Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #1  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Default Fighting off thoughts of cheating ... and identifying triggers

Just curious what others do to fight off cheating thoughts?

After nearly 3 months of being 100% IP with no cheating ... For the past couple of days, and especially yesterday, I have had really strong thoughts of cheating.

It's interesting how that was brought on for me. The catalyst for me was making the mistake of looking at the 90% thread a few days ago with posts about pizza and chocolate. It's funny how things people post just sort of work into your subconscious and manifest themselves into cravings (at least for me).

I then emailed my coach late yesterday and she helped to "talk me down".

The other smart thing I did was I went to bed (at 7PM !!!) right after my last meal of the day, an IP Chocolate Drink. If you're sleeping, you can't get into trouble. When I woke up this morning, the cravings were gone.

The benefit of not succumbing to my cheating thoughts? This morning I was down 1.5 lbs, one of my biggest overnight losses of the year!

If I had ordered that pizza, I bet this morning I would have been up 3 pounds just from the salt (a potential 5 pound swing) plus I would then have to go through those awful 4 days of carb withdrawl.

One thing I have learned (for me personally) is stay the heck away from the 90% thread (at least for me). Maybe others can handle it, but I can't. I am just not that strong.

And when things seem bad, go to bed.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #2  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
Just curious what others do to fight off cheating thoughts?

For the past couple of days, and especially yesterday, I have had really strong thoughts of cheating.

It's interesting how that was brought on for me. The catalyst for me was making the huge mistake of looking at the 90% thread a few days ago with posts about pizza and chocolate. It's funny how things people post just sort of work into your subconscious and manifest themselves into cravings.

I then emailed my coach late yesterday and she helped to "talk me down".

The other smart thing I did was I went to bed right after my last meal of the day, an IP Chocolate Drink. If you're sleeping, you cant get into trouble. when I woke up this morning, the cravings were gone.

The benefit of not succumbing to my cheating thoughts ? This morning I was down 1.5 lbs, one of my biggest overnight losses of the year.

If I had ordered that pizza, I bet this morning I would have been up 3 pounds just from the salt (a potential 5 pound swing) plus I would then have to go through those awful 4 days of carb withdrawl.

One thing I have learned (for me personally) is stay the heck away from the 90% thread (at least for me). Maybe others can handle it, but I can't.

And when things seem bad, go to bed.
Avalon - yeah for you for staying strong! When temptation rears its head I always try to stop, take a deep breath and think "yes, that would taste good but will that momentary pleasure be worth undoing all my hard work to date?" So far, the answer has been no, it's not worth it.

It really is a learning process. Trying to change the way you think about food long term takes time. We can't undo a lifetime of going for the instant gratification, emotional eating, etc. in just a few weeks - it takes a lot of practice. P1 not only gets the weight off, it gives us a chance to change our relationship with food.

I've heard it repeated over and over - who's in control, you or the food? You are, of course! Good for you for identifying your triggers and ways to deal with them. Going to bed is good, reading a book, cleaning something, trying on smaller clothes, etc. all work.

You've had such great success and you have such a great attitude, stay strong!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #3  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

Avalon, kudos to you! And I just want to say what a positive influence you are to the IP forum, I get such a boost from reading your posts. And thanks for sharing what triggered cravings for you, someone else will no doubt find that very helpful and motivating.

Keep it up girl!!!
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Height: 5'5"

Avalon, I am anticipating lots of triggers as the holidays approach. You know how it can be, sights and smells of all things sweet, spicy and yummy. My plan (though this may change) is to have a few "hands on" crafty type projects. Like - knitting or finishing up a cross stitch Christmas stocking. I find that sometimes this helps. Reading helps sometimes, but not always.
Or if the weather is nice, take a walk to clear your head.
Princess Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Well...this wasn't posted on the 90% so it's fair game...The topic is fighting off the cheating thoughts...and staying of 90% is in my way of thinking, a fair comment and good good tactic!

Not for everyone...some want and are OK with the 90% mentality. However; I too stay away from that thread because since I'm so close to being phased off...I want to maintain what I've been indoctrinating myself with and don't need the validation of sometimes is OK. By hearing who else struggled and/or succumbed, I could cave. You never know what a post will contain, and I'm pretty sure if I lurk on 90% I'll read something that is unsettling. Whatever tactic someone else uses...whether it is staying away from Quest bars (LOL), avoiding lunch at Pannera or not reading 90% thread...is a good suggestion!! I agree with you Avalon, and if we are trying not to go off plan...analyzing (which you do so well!!!!) what the triggers are, it's perfectly logical to put this out there. If we read it...who knows what the subconscious psyche is going to do with it...in either our conscious or unconscious battle. .... I don't need any encouragement. Just because any of us...esp me.... stayed On Plan for 9+ months...doesn't mean I don't still fight it. Everyday. The mind games I use on myself to stay focused will go on forever. I have to figure out how to control me to do that. And I'm not into reading or posting about the other mindset. My own mindset is way more than enough of a battle to cope with. That's one more thing I've learned this last year.

Logically, we know reading something that triggers a thought can happen on other threads too...but 90% is definitely a "safe zone" place for those postings!! I respect that even if I don't agree, and so knowing my/thyself enough to stick with topics that are going to help me finish this job means I don't lurk there either! THAT...is great tactic!!!

Last edited by 65X65; 10-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #6  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Avalon - yeah for you for staying strong! When temptation rears its head I always try to stop, take a deep breath and think "yes, that would taste good but will that momentary pleasure be worth undoing all my hard work to date?" So far, the answer has been no, it's not worth it.

It really is a learning process. Trying to change the way you think about food long term takes time. We can't undo a lifetime of going for the instant gratification, emotional eating, etc. in just a few weeks - it takes a lot of practice. P1 not only gets the weight off, it gives us a chance to change our relationship with food.

I've heard it repeated over and over - who's in control, you or the food? You are, of course! Good for you for identifying your triggers and ways to deal with them. Going to bed is good, reading a book, cleaning something, trying on smaller clothes, etc. all work.

You've had such great success and you have such a great attitude, stay strong!
Nice entry RuthAnn! I think it's important to self talk throughout this process and understanding what your triggers are only helps make you stronger in the process and armed with ways of staying 100% OP. Yes, we are all in control and we all make our own choices to stay 100% or not. For me, there is no other option but to be ALL IN and @Avalon, I know that you are the same way. This was a good experiment for you, to read the thread, go through those motions and to choose to go to bed; kudos!

I've been curious to enter that forum but then I stop and think, what am I going to learn from folks who are only 90% when I want to be nothing short of 100%?! So, I've stayed away.

Granted, we're faced with real life stuff and environments that don't set us up for success and create obstacles / challenges. That's real life for ya.

To answer your question, what do I do to suppress the desire for non-IP food that will derail my efforts, here are some of the things that go through my head:

1. Is it really worth going off OP and taking myself out of ketosis?
2. You read so many times a day, how people left ketosis by choice and then had such a struggle jumping back in = NOT where I want to be.
3. Exercise and if craving is still there, enjoy a pudding snack.
4. Get away from the kitchen, remove myself from anywhere close - go to another room altogether
5. Come to the forum and turn to your IP friends and vent - we are here for you!!

Kudos for choosing to go to bed and staying OP. The extra z's obviously did you wonders, congrats on the loss!

KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

You are not forced to look at this thread. Just do your thing and let others do theirs. You have to figure out your own way of doing things and what works and what does not. If others do it in a different way, then so be it. It should not derail you. I do not understand this constant bickering.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

Avalon if you're really craving pizza, you must try the cauliflower pizza crust, I had that last week for supper and still lost 1.6. I put low fat ham, peppers, jalapenos, mushrooms and tomatoes and some low sugar pizza sauce. It was delicious. I even found some low fat pepperoni which I also used.

I was craving junk food all weekend and decided to make it for my Sat night supper. My boyfriend even liked it.
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/tracker/125

Height: 5'2"

I had horrible craving yesterday. Almost smacked my DH for chewing in front of my face. End up eating 4th IP packet, 2 extra cukes and 3 pickles. Was pretty painful, had to remove myself from the kitchen. And, you all say, so much better in the morning, and you can start eating again.
masenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Awesome job with the coping strategies Avalon!
Staying on track is definately a learning experience
saskgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #11  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower40 View Post
Avalon if you're really craving pizza, you must try the cauliflower pizza crust, I had that last week for supper and still lost 1.6. I put low fat ham, peppers, jalapenos, mushrooms and tomatoes and some low sugar pizza sauce. It was delicious. I even found some low fat pepperoni which I also used.

I was craving junk food all weekend and decided to make it for my Sat night supper. My boyfriend even liked it.
Cauliflower is the most versatile vegetable! I love cauliflower pizza.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 183/151/114

Height: 5'3"

Hi Avalon,

I can totally relate to how you're feeling, in my case I'm not sure whether I should keep going or whether I'd be better off taking a break. I've been on IP since the start of July. I have a total of 69 pounds to lose. I lost 30 pounds in the first 3 months, it was going pretty steady at about 2.5 pounds a week and then suddenly the brakes went on. I've stuck to the diet anyhow but when very little happens for a few weeks you ask yourself how it could possibly not be working, and it starts getting to you. I've lost a substantial amount and I don't want to stop, but it's really frustrating to be living on these packets and chicken and fish and light veggies and be losing a pound a week (yes I'm still losing a pound a week). I'm asking myself if I should go off the diet and maintain for a couple of months and then go back on. It seems like when you first start, it works the fastest... although I never got the 5 pounds per week that it seems a lot of people do. So on one hand I think to myself, maybe I should take a break for a month or two. And then on the other hand I think, no, keep going- in two months even at a slow pace you'll still be down another 10 pounds, and that's 10 pounds lighter than now.

I expected when I went on this diet, that this whole process would take about 5 months, but with my loss slowed down so much it could go much longer.

I'm probably eating too much meat- but I'm hungry a lot and have been all the way through. I don't mind and can put up with it if I'm losing. But when I barely budge at all for 3 weeks, it starts feeling futile.
sanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfran View Post
Hi Avalon,

I can totally relate to how you're feeling, in my case I'm not sure whether I should keep going or whether I'd be better off taking a break. I've been on IP since the start of July. I have a total of 69 pounds to lose. I lost 30 pounds in the first 3 months, it was going pretty steady at about 2.5 pounds a week and then suddenly the brakes went on. I've stuck to the diet anyhow but when very little happens for a few weeks you ask yourself how it could possibly not be working, and it starts getting to you. I've lost a substantial amount and I don't want to stop, but it's really frustrating to be living on these packets and chicken and fish and light veggies and be losing a pound a week (yes I'm still losing a pound a week). I'm asking myself if I should go off the diet and maintain for a couple of months and then go back on. It seems like when you first start, it works the fastest... although I never got the 5 pounds per week that it seems a lot of people do. So on one hand I think to myself, maybe I should take a break for a month or two. And then on the other hand I think, no, keep going- in two months even at a slow pace you'll still be down another 10 pounds, and that's 10 pounds lighter than now.

I expected when I went on this diet, that this whole process would take about 5 months, but with my loss slowed down so much it could go much longer.

I'm probably eating too much meat- but I'm hungry a lot and have been all the way through. I don't mind and can put up with it if I'm losing. But when I barely budge at all for 3 weeks, it starts feeling futile.
Sanfran..CONGRATULATIONS!
You are almost at the halfway mark (!!!!) and your starting stats are close to what mine were, although you have a few vertical inches on me...which would give you a better BMR to work with in a perfect mathematical sense anyway...(which we KNOW is not true to form for most of us)!

At any rate.... Any slowdown when you start off losing slower in the first place, is a really big mental mountain. Keeping your motivation rolling will need to be a FT occupation to go the distance, but you can do it. Getting your head and self to a place where you recognize it is going to take more than 5 months....is a must. (I had 65 lbs to lose and hoped to be done in early June...it took until the end of summer.) After the first 30 came off the inches were really the thing that keep me going when the scale was what I considered slow...but actually ...I never stalled or plateaued. Any loss counts.The problem with being happy with that was really all me. I was impatient.

Many folks on here experience real stalls and plateaus, and at my age I should have been more accepting of the fact I was not going to lose this weight in a microscopic capsule of time. It took years to get that heavy.

My suggestion is to concentrate on yourself for the next 5-6 months. Get into clothes that FIT right and are more current. Resale shops do have a lot to offer at affordable $$...so does Target and Kohls!! Soon you will start to be more concerned with your body changing than the scale moving. Your waist should start redefining...those hips...will soon be looking like they are ready for the next smaller size...and absolutely pay attention to the rest of you...makeup...skin...hair and SMILE! (Get your teeth cleaned...do your nails). When the weight is all gone it could be a lot to do over since you may have not been as attentive to fashion, fit and fun when you were heavier. It's a big adjustment and if you think you should be waiting until you lose it all...it will become overwhelming. You are a swan emerging...start to fluff your feathers.... enjoy your accomplishments so far. You deserve to!! They are possibly a little mashed! Mine were and I suspect I was not alone in that. It won't be so intimidating if you start to pay homage to who you are becoming NOW! And it's fun!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #14  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Sunflower40 and Dak1lls, thanks for the califlower pizza idea -- that sounds really delish! You are right about cauliflower, it doesnt have much of a taste itself so I can see how it's a good base. Fortunately that craving is gone now (glory be) -- maybe posting here helped.

Saskgirl, yes, it's a learning experience to figure out what can "set us off" (and it will be different for everyone) and then modify your behaviors to avoid that situation. Gosh that was CLOSE, but I made it though, and I feel so much better and stronger today! Maybe I can go through another 3 months without another close call like that -- that would be great!

Sanfran, I feel for you on your recent slowdown -- and I totally get how easy it would be to lose motivation in the middle of one of those periods. Most of my diets in my past have ended after an extended slowdown or plateau where a part of me started to feel like: "why am I killing myself, I am not losing anyway". A couple things to check. 1.) really get CAREFUL with weighing and measuring (sometimes after being on the diet a long time we all get a little sloppy) 2.) check your Basal Metabolic Rate at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
this will tell you approx how many calories your body is burning each day at rest ... then total up the calories you are eating. These two numbers might be a lot closer than you think and could explain your stall. Maybe cut back a bit on your intake calories since there is a bit of "slop" there. I eat 10 oz of frozen organic broccoli a day (which is 4 c. loosly packed) ... if you chop your veggies very fine, you might be packing too much into a cup and might be getting too many carbs. 4.) Also you might need to start exercising more (but watch weight lifting as if you start putting on muscle, the scale could go up (but inches would come down)). 5. Make sure you are drinking at least 80 fl oz. of water a day, without enough H2O your body cannot break down and expel stored fat. Just a few ideas.

There is a lot of fine tuning each of us must do as our weight falls. I am so tall , that my BMR is higher than most, which explains my high rate of weight loss. But even with that, my BMR has dropped by nearly 250 calories a day due to losing 54 lbs. But my BMR is STILL close to 2000 calories a day, so I am running a deficit of about 1050 calories a day when I eat 950. You may need to adjust things to keep enough "distance" between what you are eating and what you are burning. If you can't eat less, try to burn more through added aerobic exercise or brisk walking or dancing or something! But you might be eating more calories than you think, so double check your daily intake totals through careful weighing.

Just a final note that (on average) humans need a deficit of 3500 calories (between what they are eating and what they are burning) total to lose 1.0 pounds of fat -- and when you burn 1.0 pounds of fat, 0.5 pounds of water is released. So when your calorie deficit totals 3500, you should lose 1.5 pounds off the scale (or thereabouts). My deficit is over 1000 calories a day, so every 3 days or so I should lose (in theory) 1 lb of fat and 1/2 lb of water for a total of 1.5 pounds on the scale ... or about 0.5 pounds on the scale per day. This is almost EXACTLY what I am losing. If your calorie deficit is smaller, you will lose less weight, that is just a scientific fact. The choices are to eat less, burn more, or just be happy with the slower losses on the scale. Every pound down is a good thing, no matter if it takes a day or a week or a month.

To everyone else that posted ... GOOD THOUGHTS!!! And KareVT, I like your list of 5. And RuthAnn, thanks for the great ideas and support.

Happy Dieting out there!!!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-20-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #15  

I think this is a great thread to keep alive, as everyone can attest to how they stave of the food/munchie demons!

Avalon...thanks for sticking your neck out on this. Most of the responders are cheering the idea to share what floats each of our boat to do this....

With the holidays approaching, everyone can/should use this for workin' the devils back home......!!

Takin' all the help I can get on this one!