PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #1  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Default nov-dec 2013 support chat

I didnt see one started so I figured I would!!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #2  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

So hows everyones months going? Mines ok, im figuring out that while I DO need low carb to feel great, if I dont have SOME starch I feel icky too so im keeping potatos, sweet potatos and quinoa in my diet but im keeping them to about 20-30% of my diet.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/248/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm new here so I hope it isn't rude to jump in.

My month so far has been interesting. Aside from having PCOS with IR I've apparently now also jumped right into type II diabetes and Hugh cholesterol. Joy.

I've been put back on Metformin at 1500 mg, Atorvastatin 20 mg and Spirolactone 25 mg.

The up side, I've lost 8 lbs, the down side I now have to check my blood sugars and completely overhaul my diet. I like slow steady changed but I don't have that luxury now.
CysterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #4  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Welcome cyster! This section weans and waves with chatter; sometimes active sometimes not so much but im here!!
Sorry to hear about the jump from IR to diabetes :/
Congrats on the weight lost!! You can do this, you have it in you to change your diet and stick with it!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #5  

Hi another newbie here!

I started my diet on the 10th so this is my second week in. I'm feeling pretty good, I've hit some bumps in the road but I feel positive. I'm not how much if any weight I've lost. I'm looking at buying a set of scales. I hope I can keep my diet up during the festive season.
Kirkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #6  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Welcome kirkz!!

Holidays are definately a hard one. Do your best and if you fall off get back on the next day! A cheat day is only bad if it turns into a cheat week or cheat month!!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #7  
Tofu tolerator

S/C/G: 164/155/140

Height: 5'3.75

Hello ladies,
Decided to join up in hopes to connect with people who understand the struggles we all live with each day to control our weight and deal with the PCOS symptoms.
I've been struggling with my weight mainly starting six-seven years ago. I've always been decently active and athletic but always manage to be thirty to forty pounds overweight. At the peak of my sudden weight struggles my periods became very irregular which my Dr. helped with birth control pills. He believed the weight gain and irregular cycles were due to stress of college. After my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer I decided to stop the pill.
I started seeing a new doctor after relocating for my job to see if there would be a natural way to end the pill and manage my weight thinking it was related to stress. After some blood tests and advice on diet and exercise I was referenced to a great OBGYN when my weight wouldn't budge. She ran more blood tests and an US before clearing me off of the pill. As of nine months ago its official, I have PCOS :/. Dropping the pill and exercising and dieting I lost....five pounds in five months. More testing showed I was insulin resistant. So I went on Metformin which my body took to really well. In two months I lost ten more pounds without even trying, wasn't really exercising anymore due to hectic work schedule. Then month and a half ago seven pounds, then three more appeared out of nowhere on the scale. I even started running and walking the dog more in this time which makes me feel more defeated.
Started taking my metformin same time everyday to regulate my small dose. Dropped weekend beers with the friends and a bit more exercise added. Down two of those gained pounds. Now the holidays are coming.
I'll need lots of support this holiday season if I'm going to finally kick these eight more pounds I gained back.
The mantra....MORE VEGGIES, LESS CARBS, MORE GYM. WE CAN DO THIS
tofutolerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #8  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Yes we can tofu!!! Welcome!!!! (Btw..soy..I.e....tofu isnt good for pcos)
Ive been in your boat plus another ummm 90 lbs >. <. We can all do this together!!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #9  
Tofu tolerator

Dreamer,
Is it all soy products? My doctor told me soy in its purest forms are actually good for you but its the by products we need to avoid. No soy sauce and the ones that you find in the ingredient section of popular products. I know I need to keep my soy to a minimum anyways because edamame has strains of estrogen in it and if you're at risk of breast cancer you need to avoid it.

This is why I'm here, to learn what works and doesn't work because this is all new to me.
Good news is after a bad slump and being lazy about everything including my metformin when work got busy things have mellowed back out. I've been taking my small dose metformin same time everyday and increased my exercise. My reward was only being four days late for my cycle this month. This makes me so happy. Last month I was two weeks late. Also the cramps are half as severe and so are the hot flashes.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #10  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Edamame is the purest form of soy. All soy has excess phyto estrogens. Soy is a bit debateable in pcos and whether to eat it or not but for the most part people I meet have soy issues. Gluten/wheat, dairy and soy are big pcos triggers for many.

I know what you mean on the cycle...my body settled back into "fat" so now im 2 mos late not pg. When I lose more weight itll come back regular.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #11  
Tofu tolerator

Do you mean triggers as far as with weight issues or other symptoms?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 120/110/70kg

Height: 171cm

Really?? I am practically a vegetarian and have tofu/tempeh at least 4 times week. Eek. Apparently I am pre PCOS and pre IR (not sure if this is a thing or my bulk billing Dr just couldn't be stuffed discussing meds with me!). Got the usual "lose weight" comment from the Dr. . . Her awesome advice was "don't eat bread with dinner, and go for a walk every day". Phew, lucky it is that easy. I've just quit my job so will be dieting on a serious budget, which is difficult, because although fresh fruit and veg is seriously cheaper than anything else, things like cottage cheese; soy products and lean meats are expensive. The diet I will follow is "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" with a Low GI spin. I live off silken tofu shakes as I work out and feel like I need the extra protein. Will have to look into this soy thing. I'm on the mini pill (progesterone only pill): anyone know if this can make you put and keep weight on? I swear my weight is creeping off so slowly despite cutting back and increasing the gym. Blergh.
jessie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #13  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Yes edamame is soy straight from the plant. Everything else is processed from edamame. Soy nuts are dried edamame and soy milk, tofu, etc is processed edamame, thats why only edamame is green and everything else is brown/white.

Gluten/wheat, soy and dairy are all known to make weight harder to lose and also make it harder for hormones to even out which means symptons stay the same or get worse.

There is a Pre diabetes but no pre-IR..IR is prediabetes....its the step between diabetes and normal sugar levels. IR is common in people with PCOS. There is also no pre-PCOS, you either have the hormone imbalances or you don't. Its kind of annoying how many doctors "think" they know PCOS and how to treat it but they don't. I bet the doc suggested birth control and metformin too right?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #14  
Tofu tolerator

Pcos is so hard to get a handle on it, my doctors toyed with the idea for almost a year before saying I have it. And I'm fortunate because I see my doctor all the time to ask her questions. I work for the hospital that my doctor is at so my care is free and I stop in often. Otherwise I'd prob have gone another two yrs before being diagnosed. Was so tired of doctors taking the easy way out and blaming stress.
My doctor did put me on low dose metformin which actually worked great for me when I take it regularly like I'm suppose to
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #15  
Tofu tolerator

I need good healthy pcos friendly breakfasts. Any suggestions? I want to try starting my days on a good foot. I noticed with certain foods I'm dead tired by noon because of my blood sugar levels.