Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

Default Overweight Trainer

I feel bad for asking this but I am confused on what to do.

I started going to a gym (not too big). I want to get better at the free weights and was thinking about using the gym's trainer. They only have one and you are not allowed to bring in outside trainers. Well, the other day I saw the trainer working with someone else. I was shocked to see an overweight trainer (probably considered obese). Makes me wonder if the trainer is having issues with their own weight - are they really going to be able to help me.

Thoughts and opinions. Please don't blast me. I am honestly confused.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I would not worry about it at all. Where I work out, the best guy to tone your abs is disabled. The guy that teaches boxing is definitely obese. It's the knowledge that counts. And both of these guys could kick my fat ar$e!

Last edited by IanG; 06-25-2013 at 10:05 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been told that I give great weight loss advice, even though I have great difficulty in achieving my own weight goals. Sometimes we can share our gifts more easily with others than with ourselves; although in this case I'm not sure that is the case.

Are you seeking her expertise in dieting, or on weight training? When I met my husband, he was very fat, but few thin men or women could have kept up with him at the gym or anywhere else. He had a very physically demanding job and spent three hours at the gym, 3-5 days a week. He spent an hour walking, an hour lifting weights and using the resistance equipment, and 30 to 45 minutes swimming. I had to take a freakin' book so I had something to do when I was done with my workout.

At the time, hubby really wasn't interested in losing weight. As a woman ( and one who has been struggling with my weight since kindergarten) I didn't get it. The idea of working out at a hard pace for almost three hours and not caring about body weight made no sense to me, but I think hubby liked his big, bada** image (He's just over 6'2").

Last edited by kaplods; 06-26-2013 at 09:18 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #4  

I think it would be alright. I would give the trainer a chance before writing them off at least. Have you ever heard the saying, "Those who can't do, teach?"
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Heavier people can lift heavier weights. Powerlifters are not thin. Weight has zero bearing to amount of weight lifted or exercise knowledge.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #6  

Thanks for the replies. I will give her a try and see how it goes.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Heavier people can lift heavier weights. Powerlifters are not thin. Weight has zero bearing to amount of weight lifted or exercise knowledge.
Good point! This made me think of the female US Olympic lifting team. http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...ting-rock-star
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Exactly!

OP, judge the person on what they know and what your own goals are with them. Are you just straight up looking for exercise tips, or for diet tips too? It's something you need to consider.

Here's an article on powerlifting vs bodybuilding: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak50.htm

The owner of the gym I go to is overweight yet she teaches the best spin class around. Everyone goes out of their way to take her class and gyms in the area beg her to teach there.

Last edited by sontaikle; 06-27-2013 at 03:04 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #9  

Years ago I worked at a gym part time and liked it so much I went to the Y and got trained as an instructor in aerobics and as a weight trainer. I then put people on programs worked with them and they got good results. I did not list myself as a personal trainer just helped with the ones at the gym but it was something I really enjoyed and had good knowledge of. At that point I would have been considered obese.
I would give them a try and let their knowledge be the deciding factor not their weight. Good luck hope it all works out for you.
Bigmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Diet and training aren't as closely related as people think. A personal trainer is certified to know the human body and help you with workout programs, learn equipment, and so on. A lot of former professional athletes are obese, there is something to be said for someone with a lot of knowledge about training but who struggles in the kitchen.

I was training people at 9 months pregnant. My husband is a 240lbs powerlifter who can teach anyone to properly work out but my goodness he loves his butter popcorn at night. Likewise, I know plenty of trainers who give out terrible workout advice despite how they look.

Some people look great despite what they do, and not because of it.

I watch a young fit trainer daily teach terrible form at my gym and just shudder. She has credibility for being young and fit according to her clients but anyone with indepth training knowledge can see she is full of baloney I'm afraid.

Don't discount an overweight trainer.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

It's also worth noting that an overweight trainer may at least be somewhat sympathetic to being overweight. I know a lot of "always fit" people who have quite an attitude of "what's wrong with you" towards fat people. They don't know I've been overweight and it's horrible the sort of things I hear. No sympathy.

I was at a wedding last weekend and spoke with a significantly overweight gal who was doing her masters degree in kinesiology focusing on police fitness exams. Her knowledge was amazing, but she ate too much food. I certainly wouldn't discount her vast knowledge on the basis of too much wedding cake!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

This made me think of a phys ed teacher I used to work with. She went flat out teaching class after class of elem kids all day then taught classes at the gym she and her phys ed teacher owned. She was still quite a big girl.
Then I joined TOPS and met her mother who was morbidly obese and could not diet the weight off. I realized then what a lot of work it was for the daughter to remain in the overweight range.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/173/125

Height: 5"3

Default I felt the same way

Here in savannah ga, we have this fat guy that has this boot camp called cruvy girl fitness. You should see how those girls even up looking after he's done with them.
SatinDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
It's also worth noting that an overweight trainer may at least be somewhat sympathetic to being overweight. I know a lot of "always fit" people who have quite an attitude of "what's wrong with you" towards fat people. They don't know I've been overweight and it's horrible the sort of things I hear. No sympathy.

Makes me think of one of my PT's. He insulted me by suggesting I should hook up with someone who lived at home with his mother, and had special needs. The guy was older, and not someone I would have been attracted to regardless. But just the fact that my personal trainer made me feel like he was saying I couldn't do any better because I was extremely obese. The guy turned out to be a creep.

Remember, plus size doesn't always mean unhealthy and lacking knowledge. Hope your experience with the trainer was positive, and enlightening OP!
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #15  

Just an update, i went ahead and hired her. I am happy that i did. She is really working me hard and very concern about form.