Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up (Re)Starting Atkins after 20 years

Hi Everyone,

Thumbs up on a great decision: I am ready to commit and take care of my health - now. As I updated my signature line, I was faced with the reality of carrying 52 pounds more than my body needs. UGH.

About 4 years ago, I slimmed down (probably too far) on a very restrictive food plan (not Atkins). Since it wasn't a lifestyle change, it only took one year to gain it all back, plus a few extra pounds. About 20 years ago, I slimmed down via Atkins, became physically active and kept the weight off for about 7 years. The interim years have been a roller coaster of life events and fad diets.

For the last 3 years, I'd given up and indulged in one long emotional overeating binge, and lots of denial. I eat good quality food, just way too much of it. A recent audit of how much of my budget is spent on food was another wake-up call. And within days of starting a food diary, I realized how excessive my eating has become. Also noted was the impact that sugar and refined grains (ANY flour) has on my mood and physical stamina. Both sugars and grains are difficult for me to eat in moderation, and result in debilitating mood swings and a profound loss of energy. Walking up or descending a flight of stairs leaves me winded -- an unpleasant and scary feeling.

Today, I reserved a copy of Dr. Atkin's Diet Revolution (2000 edition) at the library; it should be ready for pick up in a few days. This afternoon, I shopped to make the kitchen "induction friendly." So, tomorrow morning, I'm ready to roll!

I would like to check in here regularly. Group support is very important to me and has proved to be a great boost, particularly on challenging days.

Thanks for being here,

I am "Ready2BThinna" <---- and this time I really mean it!
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #2  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Congratulations and Welcome!!! You will find a lot of support on this forum!! I am an Atkins re-starter too!! 50 pounds around 10 years ago - This time 45 weeks in and 47 pounds down - It has been much, much slower but I am determined to change my habits and plan for maintenance which is where I always fall down!! My biggest issue is portion control....

My journey started with Atkins choices, next was online support, then I added exercise, next was checking portions/calories in addition to Atkins (that was a reality check) - now it is sticking to the plan and not returning to other ways of eating/living!! It is a journey!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

back to Atkins!
I've been doing Atkins 9 and a half years now and it is definitely a lifestyle change.
If I can do it, so can you!!
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Seriously considering this. I was very successful when I was in my 40's and am wondering how it will work now that I'm in my 70's. I am off to PA this week to visit a vegetarian friend so it's definitely not going to be the week to start.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #5  

Welcome back! I've been on the program for 6 years now and after a steady loss until I had lost 53 lbs I am rather settled in to about 140 lbs (give or take a pound each morning).

I'm 70 years old with no health problems so I don't have to work around diabetes or the like but Dr. A says if you have Diabetes you need to keep in contact with your Doctor because your counts will come down pretty quickly and you'll probably need your meds adjusted as you go along.

I have my blood work done each year because my Doctor thinks no-one really gets to age 70 without being on a statin!!!!!!! REALLY??? I've been proving him wrong to this point and I really want to continue to prove him wrong.

At first I found it very difficult to keep my fats up to 75% of my intake because we had been sold the low-fat ideas all my adult life. After a few blood work results it became clear that Dr. A. had it right and I no longer struggled with the conflict. Many days my fat is at 80% of my daily intake and my carbs are often at 2 or 3%. It is so worth the effort to keep it clean.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/155/125

Height: 5' 3.5"

Good morning everyone.

I too am coming back to Atkins/lowcarb. I followed lowcarb back in 2004 and lost all the weight I wanted. Then got married and we had three kids. The funny thing is that before each pregnancy I got close to my goal weight and during each I gained healthy. My issue was that after pregnancies instead of losing weight I started gaining, lol.

So I am back again and hopefully this time I would lose the weight for good, no more pregnancy for me, lol.
rachelearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

Me too - back to Atkins. I'd love to have some buddies on this journey. I'm re-reading my book to keep my motivation up. I just came across it after moving.
Crimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #8  

I'm 72 and wish I'd started Atkins years ago. I'm at 138 now and would like to lose 8 more pounds. My doc says I am his poster child for good health. All my numbers are great. I have COPD and severe asthma and that is the only meds I take. I go to the gym 5 days a week. I feel more like 45 than 72.

Timlin, are you doing the original Atkins? Later versions have about 10% carbs, 35-40% protein, and the remainder fat so 80% would be too much. Check it out at www.Atkins.com and click on the "Learning Atkins" tab.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/254/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Restarting Atkins after 8 months

I was doing Atkins last year for about 3 months. I was very carbohydrate restricted to only 5 grams, made sure I wasn't eating more than 1/2 my lean body tissue in protein but I could not get the scales to budge. I have hoshimoto so my thyroid is all jacked up, so I believe this was causing me the problem. I started on Armour thyroid several months ago and saw a dramatic improvement in my night time snacking habits. I began atkins again a week ago and now I am seeing great results. I lost 5 pounds first week and I know a lot of this is water but I got some keto sticks and they are turning dark pink early in the morning. Last year I couldn't turn them pink unless I had eaten some coconut oil. I did not binge or eat a lot of sweets over the past year so I am only starting 10 pounds heavier than my lowest last year. I am excited about having friends along my journey.
janie275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #10  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Isn't it amazing Janie... what medication can do to help your body act in a healthy way! and see the results.. your switch is turned on and you can lose weight again! HOORAY!

Glad you ALL have started eating this lifestyle... Just be sure to read the older Atkins books (older than 2002) as those are the books Dr. Atkins wrote and the newer ones allow for artificial sweetners and they stall alot of people's losses! Bars.. be careful!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 01-22-2014 at 07:30 AM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #11  

Is anyone counting calories? From the Atkins website I gather you are supposed to have some kind of portion control, where it used to be unlimited.
Easilyamused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easilyamused View Post
Is anyone counting calories? From the Atkins website I gather you are supposed to have some kind of portion control, where it used to be unlimited.
You would be best staying far away from that Atkins website and sticking strictly to the information Dr. Atkins himself wrote.
I've been doing Atkins almost 10 years. I've never counted calories (just carbs). As for portion control, as long as I've stayed within my carbs for the day, I've never really limited my portions.
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #13  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easilyamused View Post
I do use myfitnesspal to track my carbs and calories because I have an issue with portion control. The first 30 to 40 pounds came off only counting carbs then I needed to reign in my portions and looked to counting calories as an additional tool but my primary focus is Atkins. Counting calories helps me add foods beyond induction choices without getting me off track. I would eat all day long if I could - not proud of that but also not ashamed of it either - I just need strategies to help me focus on the goal. My first time on Atkins I never counted calories ever but I never was able to maintain.....it's a journey.....
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #14  

Thanks for the advice. I need to look for my book. Do you count carbs or net carbs? How many a day?

I too have a problem with portion control.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #15  

Actually reading the induction post above answered my carb/net carb question.