Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 149/134/120

Height: 5'5"

Default How to avoid a craving?

What are some things you do when you are trying to avoid eating something high calorie or a craving? Like when you eat your dinner, but you are still hungry after cleaning your plate? Or you know you are going to eat something because of your emotions? Or you walk past the girl enjoying an ice cream cone and feel the need to eat ice cream right then?

I will sometimes take a walk and usually when I get back home the craving is gone. Sometimes I will paint my nails -- who wants to mess up pretty nails after you take an hour to do them? Sometimes chewing a piece of gum after dinner prevents me from over eating on my calories.

If after doing the above I still want something I let myself have it and try to fit it in my calorie count. Heck, we still only live once

Anyone else have any tip or tricks to avoid cravings?
wheresmyraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #2  
Petite and tiny!

Height: Less than 5"0'

Lately I have been telling myself: "you are not 4 years old, you CAN say NO."

Simple and works!!! It is all about mindset.
ggbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/214/150

Height: 5'5

If I want it bad enough I go to the store and buy a small portion. If I want chips I buy the smaller bag. If I want oreos I buy the pack that brings 4 cookies at the corner store. That way I satisfy my craving but don't have any left to eat. I try not to deprive myself that way I can stick to it. But last night I ate some stuff I shouldn't have so I was hungry and was already over my calories so I drank a glass of water and went to bed. This morning I am super happy I made that decision. I would've felt guilty if I didn't! Happy calorie counting off to do my zumba!
NETZI81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I saw an episode of Dr. Oz a couple of weeks ago in which he said to take two bites of anything you crave followed by two large glasses of water and you'll trick your mind and stomach into believing you filled up on the craved food. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works, but he says it does.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #5  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Tea, water, walks. I allow myself to have certain kinds of treats (dark chocolate, fruit, high quality cheese) to counter binge cravings. I tell myself that I can wait till later and have something *really* special.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #6  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

i don't keep many high calorie snacks in my apartment, so if i REALLY want something, i'll have to leave and go get it (which most of the time, i'll be too lazy or it might be too late to go out).
i keep low cal puddings, flavored oatmeal, peanut butter, and some low cal frozen treats (pudding pops or fruit bars) around so feed the sweet tooth.
also, eating throughout the day (smaller meals and snacks) makes me feel less hungry, so i find myself having fewer cravings.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

[QUOTE=NETZI81;4856083]If I want it bad enough I go to the store and buy a small portion. If I want chips I buy the smaller bag. If I want oreos I buy the pack that brings 4 cookies at the corner store. That way I satisfy my craving but don't have any left to eat. I try not to deprive myself that way I can stick to it. QUOTE]

I agree. If I'm really craving it I'll have it, but in a smaller portion. I guess it depends what it is too. If it's a giant fast food burger and there's no way it's going to fit into my points then I just can't have it and I'll have to find something I can have or try to take my mind off it. Exercise works, but there were times in the past when nothing worked and I'd just end up eating that big fat fast food burger then bingeing afterward.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote