View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
thesame7lbs

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
The question I have is, are doctors really going to put that much effort into it? Or are they going to do the bare minimum? If insurance companies are getting involved, you can bet it's going to matter, so I hope they begin to show a real interest, get some real training, and get it right.

http://news.yahoo.com/doctors-told-s...200937050.html
I think the answer is, it depends on the doctor. When it comes down to it, doctors are people just like everyone else. Some are good at their jobs, some aren't. Some are good at parts of their jobs and not others -- they may be good at diagnosing but not have good people skills, or vice versa. Some love their jobs and put in 110% effort, and others dislike their jobs and do the least they can do to get through the day.

In the US, medical schools have not taught much at all about nutrition -- this may be changing, but it has been true historically. If an individual doc is interested in nutrition, she can take the time outside of her regular day to educate herself about it and bring her knowledge to her patients. If she's not interested, she won't. If she loves to exercise, she may share that with her patients and try to inspire them. If she herself is sedentary, she will probably not be as enthusiastic.

(I once had a doctor who always reeked of cigarette smoke. Freaked me out. Like going to an accountant whose checkbook is a mess, or a bankrupt investment advisor.)

I think a lot of doctors become jaded and cynical about their overweight patients and lose faith that they can and will lose weight, and that's part of why they don't talk constructively with their patients about weight loss. It's a shame, because they are not helping the ones who are ready, willing, and able.