Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Default For those using alternative products

If you are using alternative products and not checking in at a clinic or anything, how do you make sure you are not losing too much muscle mass? I do a body composition analysis each week at my clinic, but I am switching to alternatives due to cost and will not have access to that anymore.

I know technically the program is designed so too much loss of muscle mass won't happen because of the types of proteins we are eating, but just wondering how/if other people monitor this who are doing the program apart from a clinic. I've heard lots of concerns raised about the risk of losing muscle mass from major organs and that makes me a little leery to strike out on my own without any supervision - just can't afford to keep going with it. Thoughts?
lighthouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Height: 5'5"

I can't speak for everyone using alternatives, but one of the reasons I left my clinic was because they never EVER did a body composition analysis. Even those that enroll in clinics who actually do this have stated that these figures are far from accurate.
I look at it this way - people have successfully dieted for years and year without gadgets. If you follow the plan as written (even with using alternative products) you should be fine.
Princess Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #3  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

I spoke to my company well nurse (a contractor with our insurance provider) who happens to be a former body building champ and nutrionist. She has studied the IP protocol and didn't seem to concerned that I would lose to much lean muscle mass.

I wouldn't worry about it.
nolasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/see ticker/150

I agree with Princess Peacock - I was on phentermine and my doctor only weighed me on the conventional scale, like i could do in my own home. When I read about scales which can measure lean muscle etc, I asked him about them and he had one in his office but never used it! Now I'm taking a phentermine alternative and still seeing him once a month as he wants to monitor me in case I want to go back on phentermine but for now I'm fine. I weigh myself the usual way and measure myself too, but I can feel I'm getting stronger and able to do more so I am certain I'm gaining and not losing muscle mass. Gadgets can tell us some stuff but I think internally we can feel ourselves getting healthier without having to rely on them all the time.
jennybutler357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #5  
IP start 8/15/13

S/C/G: 244/211/195

Height: 5'7

I've never had any special monitoring. I dont even remember her ever talking about muscle mass. Just weigh, measure 5 areas, buy packets and your done.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 169/158/140

Height: 5'5

I purchased an omron scale from Walmart. It's similar to the one they use at the clinic. It measures body weight, bmi, muscle mass and fat. I don't know how accurate it is but it gives me an idea of where I am.
Mybabymarshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #7  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

My coach used the body composition device at my initial consultation. At my second weigh in I asked if she would be using it again. She told me they only do so at the beginning and when I reached goal because it costs them money to use it? I have read that many coaches monitor body composition at each WI. This is another inconsistency with the IP coaching, among many, that caused me to go on my own. If it is an important part of the protocol; to monitor lean muscle, then why wouldn't each coach be trained to do so throughout the Phases?

Until starting IP I was not aware that protein sparing modified fasts are not new. IP does a great job at packaging and selling the products and some clinics are a wonderful support system. Many people need the weekly accountability a coach and formal WI provide. Otherwise, if you can follow the protocol on your own with alternative products you can rest assured you are protecting your lean muscle by taking in protein at each meal.

I have read that using the Bioimpedence devices is not always accurate and can be affected by dehydration, exercise, and other factors, such as the quality of the device being used. In addition, it measures everything that is not fat, so does not only measure lean muscle.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #8  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

I was charged $20 a month at the clinic for the Body Composition and he used it every weight in. (Well when the thing worked)
nolasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

Thanks all for your responses and reassurance. I also have to pay for the body analysis - $5 per week and it's mandatory to be on IP at that clinic. Yet another expense I'll be relieved of when switching to alternatives! With all the money I'll be saving I might actually be able to buy some new clothes when I reach goal!
lighthouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 253/247/175

Height: 5'11"

I did IP last year very successfully until I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Stupid thing! I get fat on chemo so I'm back at it again but using alternatives. My clinic only weighed me & took measurments but they were always different and even they said they weren't reliable. I drove an hour to the clinic and they 1/2 the time they were out of product. Now I'm doing a little Atkins, doing a little common sense and remembering the IP principles. So far so good!!! Taking notes on all your suggestions!
Kittensmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

If the alternatives are about equal to IP products you do not need to worry about it. Just be aware that being on such a low cal ketogenic diet you should not do strenuous exercise. In particular high intensity cardio can cause loss of muscle mass. This is due to the fact that your body canot run on ketone bodies alone during longer aerobic workouts where you are consistently over 65% of your maximal heart rate.

The body composition analysis your IP clinic offers is probably just bullocks. A means to draw the money out of your pocket. Don't worry about it. If you do this diet longer term, it would be advisable to talk to your doctor and do regular check-ups. Not for muscle mass, but to make sure your thyroid hormones are fine. That is one problem often associated with low carb diets.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

I dont want to lose muscel so i use light weights a bit each day, and if i exercise i add a packet.....I did that on my first shot at IP, and never had a problem. Just listen to your body, if you exercise give your body more protien so it doesnt go into starvation mode.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote