Old 11-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #1  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Default Measurements

I haven't taken measurements yet, no so much because I don't want to, or scared of what they will say..but just how do you properly take measurements? I understand I probably want to measure arms, thighs, legs, waist, chest..where on the body part do I measure..is my waist measuring around about the navel, or below?

I have begun to drop weight now and want to measure before I lose anymore to see where its coming from. I also know that sometimes you can lose inches and not lbs. It should be a win win all the way around if I keep track of measurements.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I keep meaning to do this too. I'm glad you started this thread maybe it will get me to actually do it!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn View Post
I haven't taken measurements yet, no so much because I don't want to, or scared of what they will say..but just how do you properly take measurements? I understand I probably want to measure arms, thighs, legs, waist, chest..where on the body part do I measure..is my waist measuring around about the navel, or below?

I have begun to drop weight now and want to measure before I lose anymore to see where its coming from. I also know that sometimes you can lose inches and not lbs. It should be a win win all the way around if I keep track of measurements.
youtube has great videos on this subject. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jgg7UP72Yo Watch this and others that just inspire you to keep going on your plan. Good for you to be working on this project!!!

Actually here is a very basic direction site too.........and I am NOT calling you a dummy!!! I happen to think you're very smart to be on top of all this. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...surements.html

Last edited by Timlin; 11-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/145

Height: 5'8

I LOVE taking my measurements. Sometimes if the scale isn't budging, the measurements show you are actually losing! Keeps me inspired! I measure my bust, my waist, my hips, my upper thigh, my upper arm, and my neck. I am unsure if that is where you are supposed to measure, but that is where I want the weight to fall off of so that is all I care about, lol!
KellyBean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #5  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Thanks Timlin, the reason I was asking was because I have taken measurements in the past but they always seemed wrong. I took measurements years ago for a dress, the dress I got ended up being 3 times to large using the measurements I took. I also didn't want to take measurements in the wrong place and get discouraged because nothing moved. I've used the "dummies" guides for lots of things and hadn't thought of checking there. I generally like their info because it just point blank answers what you are asking.

I need to measure the waist, and hips, but always get confused as to the exact place to measure. I mean you can't use clothes as a guide, such as chest measurements..a 36 inch bra doesn't fit the same in every brand, pants for men and women are measured different etc.

I know that measurements are important and can be encouraging. Thanks for all the info guys.

I measured, but the measurements still seem "off"

chest 40'
waist 36'
hips 41'
thigh 22'

when I use the clothing guides as estimates I should wear jeans that are several sizes larger around the waist than I really do wear, same as hips..but I've got numbers to at least go by and see if those ones change. Its a start.

Last edited by mainecyn; 11-09-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: measurements
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/145

Height: 5'8

Oh, I must have gotten confused! I was thinking you were wondering WHERE to take measurements, silly me! When measuring you bust, measure at the fullest part of the breast. For the waist, measure and the smallest part of the waist, and for your hips, the widest part. When measuring, don't pull the tape too tight, to the point where you can see any indentations in the tissue. You want it pretty loose, but not to where it slips right off of you!

I hope that helps, I used to work in a bridal salon and had to take measurements all the time. That is how I was taught and I was always accurate with ordering the correct size!
KellyBean88 is offline   Reply With Quote