Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 02:21 PM   #1  
Head Princess

Default Are you going to be successful?

Ok, here's yet another article! This is the 10 things that make successful low carbers successful over the long term. Check it out - is this you?

It's good to gear yourself for success from the beginning.

http://countcarbs.com/advice/LCG_longterm_secrets.htm

Happy reading!
Old 11-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #2  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Another great one, Star!!

Going to print this out.. and I need to remember to cook. =)
Old 11-12-2003, 03:54 PM   #3  
Head Princess

Here's my lesson learned for the day:

I went to the grocery store today to get something for lunch. I thought rotisserie chicken would be good. When I got there, I discovered they were an hour behind on them.

Ok, new game plan. I figured I'd get some of that pre-cooked chicken that you can use for salads and make a chicken ceasar wrap with one of my low-carb tortillas. Wrong. They were sold out.

I ended up getting a bunless bacon double cheeseburger at burger king. Grrrrrrr.

So my lesson for the day is PLAN AHEAD.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #4  
reaching my goals

That's a great article. I run into problems when I don't plan ahead also. I've gone to McDonald's before thinking I would get a grilled chicken salad. Twice they've been out of the grilled salad before noon. UGH!! I've learned not to rely on MCDs for my salad.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:41 PM   #5  
on my way down again

I loved the "Tis The Season, Eat, Not Cheat" article. I am really doomed, sorry to say this Christmas with dieting. I don't mean to sound like a failure and a quitter, but I have a huge problem with family members and us dieting. They get furious with us and pout and won't speak, pick and bicker to us and get all pushed out of shape the entire time if we won't eat everything. I always cave to keep the peace and have the cookies, breads, pies, salads, etc. Trust me, we have been told, "Oh we'll have cheeses and meats, so don't worry about it." They have known in advance we were bringing low carb crackers, only to take them to the kitchen and then be snubbed until we EAT IT ALL. We are seriously thinking of going and doing our own thing this year since it's so important we keep the weight off we have both worked so hard to lose. I feel alone with this happening and it keeps us from being successful. Heaven knows we have talked until we are blue in the face to both sides of the family-it is not heard-ever. And get this...these are the same people who tell us we are fat when we eat the food they have served throughout the 23 years that dh and I have been married. Sorry, I don't mean to sound whiney, but it's going to mean a big weight gain and then about a month to quit binging on crap foods. Does anyone else here have this problem? Barbie

Last edited by Barbie101; 11-13-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #6  
Head Princess

I've had that problem. Not so much with family but very much with friends. All I can say is that I now have the most wonderfully toned middle finger you've ever seen.

My attitude is that I'm not losing the weight for them, so I'm not going to put it on for them either. They can gripe, whine, grumble, complain, or even lay down and throw a full out tantrum. It's not my problem.

I know, it sounds rather harsh, but it doesn't take long for them to realize that I'm not budging and there's no point in discussing it. If they keep pushing, they don't get to be around me in food situations anymore.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:09 PM   #7  
reaching my goals

Barb, I've also been pressured to eat foods high in carbs in different situations. They'll say "oh a few bites of it won't hurt you. Go ahead." I just stand my ground and say that I'm losing weight for my health. I also tell them that eating the foods they're tempting me with is what got me into the situation of needing a diet in the first place.

If you think you will give in this year, you might want to eat before you go so that you're not really hungry. This way you will only be able to eat a few bites of the disallowed foods.

I plan to take a side dish like faux mashed potatoes made with steamed cauliflower. I also plan to take a low carb desert. This way I will have at least one side dish and dessert that I can eat. The friends I'm eating with are all very supportive of what I'm doing though, so I know they won't try to sabotage me.

Good luck with the holidays Barb! I'll try to send you some resistance power telepathically.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #8  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Super,

I plan to do the same thing... take a low carb side and dessert... and then just eat what I can.

Barb, tell them to grow up. I know I couldn't do that with my family either... but they are not in control of what you put in their mouth, YOU are. Go with Star's method...
Closed Thread