Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default good bye diet coke

I am giving up a 25 year love affair with diet coke. I have been drinking a minimum of one 20 oz bottle a day to a six pack daily.
I`m on day two and have a killer headache. I could have weaned myself off but after watching an episode of Dr. Oz where he talked about how bad it is I don't want it anymore. I`m so excited that this will help greatly with my weight loss.
I wonder how long do the withdrawls last?
Does anybody have experience with this they can share?
Diet coke was the only thing I drank so now I`m only drinking water.
Thanks Kelly
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

About nine years ago I gave up aspartame and caffeine for about a year. Doing so didn't have any miraculous or even noticeable health benefits and no weight loss.

I did a lot of reading to find out "how bad" artificial sweeteners really were, and I found out there were a lot of much worse environmemtal toxins that almost no one worries or even thinks about.

So I added diet sodas and artificial sweeteners back in, and started eliminating household cleansers, fabric softener sheets, most cosmetics and detergents, antibacterial washes and disinfectants, air fresheners, carpet powders and other strong fragrances....

THOSE changes did have a dramatic impact on my health. My asthma and autoimmune symptoms improved so much that my doctors declared me to possibly be in remission (with autoimmune disease, the tissue damage can slow to undetectable levels, so doctors are reluctant to declare a full remission).

Be wary of what you hear from Dr. Oz. He has warned people away from many safe products and has recommended or given positive reviews of harmful or questionable products.

If you want professional guidance, speak with a registered dietition or diabetes educator (even if you don't have diabetes, a diabetes educator has the most experience with the benefits and risks of artificial sweeteners).
Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Goodby diet Coke! If you feel like fizz, I drink club soda with lemon or lime and a hint of mint. All natural.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #4  

Kaplods I`m so happy that your in remission.
I still don't believe diet sodas are a good choice, due to
aspartame. I also don't believe Dr. Oz has recommended harrmful things to people and discouraged healthy lol. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

I agree with Kaplods, as I have mentioned on the forum before, when Dr Oz promoted on his show, the guy who says he contacts the dead for loved ones, that was it for me. He puts on his show what ever will get ratings.
I do believe the acid in soda is bad for our teeth and esophagus, so quitting sodas is not a bad thing.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 226/226/160

Height: 5'6

I have also quit diet coke. I drank at least a 8 pack a day. I also started the protein diet 2 days ago. I am just so excited to get this weight off. There is a article about diet coke. Amazing the false sickness people are getting from the sweetener. lupus,Ms and joint pain back pain many other things. Hay I have not been able to loose any weight in the past so I'm cutting back for all reasons. I have went from eight at least a day to one. next will be none. I'm not sure how to be in support group. I know I have to post so many times. I just feel I need the support of others that are going threw the same experience as me. I'm positive and feel great. I saw a friend that has been on this diet for 24 weeks and lost 100.8 pounds. She looks amazing. Anyone that can help me out would be a great help. Thanks Sandy
Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #7  

Gee whiz!!!!!!! I didn`t ask for anyones opinion of Dr.Oz or diet coke. I am going to give up diet coke and continue watching Dr.Oz. What I had hoped was for people to post and tell how they got through withdrawls how long they dealt with them, what they drink now? I got one thank you for that. Everyone is so damn opinionated. I'm sorry I asked
Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #8  

Thank you Sandy! If you happen to find a support group let me know. I don't want diet coke anymore but I'm only 2 days in so I don't how long this will last but I`m staying positive so far. After 25 years will be weird.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

No offense intended, we all express our opinions on here.
I would just suggest drinking something with caffeine to alleviate the headaches if they are bad, like tea or coffee. The headaches should stop in a few days.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

A year ago I would consume a 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke every day. When I eased up on my consumption, I noticed that my hands no longer shook. I don't know what ingredient would cause that.

Then I only drank DC as a treat. But within the past month I stopped drinking it all together. I haven't craved it and it tastes bad to me now.

I haven't noticed weight loss due to being DC free. But I feel better.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/125.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I quit diet coke in July 2012. I was drinking 6-8 cans a day. Now I drink mostly water (we collect rainwater, which tastes amazing!). on a very occasional basis (once or twice a week) I'll have mineral water, hot tea, Crystal lite, or low-fat sugar free flavored coffee. Drinking more hot tea now as cold as it is. It was very hard at first, I used Crystal Lite every other drink until I got used to the water, now I'd rather just have water.

I used to have awful Migraines, and my dr at the time said that the diet coke would help. OK, it did, but at what cost? It took about 2 weeks before I was ok without it, and then another 2 before I got to where I didn't use the Crystal Lite. I also dropped coffee at the same time.

It's great not being addicted anymore. I denied that I was when I was drinking it, but now KNOW that is what it was. I started drinking it in high school, so it was more than 30 years, since I went to my 30th reunion this summer.

You can do this! Good luck!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/125.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, and I disagree with the idea of drinking something else with caffeine in it. Yes, it will help, but i think it tends to drag the withdrawal out. My tea or coffee is caffeine-free. Just drink more water, you'll get though the headaches sooner than if you medicate with more caffeine.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #13  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfattimes3 View Post
I still don't believe diet sodas are a good choice, due to aspartame.
I think it's different for everyone. Years ago I started getting severe migraines, had sores in my mouth, and had some strange bladder issues. The migraines eventually got so bad that I'd spend a week at a time in bed with the lights off and the blinds closed, still attempting to block out everything with a pillow over my head. I could barely eat, I couldn't read or watch tv, I couldn't even listen to music, about all I could do was cry and pray for the pain to subside. I attributed it to stress over moving across the country, an old glasses prescription, and the extreme change in climate. When new glasses didn't improve anything, I hoped that time would.

I was feeling surprisingly well one day and was sitting up at the PC when my husband came home. He was happy to see I was doing better and had brought me a treat . . . a bottle of iced tea. I started on the bottle, and about halfway through it I doubled over in pain. The migraine came back with a vengeance! I looked at the ingredients and felt incredibly stupid upon my realization; it was sweetened with aspartame. When I'd moved across the country, I decided to cut out sugar and had switched to diet drinks and other products in hopes of getting healthier. When the migraines got severe and I could barely eat, I was drinking diet iced tea, diet soda, and was eating diet popsicles. And I'd also forgotten that years before, my father had bad reactions to aspartame, giving him sores in his mouth and bad headaches (I didn't think it was an issue for me since I'd never noticed a bad reaction in myself back then).

I do have friends that clearly have no issues with aspartame, so I don't run around preaching the evils of it. However, I do openly discuss how it affected me in case it may help someone else that may unknowingly have a bad reaction to it. Once again, I believe everyone can be affected differently by such products. For example, I also can't drink apple juice because it will trigger a super painful golf ball-sized Bartholin's Cyst; oddly enough, I can eat fresh apples just fine. The interesting part is that apple juice has always tasted "rotten" to me anyway (as if it's gone bad when it's still fresh), so it's like my body was already trying to warn me.

If you choose to avoid aspartame, avoid all diet drinks from a fountain unless you can read the ingredients; 99% of them have aspartame. Also be careful of non-diet products, like chewing gum and cereals, which often add aspartame to make them "healthier."

And if you do find you want an occasional soda for a treat, keep in mind there are aspartame-free options that you may find more agreeable, like:

Diet Shasta (sucralose-based)
Diet Hansen's (sucralose-based)
Diet Coke with Splenda (yellow label, sucralose-based)
Zevia (stevia-based)

And Arizona makes diet iced tea that's sucralose-based as well.

Take care and hang in there! I definitely went through withdrawals. Since your issues don't seem to be as severe as mine, I'm sure they won't last nearly as long (my migraines came and went for about three months and the sores and bladder issues eventually went away; it had apparently built up in my system over time). If I accidentally ingest some it these days doesn't seem to affect me, but it definitely did when my system was still apparently purging what had built up. Drink plenty of water and see how you're feeling in a week or so.

Last edited by Elladorine; 11-25-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #14  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

When I gave up soda the withdrawal lasted a few days.

I replaced the soda with plain and flavored waters, diet iced tea and lots of different hot teas. Now that the weather has turned cold I also like diet cocoa.

Congratulations on taking this big step! I hope your withdrawal discomfort ends soon, hang in there till then!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 228/*ticker*/150

I only drink 1 diet coke a day but man, I NEED it. I've wiped almost everything else so it's something I will kick a little ways down the road.

I have gone off it before & was extremely irritable and did need something else to replace the caffeine, but maybe that's just me. It took a few days to adjust but then it was smooth sailing.

I'm also less of an "all in" kind of girl & tend not to go cold turkey with things. I used to have 3-4 cans a day at one point and made sure I cut way down over the course of a few weeks. I don't respond well to complete deprivation.
Closed Thread