View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
TooWicky
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/210/175

Height: 5'7"

I went for a basic checkup a couple of years ago. My bloodwork ended up being fine, but I broached the subject of my obesity with the doctor anyway. This was the very very early inklings I started to have on my own to maybe possibly consider probably trying to lose weight in some fashion; I thought I was being very brave to broach the subject. Anyway, I was expecting some in depth response, and what I got was a shrug, and, "It's really hard to make lifestyle changes. We'll keep an eye on your blood pressure, and if it goes up, don't worry, we have a pill for that." That was the sum total of my obesity lecture :rollseyes: I live in a town/part of the country where many people are obese.

The new Obesity Treatment guidelines are a rather huge document. I did start to skim through it. I'm simplifying for brevity, but it recommends doctors discuss BMI as well as take waist measurements at regular patient visits. FYI, women should be under a 35" waist. It also tells doctors to bring to the obese patient's attention all manner of help regarding weight loss, from support groups to over-the-phone help, etc. They specify that a possibility could be recommending a 1200-1400 calorie a day diet for women. Patients with a BMI over 40%, or patients with a BMI from 35-40% with at least one co-morbidity, who are unable to lose weight should be referred for a bariatric consult. These are pretty specific action recommendations for physicians. I have only read a small percentage of the publication so far. If anyone is interested, here is a link http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../oby.20660/pdf

WORKING OFF REGAIN

TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote