Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 08:33 AM   #1  

Default Daily Chat - Thursday Nov. 13

I guess I will start..........................

Thank you all for your kind words yesterday. It is so nice to have a place where you can go and share and get support.
Hubbie is ok with the whole Christmas thing now......I am petrified!
What on earth did I get myself into?
It will be fine....it will be fine...it will be fine......
If I keep saying that will it come true?

Will check in more later. Have a wonderful day.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:36 AM   #2  
Pure Energy

Good morning luscious Ladies!! You all have been so good for me! I am soo excited!!!! Even el baby-o was busting at the seams with excitement this morning. Just got home from work. All done with midshift for another five weeks. Yahoooo! Need to take a few hours nap then do some errands then get ready to fly off to Los Angeles!! As cold as it is here I couldn't be more ready. You know, I totally wish we all lived near by each other and could go out for dinner once a week or something. I think we would have such a blast. It's nice to feel understood.

I love this WOE and everything it's done for me so much that every time I talk about it I feel like a stinking infomercial. No joke. Jeesh. I won't be here for my two week point so I'll give you my weigh in stats now.

Start weight- 201 on 11/1
Current weight 188 on 11/13 Whooo frickin Hooo!!!!!

I couldn't be more pleased. I owe much of it to you. ALL of you. If I don't talk to you this weekend then have a great one and I'll write when I get back. Wish me luck. It will be my first confrontation with this WOE in a non-controlled environment. I'm not too worried though because I know that I have ultimate control of what I put in my mouth.

Hugest hugs all around.
Jamie
Old 11-13-2003, 11:01 AM   #3  
Head Princess

One more day till the weekend! Thank goodness!

Jane - glad to hear things are better with DH. And terror is good! It keeps your heart rate up. That means it counts as cardio, right?

Jamie - Way to go!!! I'm so glad to see someone losing! It helps pull me away from the pity party I'm throwing for myself over here. Have a great time on your trip!

So, I'm still stalled. Blech, blech, blech!!!! I know it happens, and I know it's normal, and I still hate it beyond reason. I'm measuring myself and I'm not losing inches either, so I'm really, truly stalled. Maybe I should look into that fat fast?

Hmmmmmmmmm..... maybe I just need to invite some people over for dinner so the anxiety can get my heart rate up.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #4  
reaching my goals

I started the 1200 cal fat fast a few minutes ago. It's not nearly as restrictive as the 1000 cal plan. I tried to start it early this week but kept finding reasons to get off of it. Any way I'm gonna stick with it for a week. Its 4 - 300 cal meals per day. 2 scrambled eggs and 2 strips of bacon are my meal of choice.

A friend of mine just discovered that Ruby Tuesday's just started offering Atkins meals this past Tuesday. She said they are delicious. I checked out their menu at www.rubytuesday.com. I'm excited that a chain restaurant is now providing Atkins meals. They have dessert, appetizers, sides. salads, wraps, entrees, ets.

I also discovered that our super wal-mart now carries Atkins products like bbq sauce, ketchup, bread mix, cookie mix, brownie mix, breading, etc. They also have another brand of similar low carb products. I bought the bbq sauce but haven't tried it yet. Will try to hold off until after ff. I think the Atkins mixes were around 4.83 per package. I didn't check the bread section yet but a volunteer at the blood drive yesterday said that wal-mart now carries Atkins bread. I've inspired my friend (the one that discovered the RT menu) to start Atkins. She was impressed with my results. Anyway, once she's out of induction we are gonna start trying some of his mixes. We thought we could bake items then split the cost and goodies. That we we won't be as likely to over endulge.

I think I've stated before that the only way I'll be able to stick to this plan until my toes turn up is to find substitutions for the things I miss most. I found the milk product so I'm at least 33 percent there. YIPPEE!!!

I just really need to see the scale move in the direction of a loss.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Default Good substitutes

CarbSense has a good pizza crust mix. I get the garlic and herb variety. They say it makes 2 12" pizzas, but since it all comes in one package, I just make one larger pizza. It generally comes out to 8 slices for me and is 4.5 grams per slice (the sauce and cheese I use add another gram). Yummy!

Franz 7.7.60 bread is by far my favorite. It has 4 grams per slice and tastes like a cross between white and wheat bread. No sponginess and no funky aftertaste.

There was also an article in the NY Times a while back about a patent that was obtained for low carb french fries. Yippee! Can't wait for those.

Personally, I've found that I don't like most of the Atkins brand stuff. There are other companies that seem to do it better for less money.

Last edited by StarPrincess; 11-13-2003 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:27 PM   #6  
Each Bite of Sugar...

I looked into Atkins bake mix and was dismayed to find that the primary ingredient is soy flour. I can't eat too much soy or I get a horrible stomach ache, so I avoid soy most of the time.

My daughter is actually allergic to soy (one of her many food allergies) and soy is one of the top 8 allergens in the WORLD.

So, no Atkins bake mix, or baked goods, for me. Also the primary reason I can't eat most meal replacement bars in any form.

Oh well... I guess I'll just have to wait until I get closer to my goal and then incorporate "real" bread/grains back in.

C'est la vie...
Old 11-13-2003, 01:28 PM   #7  
on my way down again

Hi All. My life if boring and uneventful for the time being. I'm somewhat enjoying it, but know it won't last long. My dieting has been perfect since I've joined this nice group, and thank you all for the support and motivation. I feel I have a few more days of rest with my knee, and then it's on to the treadmill. I think if I tried it now, I'd get thrown through the wall! So everyone keep up the good work-it keeps me going. As soon as I find my before picture, I'll post in in that thread. It's a never-seen-before-by-anyone-picture. It's so awful, but it's good for me to see how far I've come. Have a great day, Barbie
Old 11-13-2003, 02:03 PM   #8  
reaching my goals

Thanks for the info SP. Maybe I'll take the Atkins BBQ sauce and try the other brand. I don't care for Atkins bars and shakes but love his snacks. Where do you find this bread?

I was having a TOM craving yesterday so stopped by wal-mart on teh way home from work. it took me a whole hour to compare carbs and prices for low carb candies by russell stover and hershey. In the end the sf reeses peanut butter cups won. I love pb not not the natural kind. The sugar free pb cups were as good as the regular ones and much better than the Atkins ones. I did stop at one serving of 5 pieces. I'm gonna hide them in the drawer behind my string cheese.

This WOE is finally getting easier thanks to the low carb items and substitutes.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #9  

I'm craving something sweet and something salty in the worst way! I don't think it is "that time" yet. Have to look at the calendar.
I decided instead of sneaking another snack size candy bar from the person in the cubicle across from me I would make up my Atkins shake. I mixed some SF chocolate syrup in it. Maybe this will help.

supersized: I don't use the powder shake mixes. They are disgusting. I buy the can ones. The vanilla is the only one that is tolerable. Like I said above I mix some flavored syrups in it to make the flavor of my choice. I would love to start buying those SF candies but the sugar alcohol contriversy freaks me out. I figure it isn't too often that I want something sweet so why bother. Now put a bag of Dorito's in front of me!

Barbie101: Don't push the knee....and please send pictures.

StorybookMama: I'm allergic to almost everything......EXCEPT FOOD, thank God

StarPrincess: I make my pizza out of the LaTortilla Factory tortilla's. It is a little flat but when in Rome! I take about 2 tbs or so of sauce (I found a really low one) and about a 1/4 to 1/2 of shredded cheese and then top it with whatever I am in the mood for. The crust doesn't really come out crispy but it is so good. The tortillas are only 3 grams. So I get to eat the whole thing for about 5-6 I'd say. Wish I had one now

supersized: Thanks for letting us know about Ruby Tuesdays. I meet some friends once in a while at an outlet mall we have near by and there is a Ruby Tuesdays there. I have never been a big fan but now that I can get something on the plan to eat there I will look forward to going there. Good luck on the 1200 calories! I would have such a hard time with that. I want to hear how you do.

Ok, I think that is everyone....I know that Jamlinrich is on her way to CA so she won't be with us for a while. Hope she has a safe trip.

I will keep checking in until I head home tonight. I am trying to think of something to go with chicken! OYE, my husband could eat chicken every day. I would cluck!
Old 11-13-2003, 02:44 PM   #10  
Head Princess

Supersized - I find the bread at the grocery store. It's just right there with the rest of the normal bread. I think Franz is a national brand so it should be alot easier to find. It's also much cheaper than other low carb bread that I've found. This stuff runs $1.50 - $3.00 a loaf as opposed to the $5 - $6 you normall have to pay.

Thanks for the Ruby Tuesday info! How exciting! My only question is how can a steak = 10 grams of carbs? What on earth are the doing to it?

Jane - Here's my latest favorite thing to do with chicken. Take some boneless breasts, coat them in a combo of parmesean, crushed pork rinds, and a little garlic powder. Put them in a pan and drizzle some melted butter over then top then back. While it's baking take 1/4 cup of marinara sauce (Newman's own is relatively low carb and very yummy) per piece of chicken and heat it up - "doctoring" it if you like. When the chicken is done, put it on a plate and top with the sauce and then some mozzerella. It's wonderful
Old 11-13-2003, 02:50 PM   #11  
reaching my goals

Jane, I had to delete the meal bars, shakes and snack bars as they were causing me to stall early on. I only tried the canned chocolate one. I tried other brands in chocolate as well. I had to add heavy cream to make any of them tolerable. I don't crave sweets too much but when I do I have to have something or I will go overboard on calories with something else. The key for me is making myself stick to one serving. If I'm at home I won't go back out for something so I try not to keep the sf snacks on hand. Sometimes I'll mix sour cream with sf waffle syrup for a sweet desert or heaving whipping cream with sf flavored coffee syrups. Ironically both of these are meals on the 1000 and 1200 calorie fat fast plans.

I normally keep my calories around 1200 anyway, so sticking to the 1200 ff plan isn't a problem really. Where do you get your low carb sauce? For a crunchy snack I like to dip the hot and spicy pork skins in sour cream. It makes me think I'm getting chips and dip. Boy the things we do. I can't wait to try the Ruby Tuesday menu items. My friend was there with a co-worker not on Atkins. They split a piece of cheesecake. Both thought it was yummy.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #12  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Jane,

Life at our house is interesting. Here is what my signature looks like (sort of) on my Parents of Food Allergic Kids list.

According to her allergy tests, my dd is allergic to bananas, corn (and corn by-products), dairy (anaphylactic), eggs (anaphylactic), soy (currently challenging) & wheat. I also suspect a possible sensivity or allergy to carrots, nuts, olives and green beans.... and a whole long list of things we are completely avoiding (see dh below) until she's older. She's currently 20 months old.

My dh is allergic to all seafood (anaphylactic), peanuts, eggs, pork and any kind of "cured" product like sausage, pepperoni, etc, latex, dust mites, and some food dyes and additives that we haven't pinned down yet. He's also allergic to wine (anaphylactic), strawberries, pineapple, milk (but not cheese), aspirin (anaphylactic), all painkillers so far except Demerol and Tylenol, and something in Oxyclean. Many of the above are anaphylactic allergies... though most of them result in massive hive outbreaks.

Whew! I think that's it. Anyhow, we have a very simple menu, use Rice oil for frying, and aren't really unhealthy in spite of it all.

I am blessedly food allergy free.... so I can fit what I eat into their menus and it makes Atkins easy!!
Old 11-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #13  

Starprincess: OMG I just tried that last week! I finally broke down and bought some pork rinds.......After eating the chicken I promptly tossed the pork rinds down the garbage disposal
I had so many ideas to use them for but I didn't like the taste after all. The other night I just coated a chicken breast in egg and pan fried it then topped it with some cheese and sauce. I will add some parmesan cheese next time. That sounds good.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:56 PM   #14  
reaching my goals

SP, do you use the fresh grated parmesan cheese or the one in the can. I'll have to try your recipe. It sounds delicious. Does the bread hold up pretty well in the fridge. I know it will mold if I don't refrigerate it. I probably would only allow myself to eat one slice every other day. They must me marinating the steak in something. I can't think of any dry spices that would add that kind of carbs. I'll ask the question when I go there...not sure when that will be though.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #15  

StorybookMama: If I was you I would be afraid to breathe! Lucky for you that you don't have that problem...but I feel bad for your little one. Your husband can take care of himself but she counts on you to know what she can and can't have.

supersize: The sauce I just bought is called "The Silver Pallet". They wrote a cookbook years ago. I was looking at the Rao's sauce (that Atkins recommends). It has something like 7 carbs and 2 fiber but the Silver Pallet one has only 6 carbs and I think also 2 fiber....for a 1/2 c. serving. That is the lowest of all sauces that I could find. The Rao's is $9.99 a jar The Silver Pallet was only 4.99 a jar so I figured that wasn't too bad.
Closed Thread