Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

Default How long is effective?

That was a terrible title, sorry.
I just started working out again, and am really really weak and out of shape.
I want to get stronger, but I also want to lose weight faster.
How long of a workout do I need to do on the elliptical for it to be beneficial/ help me see results?
Is there too short of a time on it?
Thanks in advance!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

for me personally, when I have been sweating and working out hard enough to sweat for about half an hour with cardio, that's when I start to see results if I am consistent about it....however for me, I HAVE TO HAVE a good diet because I can out-eat the best exercise routine....

I think whatever level of intensity that you are doing, if you are working out the hardest that you can for for half an hour or more, that would be effective for you
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

thanks for the reply, I am working my way to 30min, right now I can do 20 min + warm up and cool down, I plan on increasing it by 5 min a week, so hopefully this will work for me!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #4  

It really depends on your heart rate and intensity. If you go like crazy for 5 minutes then that'll do more then just going through the motions for 20. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor to get an idea of how intense your cardio sessions are.

Last edited by AppundanceTim; 11-19-2013 at 11:08 AM.
AppundanceTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I see my best results when I work out an hour a day, but I do both resistance training and cardio, not just cardio.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

20 minutes at a time is a great start, and your plan to add 5 mins/week is reasonable and safe. Nothing worse than overdoing and either injuring yourself or burning out! If you work up to 45 mins to an hour you should get great results. Weightlifting is a great help, too.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #7  
Just watch me ...

Do as much as you can without hating your workout. Every bit of exercise goes toward your good health. It has to be a natural process that you enjoy, otherwise you may not keep up with it. Do some work with weights, half push-ups, etc., and watch what you're eating. Take each day as it comes- the more you read and practice about a healthful lifestyle, the more you're likely to change up your habits.

The folks I know who have been successful have made changes that are meaningful to them that they want to do because it makes them feel better & from then on, it's all good
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote