Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #1  

Default question about "pain"

I'm 57, about 130 lbs, and been jogging/running/trotting for about a year and a half.

This month I kind of increased my modest mileage by sometimes jogging two or three days in a row, either 2 or 3 miles at a slow 12-13 min pace.

I developed a pain in my right hip or upper thigh when I walk, and I limp a bit when walking. But if I run, I don't limp and it doesn't seem to hurt. What's going on? Is this normal? Should I rest until the walking limp is gone, or ignore it and keep jogging?

Last time I ran was Monday, and Wed and Thurs were the days when people at work really noticed the limping. It was better by Friday, though.

Thanks for any advice...
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Two cents here - a) rest b) don't run 2 days in a row much less 3. c) stretch before and after exercise.
I hope you feel better
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcherella View Post
Two cents here - a) rest b) don't run 2 days in a row much less 3. c) stretch before and after exercise.
I hope you feel better
What she said , with the exception of stretching BEFORE exercise... warm up before your run but NEVER stretch a cold muscle... and if you're still a newbie at running definitely don't run 2-3 days in a row... ALWAYS stretch after a run...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say I'm sorry you are in pain
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
What she said , with the exception of stretching BEFORE exercise... warm up before your run but NEVER stretch a cold muscle... and if you're still a newbie at running definitely don't run 2-3 days in a row... ALWAYS stretch after a run...
Research shows stretching BEFORE exercise provides no benefit and can actually injure you! So agreed!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #6  

Thanks, y'all!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

I second the stretching, I got bursitis after I started running and my Ortho doc suggested I stretch super good after my run and then later on that evening...
I also second the posters who said to rest, if there is an injury you could be aggravating it by continuing to run on it.
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I am 52. I have hip pain when jogging. I was beginning to have trouble getting up off the floor, and having some recurrent pain in the front of the knees on stairs, too. Just a mess.

What it was was very week quadricep (VMO) and hip muscles. Once I started with my physical therapist on strengthening exercises, such as wall squats and a whole range of hip exercises with resistance bands, then I have seen some improvement. I am just introducing the treadmill into my routine. I cannot do much of it, or my hips ache. (But ache in a way similar to overuse as would occur on my physical therapy exercises)

So, I guess, based on my own experience and similar age, is I would work on separate knee and hip strengthening exercises for quite a well, and the reintroduce jogging in a limited capacity until your hips are much stronger.

I will tell you, that the rate of decline in hip/glute strength from 40 to 50 was staggering. And totally unnoticeable for the most part, until I got terribly weak.

Good luck!
Cheryl

Last edited by delmarva; 11-19-2013 at 06:58 PM.
delmarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #9  

Thanks!

I seem to be better in the morning, and worse by the end of the day. I'm a teacher, so I'm standing and walking almost all the time. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, though.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

You could also try a foam roller (especially if it's your hip, it may be stemming from your IT Band). You can find one online for like $15 and there are plenty of youtube videos that show you how to do the exercises properly. They hurt like **** when your muscles are tight (which mine seem to always be) but they're amazing.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #11  

Thanks. I never heard of IT band. At first I thought you were talking about something like a pilates band that you use for exercise! Then I googled IT band and that sounds like my problem might be that. I'll start doing some of the stretches and exercises. I'm signed up for a 5K fun run on Saturday, but if I'm still hurting I guess I'll just show up and claim my t-shirt and not run. boo
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #12  

Oh my goodness! I used my extra thick swim noodle as a roller last night. It really hurt! But I think that I'm already better after just a couple of days doing the IT band stretches and after that roller... well, I did wonder for a minute if the reason it feels better is because the intense pain of the rolling is over! LOL
Thanks again to all of you. I was just sitting around doing nothing waiting for healing, and taking hot baths thinking it was a sore muscle. Now I'm doing something helpful. Crossing my fingers that I can do the fun run on Saturday. It will be almost 4 weeks since my last jog.

Last edited by Tabbycat; 12-03-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Hahaha. Tabbycat, if it hurts that much (and believe me, I've been there) then you definitely need it. Especially if you're using a pool noodle and not a real foam roller (which is even more firm).

Try and find the spot where it hurts the post and sit there until it gets a little tingly. It could take a minute or so and you'll be cursing me when you do it but it really helps a lot. Good look on your 5k!
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Yes, I remember the early torture of using the foam roller! The good news is that it gets better! I foam roll for about 30 minutes every night.

I had horrible IT Band issues last year. I wore an IT Band Strap that I bought off of Amazon that allowed me to run completely pain free while I was rehabbing the band!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote