View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Kendah72
Living in the moment!

S/C/G: 252/242/150

Height: 5'3"

It is such a tough balance sometimes. I try to address weight with my patients at each visit, and use my own struggles to humanize it. However, I do not want to make the patient feel "attacked" and avoid seeking health care. I have had numerous patients say things like, "I kept putting off coming in because I did not want to hear it about my weight". I have done that myself, out of embarrassment with my weight.

I really try to make my patients feel like I am their advocate, and partner in becoming healthier, but there are always patients who are not ready for a change in lifestyle, and do not want to hear any discussion, even in a non-judgmental tone. I have many patients who say, "I try to avoid going to a doctor because they always find something I need to change", whether it be quit smoking, lose weight, increase activity, or decrease alcohol intake. It does not stop me from mentioning those things, but I know that until a patient is receptive and wanting to make a change, I may not get anywhere.

Kenda