Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

Question Exercise Vs Food

Im doing a Zumba work-out every night before I go to bed. I usually eat dinner, and then a few hours later I work-out, and then go to bed right after.

My question is; Is it bad for my body not eating after a work out?

What I do is, I eat, wait two hours, work-out. Sleep. Eat a orange (About 9-10 hours after the work-out). And then eat a salad 5-6 hours after that. Which means, I eat most food/calories before I work out.

Any thoughts?
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i'm assuming that you eat more during the day than just an orange and a salad right??

for me personally it depends on what kind of workout i do....i find that after running, i don't feel the need to eat so i don't...however after lifting heavy weights on the machines i do feel like i need to put something in my body and i make sure it's a protein choice

if this routine works for you, what you're doing now, i wouldn't change it but if you find yourself getting hungry and diving into the cookie jar, definitely plan to eat something sooner and healthier
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

It definitely works for me. But I am thinking more about my body. If its bad for it or not. I heard that eating protein after working out is something you should do.
But I dont feel like I need to eat anything. Especially since I go to bed right after.
And yes, I eat more than a orange and a salad. My point was that its a lot of hours between my work out, until I eat anything decent
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

If you want to eat some protein, you could always do something small. a cheese stick, hard boiled egg, some protein powder, handful of nuts.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

No, it's not necessary to eat after you work out, listen to your body. Why eat if you don't want to?

I'm always amazed at people who workout late at night. Exercise makes me wired, I'd be awake all night long if I did that.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

As I understand it, eating protein is necessary shortly after weight training. Zumba isn't weight training. It's totally cardio. No need to eat afterwards.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
Im doing a Zumba work-out every night before I go to bed. I usually eat dinner, and then a few hours later I work-out, and then go to bed right after.

My question is; Is it bad for my body not eating after a work out?

What I do is, I eat, wait two hours, work-out. Sleep. Eat a orange (About 9-10 hours after the work-out). And then eat a salad 5-6 hours after that. Which means, I eat most food/calories before I work out.

Any thoughts?
I don't think it matters. It's the 24 hour period of calories in/calories out when considering exercise. However, it is important to note that if you haven't eaten anything all day long and then try and exercise you're going to lose energy very quickly and will not be able to sustain the temp of your workout very well--as you will get tired easily.

Last edited by Kscott; 11-06-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
No, it's not necessary to eat after you work out, listen to your body. Why eat if you don't want to?

I'm always amazed at people who workout late at night. Exercise makes me wired, I'd be awake all night long if I did that.
Agreed--I am still so buzzed after a good work-out it takes me a few hours to even feel tired. I can't eat anything up to two hours before a work-out as I'll get nauseated and or side aches.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Nope. Fine.

I do eat a lot (of healthy stuff). But I exercise a lot too (run 6.2 miles a day and do 50 minutes weight training). But the timing don't matter much.

I generally do not eat before a run because that makes me feel sick if I do with all the bouncing around. I fart like crazy running as it is! But if you can eat and then do zumba, then no probs.

Last edited by IanG; 11-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #10  

Eating before workout is not a good habit. Rather you eat after workout and also put some time between eating before exercise. This impacts very positively on your health and body.
brendabogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/205/155

Height: 5'5

Ian...I just have to say that I crack up when I read some of your posts. You are very funny with some of your answers! Have a great day!
Psav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It doesn't really matter, just do what works for you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote