without overindulging!

Go you!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I have thrown food away when I thought I couldn't resist it. But I don't buy it in order to intentionally throw it away. I just buy a small portion.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #9  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I have had to throw away a lot of food ... but I hate doing it. My husband is a professor so I usually give extra treats to him and he distributes them to the students in his lab.

I also find that if I buy something 'as a test of my willpower' and work it into my meal plan, I can usually handle having it in the house. By this I mean, I think long and hard before I buy them, and say something like, "three of these cookies add up to 100 calories. Thus, I can have three as a snack today, three more on Thursday, and the final three of Sunday. I need to learn how to handle non-plan food, and these cookies will help prove that I am stronger than my cravings."

If I do that, it usually works. If, however, I buy the same bag of cookies on impulse, I will devour them in one sitting.

I'm trying to train myself so I can have and enjoy a 'normal' serving and not lose control. It's hard as heck.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #10  

I've thrown out food and bought food knowing that I would throw out the portion cause I wanted the gratification of buying a full package. I don't do it anymore, but now I try to remember to go on sites like thehungersite or freerice to donate food online. Too bad I didn't do that while I was throwing away food!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I feel the same way about exercising. Sometimes I actually do it more for the mental benefits than for the weight loss.

Good luck on your journey!
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote