Old 10-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/157/155

Height: 5'9

Default A break to recharge?

I'm considering taking a break for a week just to recharge and then going back on IP. I've lost around 15 lbs and I've been on the program for a month. My weight loss has stalled even though I'm doing this 100%. I'm starting to wonder if going off for a week and then back on will kick start things both in terms of weight loss and in terms of my emotional health.

Thoughts?
Ferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #2  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

I think you'll be disappointed. It's important to phase off properly before entering phase 4. If you go straight from phase 1 to eating whatever you want you will scare your pancreas!! Really, you will. The weight will slip back on quickly! So to do this properly it's important to have 2 weeks of phase 3 (some people skip phase 2) and then 2 weeks at least on phase 4 before doing phase 1 again. That means a 4 week break from phase 1 total, more if you incorporate phase 2 as well.

Why do you think you need a break?? A month really isn't very long to be on the program.
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 276/231/155

Height: 5"4.5

Don't do it!! Not worth going through those first few days again (at least it wouldn't be for me...) and def not after a month...6 months or longer, MAYBE...even then, I doubt I would go off plan. You are only 15 pounds from your goal weight! Don't give up! It's coming off slow because you are already on the light side, especially for 5"9. I am waaaaay heavier than you and eben I went through a few weeks with no change on the scale while staying 100% op...talk about discouraging when you are eating 900 cals a day and morbidly obese and STILL not losing a pound!! I stuck with it though and sure enough, it's moving this week and I expect at least a 5lb loss at this weeks weight in.
You can do it...don't go off plan...please!!! You will gain weight so rapidly on a break and be back at square one wishing you hadn't done it!!!!
Beautsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #4  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

All I will say is that anyone that I've talked to that's done IP and gone off has told me it's so much harder to get back on the second time around. I'm not sure why, but that's just what everyone keeps telling me. I was considering phasing off for the holidays, but I think my loved ones that have done this diet have me convinced that I should stick it out because it will never be as easy the second time around. I know I have experienced this with other diets as well, but I'm not quite sure why that is.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #5  

Gah! I know what you're saying is true. And I don't think I'll go off, especially if it involves phasing out and then doing the dreaded 3 or 4 days to get back on. I guess I was dreaming when I thought this would be quick!! I'm so scared I'm only going to lose 1lb per week. That's what I was losing doing it on my own and it wasn't nearly as restrictive.

Thanks for the encouragement!!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #6  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I wouldn't do that. You've not been on IP for very long and wonder if it's difficult to get back on plan? Power through it!
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferk View Post
I'm considering taking a break for a week just to recharge and then going back on IP. I've lost around 15 lbs and I've been on the program for a month. My weight loss has stalled even though I'm doing this 100%. I'm starting to wonder if going off for a week and then back on will kick start things both in terms of weight loss and in terms of my emotional health.

Thoughts?
I am always surprised by the very unrealistic expectations people have. You lost 15 lbs in 1! month. A lot of this is the weight of glycogen and water. The rest is fat/tissue mass of which you need to cut 3500 calories for 1 lb of fat loss. Of course you will not continue to loose at the same speed. A short stall is also perfectly normal as your metabolism will slow down temporarily, a normal reaction by your body to starvation (ketosis is a starvation response). You are probably going to loose between 1-3 lbs per week and losses will fluctuate and diminish towards goal as your metabolic rate is lowered. IP is not a miracle diet that magically removes fat overnight. It allows you to impose a large caloric deficit with relatively little hunger, but there is still the equation of 3500 cal = 1lb fat.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #8  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Also, have you considered breaking up your routine to try to spur a weight drop. For me, if I feel like the scale isn't moving I'll add MORE calories to my diet - crazy I know. Maybe an egg or two or an extra unrestricted packet for a few days. The extra calories really do help my weight loss. But I realize everyone is different. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #9  

I guess my unrealistic expectations have stemmed from people saying they lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks and stuff like that. It has been tough this week not seeing the scale move- that's very motivational for me (like I'm sure it is for everyone).
In the past when I've dieted, if I take a break for a week and up my calories and then go back down, I lose more. I was thinking the same might be true for IP. But apparently not. I know part of it is that according to my BMI I'm considered "normal weight" so things slow down at this point. I'm just frustrated because although I've only been on IP for a month, I've been counting calories for 8 months prior. I'm just sick of thinking about it. It's baby weight. I'm over it!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #10  

Meeshellee, that's exactly what I was thinking!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #11  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

I am not a doctor or a fitness professional, but your starting weight was under 200 lbs, so your loss rate will probably be less than someone who was over 300 lbs. It's really hard not to compare your results to others. I know for me, I'm pleased with my weight loss, but I'm disappointed with the lack of inches I've lost. And I tend to compare my inches lost to others and that can be so frusterating, so I definitely have to force myself not to compare to others.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Everyone is different. For some, one meal off IP and they gain 5 pounds.

I was 100% IP for 5 weeks, only lost 12 pounds (I say only cause most people lose more). I have been on a "break" for almost 2 weeks, not pigging out, still trying to get back on IP, and eating lots of veggies. I have not gained a pound. Actually this weekend my weight dropped from the 221 it has been to 220.
I am thinking of switching diets, but really want to get back on 100% IP for another 4 weeks and see how it goes. I meet with my coach tomorrow.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #13  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Just wanting to join the bandwagon. I'm really struggling today too. I am meeting my coach in half an hour for todays weigh in and am thinking of calling it quits. I've only been back on for 2 weeks and I am so sick of it, it's making me uber cranky today. And I'm STARVING.

Last edited by slow2lose; 10-22-2013 at 11:31 AM.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
Just wanting to join the bandwagon. I'm really struggling today too. I am meeting my coach in half an hour for todays weigh in and am thinking of calling it quits. I've only been back on for 2 weeks and I am so sick of it, it's making me uber cranky today. And I'm STARVING.
I'm not wanting to get bashed by the IP mob, but I am planning on switching to Atkins. I lost before, didnt feel tired or cranky or brainless but I know I will lose slower. My wallet will be happier though.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
slow to lose, can I ask you why you want to lose more weight?
you are super tiny right now, why not phase off, workout and try and tighten things up. I'm sure you already look amazing at 115 lbs, perhaps you should just learn to love and accept yourself becauuse at 115 you're hardly overweight.

Sorry if I'm talking out of line, I only mean well
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote