General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Car Input Needed

So I have a car problem that we can't solve...I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Background: After driving for a week in cold temps and then a massive snowstorm, my car battery died. We replaced it and the car started just fine. In fact my car drove FINE until I drove through the snowstorm and the battery died.

HOWEVER, the car runs just fine until you turn it off. THEN it starts just fine and immediately idles down and quits running. If you let it sit a bit and then start it, it will stay running. My BIL looked at it today and cleared a blockage in the air intake system. However the problem continues. I drove BIL home and it ran fine. As soon as I turned it off in the driveway and tried to start it, same problem - starts fine, immediately idles down and dies. If I keep my foot on the gas it runs fine. In fact DH drove it home yesterday by keeping one foot on the gas while braking in neutral to keep the car from dying at an intersection. The check engine light IS NOT ON and I'm hoping to figure out the problem without a $300+ mechanic bill. I'm sure it's a simple fix because the check engine light is not on.

Has anyone experienced this? It's a 2001 Ford Focus with 162,000 miles on it and driven gently.

Last edited by alaskanlaughter; 11-24-2013 at 10:53 PM.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It appears that it may be a problem that will require a mechanic, I'm not sure if this wikihow article helps any
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Car-That-Stalls
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I never experienced precisely that but it made me think of the time my own 2000 Focus would stutter and seem about to stop when idling. My timing belt had a few broken teeth and when the mechanic tried to replace it, he screwed it up and put it on a tooth off. Maybe yours is missing a few teeth? =/
Dollfaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

We had a somewhat similiar problem with a 2003 Mazda. We drive in incredibly low temps in the winter. We replaced the battery with a new one and went fine until it had to be turned on again. Then it wouldn't start. Turns out we needed a heavy duty battery for this climate. That one worked fine but maybe the first battery we bought was a dud. We have to plug our cars in in the winter if they are outside for any length of time.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

It could be a lot of things.

Fuel filter. Fuel pump. Random sensors. Loose belt. I thought about alternator, but symptoms not right.

Plugged radiator. Loose serpentine belt?

Is it an automatic or stick? They can have different issues depending on that. Hydraulic clutches in sticks can screw up.

If I had to guess, I'd say you have a bad fuel filter or fuel pump.

Just guessing.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

I think it's a fairly easy solution because the check engine light has never come on which means the car isn't reading anything as being wrong....I talked to a mechanic today who has never heard of this before and i'm going to take my car to him Tuesday night to have him look at it...I think it just needs someone more experienced than me, DH or BIL to really get into the air intake parts etc...i'm betting it's a air intake issue or an idle sensor problem BUT if it was an idle sensor the check engine light would be on
Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Well the mechanic is stumped as well.....He ran diagnostics all over my car both while it was running well and while it was idling down to die...and the diagnostics all look fine....No check engine light on either...So the mechanic tightened up a few loose things and cleaned the mass airflow sensor and I drove it home....Nothing is solved....Fun....BIL and my nephew who works on his own cars both think it's the throttle cable and will replace it on Friday....*sigh*