Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #1  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Talking Merry Christmas To Me?!

Hello! I once was an active member, and then life happened and I stopped posting. I have lurked off and on for years, and in that time, a lot has happened.

I started my 6 months' supervised medical weight loss on July 1st. On July 3rd, I met with the dietician and had an EKG. I was scheduled to have my psych evaluation on July 15th. The EKG came back abnormal, so I had to see a cardiologist in the morning of July 15th and had my psych evaluation most of the afternoon - talk about a head case! The cardiologist gave me the all clear after some additional testing, but I will need to be watched fairly closely because my maternal grandma passed away from a heart attack at 52 and my mom had a heart attack at 54. The psych evaluation went well, and I was given the okay to proceed.

The next several months were a whirlwind. Each month I went in and saw the NP and the RD, and I had to have my food & exercise log as well as meet specific monthly goals. Today was my final 6 month appointment. I have not lost a lot over the last few months (I'm down about 12lbs from when I started going in), but I have met all of their expectations, so I am clear for takeoff!

I meet with the surgeon tomorrow, I do my preop class on the 10th, and dun dun DUN.. surgery is scheduled for December 23rd. This will be my only gift for myself for a long time I am ecstatic and terrified at the same time. I can't imagine what life will be like, but I know that it's bound to be better than the mess that I have been living for the last several years.

I will stop by more as time closes in, and certainly after surgery. I just wanted to share my excitement and let those who are still trucking along with the medically supervised weight loss part of it that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If I can get here, so can you!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh MY!!!! things have sure been happening!!!! and congratulations!! on making the decision, on sticking with the appointments, the plan, everything.

So, let me ask you this Q: what have you learned from this process? one of the things that was hardest for me was not eating my emotions. in fact, it's STILL a challenge.

How's your family coping with these changes? and how long do you expect to be in the hospital? good grief - i hope you're out on Dec 25!!! could happen, ya know.

so happy for you!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Brandnewme, what a coincidence! I had my last visit of the 6-month supervised diet, today, too! My chart will be sent in this week to my insurance company and only if/when I am approved will I get an appointment with the surgeon. I hope to have that visit this month, with surgery in January.

What a great Christmas present you are giving yourself - a new tool to help you achieve great health! I wish the best for you, and will watch for updates on your journey.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #4  
learning to live

Eating my emotions has been tough for me too. One of the biggest things I found was that I take so much time to take care of other people that I don't leave enough time for myself. Time-wise, figuring out how to take the time to pack lunches, make meals, and sit down and eat for 20-30 minutes was tough. I had to reset my entire daily routine because I'd skip breakfast, eat lunch on the run, and then have a large meal at night. With the medical weight loss, I *had* to eat 3 meals a day, and I had to have 20g protein each meal, and I had to limit carbs, calories in general, and salt. The RD really helped set me up for success because I was essentially expected to eat like I already had WLS.

My family goes back and forth with this. My mom is having a tough time because she feels like she'll be the only one who's overweight. They are generally supportive, but I am honestly at the point where I would have gone through with it even if they didn't support my decision.

Supposedly I will be out by the evening of the 24th, as long as everything goes okay. We'll see. Because of the holiday, I don't doubt that they will try to kick me out!

Jane, congrats on finishing your 6 months! You'll have to keep me updated. We can be surgery buddies Mine was scheduled before insurance auth because the surgeon will be out of town for part of December, and I work for the hospital so it was all coordinated based on available time off and etc. I am pretty fortunate, but my insurance typically covers WLS without too much of a fuss anyway. It's a hospital-owned insurance company so they are more than happy to cover it when it's their own surgeon performing the surgery!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #5  
learning to live

Just wanted to update.. my surgery was delayed until 12/30, so tomorrow is the day! I will check back once I'm on the loser's bench!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #6  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

Congratulations on your big step. I have just started the process myself. I have had the initial meeting with the supervised weight loss person. Starting just before Christmas was a hard thing. I gave in for that period and am trying to get on track now. My dd just moved to Canada and the last few days have been VERY emotional for me. She left last night and I spent most of the night crying. She is going there to get married. So all my thoughts are on her right now and I need to get it back to me as well. I HAVE to do this for me. I have so many health issues because of the excess weight. All the people I know who have had it done say they only wish they had done it sooner! So I hope everything goes wonderfully for you and I look forward to hearing about your success! Take care!
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

Good luck tomorrow. Good thoughts and wishes to you.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #8  

I just want to say,Good luck on surgery,and hope all goes well for you.
My daughter in law will be going through surgery in Jan,2014.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #9  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Best wishes. I will be thinking of you today!
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #10  
GmaTo8

Brandnewme - give us a report as soon as you can! I hope all went well.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #11  
learning to live

Well, I am officially on the other side! It went very well. I don't have too many complaints, other than the sleepiness that just won't go away. I feel more awake this evening than I have since before surgery, so hopefully that trend will continue.

Some pain post-op, but most of it was of the gas variety so I stopped using pain medication the same day I had surgery (which apparently baffled the nursing staff, because they kept reminding me to use my PCA button). Much of the gas pain has gone away, though there are still some pockets that move around and make their presence known.

I had some nausea and vomiting yesterday morning, but no real problems since then. I have been home since yesterday afternoon, and I am feeling more and more human as the time passes. I got up and took a shower this afternoon and I am sipping sipping sipping.. no real protein yet, but my doctor said to try to get the water and other fluids in first.

I have to do a week of clear liquids, a week of full liquids, a week of pureed, and a week of soft foods. I'm most worried about the pureed because of the texture. Otherwise, I am not hungry, and seeing commercials or food posts or etc hasn't set off my hunger induced rage, so I think I'm doing pretty well!

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #12  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

Glad to hear all went well with your surgery. Take good care of yourself and keep us posted on how you are feeling.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

cheering you on!!!!! sounds like you're off to a great start
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote