Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #1  

Default Questions...

I am considering the Ideal Protien Diet and I wanted to ask some questions.

I looked at the FAQs above but I found it confusing. Here is what I need to know.

1. Is the plan mostly prepackaged? I did see that the plan calls for like one ideal protein envelope. What exactly is that? I would prefer prepackaged.

2. Any clue on the approx cost? I don't want to over pay.

3. can I purchase the food anyplace to see how it tastes before starting?

4. is it typically medically supervised?

5. Anyone find that this diet worked substantially when others do not? I am trying to lose the last 20 lbs and it just won't budge.

Thanks!
Emma4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #2  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma4545 View Post

I looked at the FAQs above but I found it confusing. Here is what I need to know.

1. Is the plan mostly prepackaged? I did see that the plan calls for like one ideal protein envelope. What exactly is that? I would prefer prepackaged.

5. Anyone find that this diet worked substantially when others do not? I am trying to lose the last 20 lbs and it just won't budge.

Thanks!
1. Breakfast, lunch, and snack are prepackaged. Add veggies to lunch and eight oz protein plus veggies is your dinner.

2. Very pricey- average is about $12 per day ($4 per packet); there are alternatives, but that route requires a great deal of research.

3. I don't think so, but I would ask at your local clinic or maybe a friend that is on the plan?

4. Hubby's clinic is run by a doctor, and I think the clinics are supposed to be. You meet with a coach once a week, but the quality of coaches can vary.

5. It definitely works!
ReenHag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/157/155

Height: 5'9

1. I have a shake for breakfast, a packet along with 2 cups veg for lunch and then 8 oz protein plus 2 cups veg for dinner and then an IP snack for dessert.
2. I pay $88/week
3. No idea, you can ask at your local clinic. But trust me, it's not about taste. Most of the packets don't taste great (not horrible, but not great) but you get used to them and with only 20 pounds to lose, who cares if it tastes good? You just do it. The snacks are tasty so that's a plus anyway.
4. I see an RN
5. It totally works. I'm like you, started to just lose the last 20 lbs. Now I've lost close to 25 since Sept 15th.
Ferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #4  

Thanks for the responses. I do think this will work for me. The last plan I did worked well but, I got to this point where I just couldn't lose. The plan was high carb and I realized at the end I was making very high carb choices. Like 200gs per day. So I think this is going to be a massive shock to my body.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/239/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

Thanks!
1) The plan calls for 3 Ideal Protein packages for Phase 1 (1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch, and one for a snack)

2) I pay about $150 a week. That includes the doctors fee, the body scan and the food. Some weeks might be more due to getting the supplements.

3) I have not looked into alternative food

4) I see a doctor that is at my primary care doctor's office. He is also a microbiologist so he has helped me understand how the body works at a microscopic level.

5) before I started IP I was working out and watching what I eat. In 3 months I lost 20lbs and then didn't lose anything. I tried Herbalife, ViSelus, and other diets and they didn't work. IP has been working for me because I have someone there that believes in me and helped me figure out that there were underlying health issues that needed to be corrected in order to help with the weightloss
exesparz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #6  

Well, I was a little disappointed with my first visit. She hit me with the non-negotiable that I would need these particular vitamins. The thing is, they are massive pills and I can't take those. We are going to have another appointment later to see if what I have in on my own cabinet will be an ok substitute. I have a feeling that they won't be ... and I am debating if I should just sign up and buy them and then not take them... just to get the food. I only have 20 lbs to lose so if I lose say 7 lbs per month I could be done in like 4 months. (or less)... there is just NO Way I can take those Omega 3 pills

We will see.

The clinic as it were, is a chiropractor. So... not exactly medical.

The pricing seemed a bit much but I had trouble figuring out what the real cost was.

She said the food was about 85 each week. The vitamins were about $100 for the entire plan and her fee was about $150 for the entire plan, but when we tried to figure it out for the entire cost, she kept like seemingly getting confused... and saying other things. That worried me a bit. She probably should write it down.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Research the clinics in your area. I do not pay for weekly visits. My clinic does not require the purchase of the pills (in fact, they say if you find something that works better for you, try it).

I pay $28/box. That's all. So IP costs me about $84/week plus my produce. My clinic allows packets to be sold individually and I add it up to one box. That way I can have variety. My coach weighs me and measures me weekly.

There are other clinics in my town that are a lot more strict. I find that I don't need that, but my cousin does. We cook together a lot and it works because I remind her that she can relax and enjoy/have fun on IP and not be as uptight as her coach makes her feel! She sometimes feels that she needs a swift kick in the booty so her coach works for her.

Bottom line, different clinics work differently so find the one that makes you feel comfortable and you will find success!!

Last edited by ems70508; 11-11-2013 at 04:06 PM.
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

This sounds a lot like the place I go.

There is vast difference between the quality of the locations and the staff who operate them. My coach is basically just a food supplier. She doesn't have any medical knowledge despite working out of a chiropractors' office.

Are there any other locations in your area? If you haven't signed up yet, I would suggest shopping around to find a coach who is more knowledgeable and willing to work with you to fit your needs.

FYI - Whole Foods sells Omega-3s intended for kids that are half the size of the IP ones (half the potency too.)
Wahoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoofan View Post
This sounds a lot like the place I go. )
I notice your in Boston... me too... maybe you could PM me the place you go. There are other locations too. I will talk to them. I haven't signed up yet. I will give her credit that when I seemed to be doubting her she backed off and suggested that I think about it and come back.

The thing is... I do feel similar.. I want JUST a food supplier. I am an advanced dieter and have almost No need for coaching. I just figured i couldn't get out of the coaching.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #10  
Restart 4/1/19

S/C/G: 226.8/190.0/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma4545
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahoofan

This sounds a lot like the place I go. )

I notice your in Boston... me too... maybe you could PM me the place you go. There are other locations too. I will talk to them. I haven't signed up yet. I will give her credit that when I seemed to be doubting her she backed off and suggested that I think about it and come back.

The thing is... I do feel similar.. I want JUST a food supplier. I am an advanced dieter and have almost No need for coaching. I just figured i couldn't get out of the coaching.
I felt the same way about the coaching. I signed up and went for six weeks, till I really felt that I had the hang of it. In the meantime I found this site and researched alternative products. I was paying $28/box + $10 per weigh-in, which was ridiculous since it was just one of those bathroom scales that tells you your hydration levels. I'm convinced it didn't work because when I first went it said my hydration % was about 42, and I never drank water and always had headaches from that. After six weeks of steadily drinking a minimum of 3 Litres of water/day my hydration never went more than 46% and the coach just kept drilling me to drink more water (!?!?) So, I switched to alternatives, there was a greater selection, and a lot less money. I actually saw my weight loss increase during that time. The problem for me? I quit IP, instead of phasing off...so now I am back, but this time I just started on alternatives.

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
Bella73123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #11  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I started IP at a local chiropractic clinic. I paid for an initial consultation, which incuded a body scan, beginning measurements, weigh in, one week of food, and my initial supply of supplements. The fee ran slightly over $300. Each week I purchased 3 boxes of food; there is a variety of items depending on your tastes. Each box costs approximately $28 and has 7 days worth of packets. When I ran out of supplements it added quite a bit to my total on top of the food I needed to buy.

As others have mentioned, clinics vary in the amount of support, knowledge and "rules". I don't think any of the clinics charge for weekly weigh ins, because they make their money selling you their products. Many will not allow you to purchase supplements elsewhere. Some clinics will break up boxes so you can buy individual packets, for variety. Mine would not. They would not allow me to swap an unopened box either. My clinic also had a rule that if you cheated 3 times you were out. My coach was not supportive and they were always out of the products I liked.

After 8 weeks on IP and much research on this site I felt confident enough to switch to alternative products. The average cost for virtually the same products is $12 vs $28.You can find a wealth of information on the alternative threads. I purchase products online via Nashua Nutrition and dietdirect.com. I also buy from Target, Walmart, Sam's Club and Complete Nutrition. I purchase all my supplements from Swanson Vitamins online. The supplements are important, so I recommend you take them.

You can have muscle cramps, headaches, extrem exhaustion in the initial stages as your body withdraws from the carbs and sugar you are no longer supplying it. In addition, the calories are very low (800-900 per day)and it takes a bit to acclimate to that physically.

This diet is a protein sparing modified fast. You can research that term to learn a lot about why this works. I am amazed at how my body has changed and the great success I have had on IP. There is so much support on this site. I know this helped me stay OP (on plan). Check out the "What are you eating today Ipeeps" thread for ideas on the packets people eat, and when. Also for ideas on the 8 oz of protein. The recipe threads are invaluable. You can do a google search and include 3fatchicks.com in your search. That is so helpful. By learning a new way to cook items you love and swapping ingredients you will have great meals. Cauliflower and zucchini will be stapes!

Good luck to you!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
. The supplements are important, so I recommend you take them.
Well, I don't mean to imply I won't take the large majority of them. But I have a pretty complete multi, a magnesium supplement, a vitamin D supplement and some others. I personally am NOT a believer in calcium so i try to keep that on the low side, and would not like to take a calcium supplement. For the Omega three supplement... I never take that... and what I really have a problem with is the MASSIVE PILLS. If it means possibly choking to death I will go with a bit of a nutrient deficiency. And frankly since my protein source is likely to be fish / salmon, I am guessing that will do a lot to help.

But, we will see. Why does every diet plan have these massive pills... obviously that will turn people off.

I previously was on a pretty hard core similar plan.. HMR. So I am confident my body can handle the cut back in calories.

Typically low carb diets have worked wonders for me before. But the issue was that I could never say on them for long because it was so hard getting the food. (especially when you work and are out of the house for most of your meals).

But I worry about her as the coach. She seemed a little ... firm. Sometimes i like firm but sometime I get sick of it. She told one too many stories of dieters that were messing up ONE small thing and not losing. If the diet is so fragile that a few mints at lunch can derail you.. well it might not be for me. But I have a feeling she is a "blamer" and if you don't lose weight she will blame you.. didn't like that.

But the cost seems to be PER week and her place is so close to where I live, it is just down the street. Perhaps after 8 weeks or so I could go out on my own.

I really appreciate the feedback. I have a lot of hope.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #13  

Quote:
I previously was on a pretty hard core similar plan.. HMR. So I am confident my body can handle the cut back in calories.
I also did HMR for many years before finding Ideal Protein. I lost ~50lbs with HMR, but couldn't really face another shake/entree at some point. I took a break. Over the 6 years, I went back to HMR a couple of times, but ended up gaining about 25lbs back. I find Ideal Protein easier. I think it's easier to find things that work even while eating out. I think it's a pretty doable program. Some people need the coaching for accountability and some people don't. There are certainly a lot of people on this site who have had success with alternatives. I think it's worth a try!
siusaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by siusaidh View Post
I also did HMR for many years before finding Ideal Protein. I lost ~50lbs with HMR, but couldn't really face another shake/entree at some point. I took a break. Over the 6 years, I went back to HMR a couple of times, but ended up gaining about 25lbs back. I find Ideal Protein easier.
Wow thanks. I went back to HMR recently but I was NOT losing. And I realized that I was SICK of the food. I also lost 50 with HMR. Before I gain any back, I want to get the rest off. The last time I went to HMR... they weirdly insisted I eat even more food than when I lost the first time. Also, lots of it was carb heavy. The carb heavy foods were the only ones that I could stomach anymore.

So I think this could work for me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it will be a challenged and the food will be different. It isn't that the HMR food is bad, but after a few years.. you get sick of it.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #15  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

DH has a hard time taking pills. I have been able to order liquid forms of everything he needed at Swanson.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote