View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #130
maryea

I made this tonight and we really liked it. Dh went back for 2nd helpings and he doesn't often do that. I made a few changes... I didn't have carrots so left them out. I used frozen cauliflower and cut it up once it began to thaw. And since it's just the two of us plus I only had one cup of turkey, I cut the recipe in half except I used the full amount of chicken broth. I did this because often when I make soup I notice the broth is often not as much as expected and dh likes his food pretty moist.

diabetes.org/ sponsored by Equal® and Pure Via® Zero Calorie Sweetener
Prep time: 25 minutes
Serves 4; serving size: Generous 1 cup turkey and vegetables, 2 dumplings

Ingredients
2 tsp canola oil
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
3 medium celery stalks, coarsely diced
5 or 6 green onions, including tender tops, very coarsely chopped
2 1/2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 cup diced cauliflower florets
1 tsp dried marjoram leaves
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp black pepper, to taste
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 1/2 cups very coarsely diced roasted turkey (or chicken) white meat

DUMPLINGS
1 cup all-purpose white flour
1/4 tsp salt
Scant 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup nonfat milk combined with 1 tsp lemon juice

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a 12-in, deep-sided stove-top and oven-proof casserole (or a 12-in deep-sided skillet with an oven-proof handle), combine the oil, carrots, celery, and green onions over medium-high heat.
Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Stir in 2 cups broth, the cauliflower, marjoram, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; then adjust the heat so the mixture simmers for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Taste and add more salt, if desired.
In a small bowl or cup, combine the remaining 1/2 cup broth with the cornstarch, stirring until well blended. Stir the cornstarch-broth mixture and the turkey meat into the vegetable mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Heat until hot; remove from the burner.
Ready the dumpling mixture: In a small, deep bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in the oil, then stir in about 1/2 cup of the milk-lemon juice mixture. Add enough more of the milk-lemon juice mixture to yield a soft, moist dough; for tender dumplings stir only enough to mix together the ingredients.
Using large spoons, drop the dough into 8 equal-size dumpling mounds, spacing them evenly over the turkey mixture. Transfer to the oven. Bake, uncovered, in the upper third of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the dumplings are puffy and browned and a toothpick inserted in a center dumpling comes out clean.
Nutrition Information
Exchange/Choices
2 Vegetable
2 Starch
4 Lean Meat

Calories: 415
Calories from Fat: 99 g
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat:
Monounsaturated Fat:
Cholesterol: 79 mg
Sodium: 751 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 42 g
Dietary Fiber: 6 g
Sugars: 8 g
Protein: 36 g

Last edited by maryea : 12-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote