Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Default Back in the saddle. Horse Lovers Unite!

I like to create a thread for Horse people, horse lovers or just a horse nut like me.
I have always loved these majestic beings since I could walk and at 51 years old trying to get back in the saddle after a long Hiatus.
My uncle had horses when I was young and he said "It ran in our genes of being Registered Horse crazy" I never had a horse of my own then but took lessons, learned all about horses and if I was reading a book it usually was "The black stallion series of books"
I went to college, life happened, got married, kids and subsequently horses were a thing of the past. We bought a house in the country about 10 years ago and for my 20th wedding anniversary my husband surprised me with a beautiful paint filly. She is living with my daughter now, she was a joy but too much horse for me in the end and about a 18months ago my daughter bought me a horse she came across.
My daughter is a horse nut like me.
My horse classy is wonderful. She is kind and patient. She is 8 but has had tons of experience with trails, showing and you say Wonderful but.. I am still trying to get back in the saddle. I have lost 60lbs and counting and need to restart lessons and thought it would be nice to connect to other people trying to get back in the saddle.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

I love horses. I always have. I was the same as you as a child, LOVED the Saddleclub books and the Black Stallion.

I didn't get to grow up around them, but my husband did. I went riding often as a child, never had lessons, but at friend's houses a lot. And my favorite thing about vacationing in the Smokey's was the horseback rides. I often joke that the only thing I ever wanted that my parents didn't give me was my own horse. (I fully admit I was spoiled *** rotten) Now, I'm just too fat LOL.

But..... In 34 more lbs that is the first treat I am giving myself. My co-worker owns about 10 horses and we're planning on a trail ride this spring on the beach. I'm really excited!

And next year.... we're building a house on 3+ acres out in the boonies. My husband has already promised me a horse when it's completed There are a many shelters and ranches around here that took in unwanted horses when the economy went south so I'm thinking an older horse with experience to start out on. The same co-workers daughter teaches riding lessons and she's offered to help.

I really can't wait. I love animals in general and I ever win the lottery I'd open a giant rescue. But alas..... if wishes were horses LOL.....
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #3  

I am so excited for you! There is nothing like owning your own and having them at home.

My friend who boards horses rescues them from the slaughter auctions when she has the money. My horses we have two at our place, classy and cowboy are so pampered and always breaks my heart when she brings one home. My favorite story is about Gunner. Gunner is about 20 years old. He was all skin and bones. She paid 30.00 for him. The vet gave him a week to live due to the malnutrition. Bernie did not listen. Gunner is still with her 3 years later. We found out only through riding him how awesome he is, a two year old could ride him. I have actually gotten on gunner since he is so docile and not as tall as classy.My girl is over 16 hands and almost 1200 lbs. So she is a big girl, with big bones and I think soon I will be ready for her.

Last edited by cleancowgirl; 11-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I too am a horse lover! My reward when I hit 199 is to take riding lessons as I haven't ridden since i was a teenager. I spent much of my childhood with my grandparents and my grandmother is a horse fanatic. up until a year ago they always had at least 1 horse, when I was young they had 3 so I have pictures of me on the back of a horse before I could even walk!

I have always said that if I won the lottery (etc) I would buy a huge plot of land and set up a retirement community that allows horses because my grandfather held onto their property long after he could easily take care of it so he didn't have to separate my grandmother from her horse. It was only after Cochiese died of natural causes that he started looking into retirement communities.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I love horses and used to ride a lot when I was younger. But I weigh too much for a horse right now. When I can hoist myself in a saddle comfortably then I will start riding again I hope.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #6  

Mara we both have about the same amount to go! if we keep it up maybe we can be virtual riding buddies when we hit onderland lol
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #7  

Actually you don't weigh too much for a horse. Most lesson barns put a limit on 230-235 lbs. A horse can take about 30% of it's weight which is 1000lb for an average horse. You still need to take in account the tack. Western saddles are around 40-50 lbs where English are only 10-15 lbs.
My horse classy is a big girl like her mama but she is all muscle. She weighs currently at 1157 and 16.1 hands. She is bigger than my daughters gelding. I am currently at 209 lbs.
These are mine. I had a hard time posting pics so just posted my fb links.

Cowboy
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Classy pictured with my daughter

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

This is me with Classy last Feb before I started dieting.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

Last edited by cleancowgirl; 11-27-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #8  

All the barns I have contacted here in Dallas say their limit is 200. One said 220 but that is the highest limit I found
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #9  

That is surprising. When we went to the Caribbean to Aruba the limit was 230 and the barn where my girls took lessons say 235. I can understand where they are coming from but a lot of men are over 200 and they can be fit.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #10  

Yeah... there are a few barns that didn't have a posted limit on their website or forms that I may call after finals. I am just short on time and don't have a ton of extra cash so I haven't put too much effort into finding a barn that can accommodate me. I think part of it is embarrassment at having to ask yaknow?
Old 11-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 130/86/77

Height: 5'6''

I think horses are so beautiful and great! I never owned one and only had a few rides on them when I was a teenager, but I just think they're so adorbale!!!

I noticed that many dog-lovers like horses as well. I'm just another example for that
Gali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #12  

Gail- I think horses and dogs go together. Some horses can be just as affectionate as dogs. I think if you enjoyed it go for it. Sometimes just grooming a horse is all the stress therapy you need. My best conversations have been just me talking with my horse about my bad day. She just listens.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

This is a great thread. I love horses too, I had one for a few years and I miss him a lot. A member of my family is a horse breeder and it's great getting to know her. I spent time with her over the Thanksgiving holiday and I went to Blessing of the Hounds which involves a lot of horses and dogs, it was wonderful. I want to start riding again but it takes a lot of money, time and dedication.

I'm glad we have this group here, horses are wonderful.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #14  

I love your user name "Sea Biscuit" One of my favorite movies.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

Sounds good pixicat!

I think I could probably ride a horse at my weight, but I would be uncomfortable and worry about the horse. lol

Plus I need to work on my upper body strength so I can easily hoist myself up. Much better when you can mount and dismount with ease.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote