Old 11-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/264/175

Height: 5'7

Default a fat girl working at a gym??

I lost my job just over a month ago. Despite constantly applying and networking, nothing has worked out yet and the bills are piling up. My boyfriend's dad is a physical therapist, and he owns a small chain of fitness centers in my area. They do PT, chiropractic services, wellness training, and operate a 24 hour gym facility. I finally agreed to put in an application, and bf's dad got me an interview right away. I'm incredibly grateful and definitely need the work, but... well... I'm fat. I definitely do not fit in to the image, and this job would require me to be surrounded by people getting their fitness on while i sit at a desk and continue to be plump. Am I wrong to be hesitant about this? I'm trying yo look at the positives... It's a job, and I would get a free membership, and since I'd be staff i'd be able to tell when its pretty empty.... But I just can't get past the fact that I am pretty much the opposite of who you would think you'd find in a gym for 8 hours a day. I am very worried about how this may affect me mentally. Are my concerns valid, or am I just being dumb about this?
blackinkstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

I can understand your concerns but just look at the opportunity. You won't be this way forever and just think how people that viewed you as the plump girl is now the Super fit girl. Yes you can do this. Who knows where this could lead?
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #3  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 294/195/165

Height: 5'4.5

When I see a plus size women working at a gym I appreciate it. Everyone needs to exercise no matter the size. And from my experience over time you get to witness the changes in them and they can be a big inspiration helping other plus size women feel more comfortable and work through some issues that may come up.

Congrats! I think it's great!!

Last edited by Diamondonalandmine; 11-18-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Diamondonalandmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #4  
Come on, skinny love

S/C/G: 290/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondonalandmine View Post
they can be a big inspiration helping other plus size women feel more comfortable
Quoted for truth!

Having an overweight person working at the gym could do a lot to decrease the intimidation factor
Veneficae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

How about loosing weight, getting fit, documenting your progress and using it for a commercial campaign in support of the gym?
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

Your concerns are valid, definitely! Though, I think changing your mindset on the matter would make this more of an awesome opportunity than something to be afraid of or worry about. I've been to plenty of gyms where the employees are overweight, and honestly, why should it matter? The gym is to get in shape and be healthy, so everyone should be there. Plus, like you said you can use the facility at no charge! I feel really uncomfortable when all I see are people who look like they spend 6 hours on a treadmill, and I feel more at home and like I can be myself when I see people on the same page as me.

Sounds like an awesome opportunity, take advantage of it and have confidence!
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #7  

Quote:
When I see a plus size women working at a gym I appreciate it.
Agreed! You'll be a welcomed sight to many. Do it!!
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #8  
Breathing.

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I think this is a great opportunity for you to 1) have a job obviously and 2) use the free gym membership! I have nevet met anyone who thought anything bad about "thr overweight girl who works here". Be confident! You're very pretty, you don't need to be worried.
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I would feel so much better if there was a plus sized person working at my gym!!! Don't feel hesitant!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #10  

I go on a lot of bodybuilding sites and most of the time, they are people who used to be very large and they find that happy medium of eating a lot (but healthy, usually with a cheat day) and working it off.

I don't think that anyone will have a negative attitude, since they were likely a much different shape pre-gym!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
When I see a plus size women working at a gym I appreciate it. Everyone needs to exercise no matter the size. And from my experience over time you get to witness the changes in them and they can be a big inspiration helping other plus size women feel more comfortable and work through some issues that may come up.

Congrats! I think it's great!!
I agree with this!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'4

I used to work out at our school gym before I graduated. Honestly, I don't remember thinking about any of the employees' physiques. The only time I interacted with them was to get a sweat towel before beginning my workout. I was more concerned with how other people were looking at me than with how they looked to me.

Another thing... I think this is a pretty common fear among overweight people with going to the gym for workouts. It's hard to be surrounded by people who all look fit, who are lifting more than you, running faster than you, etc. When I lost weight in 2011/2012 and was finally one of the "fit people," I never looked down on overweight people in the gym. The only thought I ever had was, "Great for them! I remember how hard that was, and it's awesome that they're able to get started and keep going."

In general, I think we all should keep in mind that other people are much more critical of themselves than of us. (Unless they're just really ugly, horrible people.) Just think about how you think of others. I personally never really think about how others look. I'm more concerned with myself. So I say take the job! You can't beat a free gym membership!
GrlRedBalloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I am one of those people intimidated by the gym. An overweight person at the front desk with a friendly smile would actually be rather welcoming to me. Go for it!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

As a fat and now relatively fit person, I can tell you than anytime I go to the gym, I look for a friendly smile from the staff. To be honest, other than the trainers always trying to sell training sessions, I don't remember the body types of the others.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

Much needed income? A free gym membership? Consistent inspiration to maintain your plan? Ummm... not seeing the downside. ;-)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote