Old 10-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Post First day on Ideal Protein...

Ever since I quit Weight Watchers, I have been struggling to find some kind of weight loss program that would work for me, but have come up empty-handed. Lately, I have just been eating whatever I wanted (besides bread, pasta and rice), mostly sweets and dairy, which are my downfall, especially chocolate and ice cream. It wasn't until about a month ago when I saw my cousin at my aunt's house for Labor Day, and after having 3 kids, she looked amazing! It was then that she gave me info on Ideal Protein, and I was reluctant to try it, but I did research and found out how expensive it was to do, that it kind of turned me off. It took me a while for me to come around, after going back and forth with it. After going to a center that offered the program, and finding out how much it would be, I almost gave up. I texted my cousin, and she agreed that if I stuck with it, she would be my coach and help me thru this. I found most of what I needed for the program online. So, today is my first day, and so far, it's going ok. However I'm starving! I'm on Phase 1 right now, and my biggest fear is that I will become so hungry that I will want to eat whatever I get my hands on.

Has anyone experienced that problem? How long did it take for that feeling to go away?
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/174/147

Height: 5 ft 5 in

You can do this. I was on this det in 2010 and lost 30 pounds. I have gained 10 pounds back over the years so I am here again to lose the 10 pounds. I have never really thought of it as a diet but a change in how I eat. The first 4 days are not easy but starting with day 5 you will feel so much better. When you are not eating junk food ad processed food you will have so much energy and the cravings for the most part goes away. Make sure you drink all of your water. Good luck
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #3  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi Scottysgirl - I too struggled with the WW plan and all the while I was on it, I didn't follow to a T. I felt that it didn't offer any boundaries and I was going hog wild on desserts, wine, carb ridden foods, etc.. I just felt so out of control and I needed to reel that all in.

I had toyed with IP for about 2 months prior to making the commitment and signing up. I saw success of a few colleagues that I see wkly and I wanted to feel a similar success so, I finally decided to join on Aug-18-2013 and NEVER looked back. It's pricey but it's worth it and it will teach you life long habits. Go for it!
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #4  

Talking

@coffeebean: Thank you so much for your advice!

I've been reading other threads on here, and they said the same thing: that it gets better after day 4. And drinking plenty of water is no problem with me. I have a water bottle that holds 32oz., and I surpass 2 of those per day. As we speak, I'm already on my 3rd one of those!

I understand how important it is to not cheat on this, but it does have its challenging moments, mostly because with my full time job, I work with one other woman and a bunch of hungry guys who are always after burgers, pizza, Chinese, Taco Bell, you name it. And the worst thing about that is, where my computer screen is, that's where there is a window out to the garage is... and the counter where they put all their food... so I can see it every day I'm here. That may be bad, but smelling it all would make things worse.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #5  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareVT View Post
Hi Scottysgirl - I too struggled with the WW plan and all the while I was on it, I didn't follow to a T. I felt that it didn't offer any boundaries and I was going hog wild on desserts, wine, carb ridden foods, etc.. I just felt so out of control and I needed to reel that all in.

I had toyed with IP for about 2 months prior to making the commitment and signing up. I saw success of a few colleagues that I see wkly and I wanted to feel a similar success so, I finally decided to join on Aug-18-2013 and NEVER looked back. It's pricey but it's worth it and it will teach you life long habits. Go for it!
Yeah, I've made the decision to NEVER go back to Weight Watchers. I lost 31 lbs. in 2010, but gained at least most of it back for the same reasons. Once they changed the program, I couldn't get the weight back off. I hated the program and lost all motivation. Now, after seeing what my cousin went thru with IP, I so want to have the same thing happen to me. And, above all, it's so awesome that I found this forum years ago. I can bring all my challenges and successes up front, and know that there are other people out there that have either been thru or is going thru the same things I have.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #6  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottysgirl7682 View Post

I understand how important it is to not cheat on this, but it does have its challenging moments, mostly because with my full time job, I work with one other woman and a bunch of hungry guys who are always after burgers, pizza, Chinese, Taco Bell, you name it. And the worst thing about that is, where my computer screen is, that's where there is a window out to the garage is... and the counter where they put all their food... so I can see it every day I'm here. That may be bad, but smelling it all would make things worse.
Get a curtain for that window, girl! You can do it!!
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #7  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

You know it @Scottysgirl - I'm so glad to hear that you have someone close to you (best of all a family member) to help coach you along the way. The forum is such a great found treasure as well, as you already know.

So you are on Day 4 - that's terrific! Try your best to stick with the program at least 2 weeks before you make up your mind. Muscle through the aches and pains of the first week. I drank more than the specified amount of water in hopes of avoiding headaches and dizzy spells and for the most part that did the trick. My first weekend OP I was extra tired and allowed myself to just veg out. And then all of a sudden, all of this natural energy comes out of nowhere.. Well, comes from inside you since you've depleted your body of all the excess sugar. You will see. Try to be patient and also, try not to think about it every moment of the day.

It's important to arm yourself with all of the proper foods outside of the IP friendly stuff, do you have enough vegetables? Do you have a nice olive oil and plenty of lemon on hand? What proteins will you make for the next few days? Do you have a scale to weigh your protein? Pre-cut your veggies for easy/quick access, it's so helpful. I try to do that every couple of days so that I replenish my stash. That way I can just grab and go, so to speak.

Spices (minus hidden sugar), garlic, new veggies and then some become your new best friend. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #8  

Seriously, if I could I would! But, that window is a sliding one, so if the guys need something, that's the easiest way to get it...
Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #9  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Seriously, if I could I would! But, that window is a sliding one, so if the guys need something, that's the easiest way to get it...
Rearrange your desk so your back is to the window, then. If you know it's going to be a problem, find a solution. You can do it!!!
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #10  
joined IP 10/28/13

S/C/G: 163.4/140.2/130 11th WI

Height: 5'3"

Hi Scotty Girl,

I'm just finishing day one. On my way to bed and not even slightly hungry. I had the hungry horrors at 4pm at work but guzzled some water and got through it. Made a nice piece of Salmon with 2 cups of roasted Cauliflower for dinner - very filling. Topped with the Chocolate pudding for dessert. Edible at best but did the trick for my sweet tooth. One day down and about 3 months to go. Hope I can stick it out. I'd like to lose 30lbs. Have lost it before on WW but I just cannot get excited about all that counting of points. My sister is my inspiration for IP. She started in April and is down 32. She hasn't looked this good in years and feels even better. Also have two girlfriends who've lost 20+ each on IP. All have said it was pretty easy and doesn't require much thinking. I'm not a big salad eater and I'm a lazy cook so wasn't sure I could do it but I'm going to give it a whirl. Cost also concerned me but I'm worth it. I'll limit my eating out and that should offset much of it (Lazy cook remember). So- best of luck to you and hopefully we'll be down at least half of it by Christmas. That's my first goal.
Harleygirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #11  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Days 2 and 3 were the worst for me ... I got a bad headache and felt very lethargic ... Basically carb and sugar withdrawl.

Just think of yourself as a drug addict that is detoxing from bad food.

Once you get to day 4 or 5 ... Smooth sailing ... you feel great and you lose all your cravings for carbs and sugar (at least that is what happened for me)

Whatever you do, dont cheat ... since that will cause you to go through that same awful carb and sugar withdrawl for another 4 days (why torture yourself that way).
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 642 (IPstart 395.4)/226.2/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Ever since I quit Weight Watchers, I have been struggling to find some kind of weight loss program that would work for me, but have come up empty-handed. Lately, I have just been eating whatever I wanted (besides bread, pasta and rice), mostly sweets and dairy, which are my downfall, especially chocolate and ice cream. It wasn't until about a month ago when I saw my cousin at my aunt's house for Labor Day, and after having 3 kids, she looked amazing! It was then that she gave me info on Ideal Protein, and I was reluctant to try it, but I did research and found out how expensive it was to do, that it kind of turned me off. It took me a while for me to come around, after going back and forth with it. After going to a center that offered the program, and finding out how much it would be, I almost gave up. I texted my cousin, and she agreed that if I stuck with it, she would be my coach and help me thru this. I found most of what I needed for the program online. So, today is my first day, and so far, it's going ok. However I'm starving! I'm on Phase 1 right now, and my biggest fear is that I will become so hungry that I will want to eat whatever I get my hands on.

Has anyone experienced that problem? How long did it take for that feeling to go away?
Dear scottysgirl7682,

Welcome to the forums first of all! You CAN do this!!! The first few days are the absolute pits, no sugar coating it. There's another thread here called October 2013 Newbies, and we're all there supporting each other. Feel free to come on over there and introduce yourself if you already haven't. Your body is physically and mentally going through a huge change the first couple days and your brain takes quite a bit longer to "get" those changes than your body does. Once it does finally "get it", you'll feel lots more energy just sort of come over you. It's kind of an amazing feeling!

I'm in CT too! Feel free to add me to your buddy list, and if you ever need a chat buddy, if I'm available, I'd be happy to create a support network.. I'm working on building my group of "accountabilibuddies" where we might slip up if we're not feeling 100% at that moment. I'm lucky that my husband and my MIL are doing this with me, and my aunt and uncle have already successfully gotten to goal (1 losing 100+lbs, one losing 80+) and they are now maintaining beautifully. You got this!!! The hardest part is making the commitment to stick with it. for that!
Kawaii1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #13  

Well, I finished my first week, and was down 7!

However, I got on the scale this morning, just to see if I went down more, and there was no change made me very discouraged. Now I'm beginning to wonder if there's something I'm not doing right. I haven't cheated at all since I started this... maybe it's because TOM came this morning after I weighed myself? I don't know...
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #14  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Well, I finished my first week, and was down 7!

However, I got on the scale this morning, just to see if I went down more, and there was no change made me very discouraged. Now I'm beginning to wonder if there's something I'm not doing right. I haven't cheated at all since I started this... maybe it's because TOM came this morning after I weighed myself? I don't know...
Hi scottysgirl and congrats on the loss!

You won't lose everyday by the scale's measure - sometimes you'll be up a little, sometimes down, sometimes the same. Especially with TOM you may see a slower loss, but don't worry - it will go away. A high sodium day can make you retain water. There's a million reasons why your scale doesn't move on any given day and not all of them you can control.

That said, if the scale is going to make you discouraged or crazy you might want to consider not weighing everyday for awhile. The scale is just one measure of how you are doing - inches, how you feel, etc. are just as important.

Just stay OP, relax and the pounds will come off - honest!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #15  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

7 pounds is fantastic.

Try to stay off the scale until the end of week 2. I too, want to weigh myself when I get up every morning but, I think it's best to do it once a week. I started on the 15th and I'm tempted at work all day long. I work in a high school cafeteria. I used to nibble all day. It is getting much easier everyday to just look the other way. I want to lose weight so I feel better about myself. Cheating will only give me temporary pleasure.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote