Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Smile Pre-op or post-op, let's share

After decades of yo-yo dieting, last June I came to the decision that WLS is my last option. I've tried Weight Watchers, low carbs, calorie counting, etc. and although I can lose weight, I was never able to get to goal, or even maintain my losses. The effects of this to my physical and emotional health have been overwhelming. I am taking meds for hypertension, elevated cholesterol levels, and am considered pre-diabetic. Emotionally, I have been affected by the limits my weight has played on ordinary daily life. You know the ones I mean - huffing and puffing, struggling to tie your shoes, being careful which chair you choose, wearing what fits rather than what you like, being the biggest one in the room, etc. The list goes on and on!

After attending a WLS info meeting, my doctor and I agree that a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is the best choice for me. I have completed all the testing, and have only 2 -count 'em 2- more months to go before my info is turned in for final approval from my insurance company. If I am approved, surgery should be sometime in January.

I am fully aware that WLS is only a tool. I have already begun an exercise program, and feel great about that. Doc says this surgery will help me to lose roughly 65-70% of my 100 excess pounds, and I am committed to losing the balance through healthy eating. Having 80% of my stomach removed, (including most of those nasty ghrerlin hormones), and forced portion control, will finally five me a fighting chance to end my obesity. I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would love to hear about other WLS journeys, pre-op or post-op. Please share your experiences with me.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

congrats on making a decision! i know it's a hard choice and a long road...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Thank you, Jiff.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

Hi jane and jane!! I had my rny in June of this year and I'm down about 55 pounds. I'm very happy with my decision and have had zero complications. I know that's not typical but that's been my experience so far. HAppy, happy, happy!!
noranoranora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

Noranoranora, congrats on your loss so far! That's great! Oh, how glad I will be when I am as far along this journey as you! Did you have a preference in protein shakes? I've tried Premeir vanilla, and especially like adding cinnamon, or sf jello powder to them.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 372/235/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
After decades of yo-yo dieting, last June I came to the decision that WLS is my last option. I've tried Weight Watchers, low carbs, calorie counting, etc. and although I can lose weight, I was never able to get to goal, or even maintain my losses. The effects of this to my physical and emotional health have been overwhelming. I am taking meds for hypertension, elevated cholesterol levels, and am considered pre-diabetic. Emotionally, I have been affected by the limits my weight has played on ordinary daily life. You know the ones I mean - huffing and puffing, struggling to tie your shoes, being careful which chair you choose, wearing what fits rather than what you like, being the biggest one in the room, etc. The list goes on and on!

After attending a WLS info meeting, my doctor and I agree that a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is the best choice for me. I have completed all the testing, and have only 2 -count 'em 2- more months to go before my info is turned in for final approval from my insurance company. If I am approved, surgery should be sometime in January.

I am fully aware that WLS is only a tool. I have already begun an exercise program, and feel great about that. Doc says this surgery will help me to lose roughly 65-70% of my 100 excess pounds, and I am committed to losing the balance through healthy eating. Having 80% of my stomach removed, (including most of those nasty ghrerlin hormones), and forced portion control, will finally five me a fighting chance to end my obesity. I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would love to hear about other WLS journeys, pre-op or post-op. Please share your experiences with me.

I am 10 months post-op and have made a few videos to answer some of the most often asked questions. I had a rough recovery, but I am glad I made the choice to have vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I have 2 friends at work who had the RNY bypass and they are happy with their results as well.

I can't post links yet, but you can find me on Youtube - search for Frankensleeve
joatsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

Wow, I watched several of the videos, and have to say you did a great job explaining each topic. I like your Frankensleeve guy. Thank you so much for sharing!

Last edited by Jane; 10-29-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #8  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi,

I am almost 3 months out from a duodenal switch (as little understanding as I have, sort of a sleeve + malabsorption - please correct me if I am wrong). I have lost over a hundred pounds pre and post op.

One thing that I was not aware of that has come as a rather nasty surprise, is that the extremely low calorie intake and malabsorption factor leaves one cognitively impaired for about a year! This is not antidotal, it is what numerous research studies have shown is the case. I was devastated when I got this information from my doctor recently.

I am in law school, in the middle of a semester where I can not really understand, read, or absorb most of the information. I took a reduced load but have also had to drop all but 2 of my classes. I have no idea what I will do next semester but am just trying to take it one day at a time. I can not financially afford to quit school nor would I want to. Any one who has a very intellectually demanding job, you might want to consider this in the timing of your surgery. I have what I need cognitively to do the every day stuff of life, but definitely not what it takes to withstand the rigors of law school. Distressing, but there is not much I can do about it now.

That being said, I am still grateful for my surgery and the huge boost it has given me in losing weight. Like you Jane, I had tried everything else. Best wishes on your journey.

Best,

D

Last edited by activeadventurer; 10-28-2013 at 11:40 AM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

Hi D,
I can't compare the duodenal switch to the sleeve, because I've never research or read about the switch, so I don't know a thing about it. Jiff would be a great one to chime in here.

I'm so sorry for the cognitive impairment that you have suffered. In reading many, many posts from those who have have the vertical sleeve surgery, I haven't come across this particular side effect. Maybe it has something to do with the malabsorption, which isn't a factor in sleeve patients. On my last visit, the possible side effects were explained to me, but this wasn't mentioned. Regardless, thanks for the heads up, and I will be sure to ask my bariatric doc about it.

It encourages me that you said that even with the complication, you are still glad you had WLS. Thanks for the well wishes, and I'm sending some back to you! I hope you are feeling strong mentally and physically soon.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

i hadn't heard this, but it does make sense. did your surgeon say it was more common with one surgery than another? or all malabsorption procedures? or ...???

no matter what, though, you're keeping on track all the way around and you should be VERY proud of yourself!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jane
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #12  
GmaTo8

Thank you, Nelie.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #13  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi all,

Glad to here about all the good results. Jiffy. I am not sure if the cognitive impairment side effect is specific to my surgery or not. I simply noticed that one month after getting off the post op Vicodin, I was still feeling foggy brained. I used to do neuroscience research and thought " My brain is not getting enough glycogen" When I called my doctor to inquire, I got the "oh yeah, that is a known side effect..." I was/am really unhappy that no one told me about it before my surgery. All things said, I would have still had it but would have planned differently and not lost over 6 thousand dollars in tuition on classes I could not finish.

Thanks for listening to my rant. If I get any more information I will post it. They tell me it improves somewhat at 6 months and by one year post op, I will be back to where I was before surgery. One plus, I find doing cardio a great way of dealing with the frustration and anxiety the situation has created.

best D

Last edited by activeadventurer; 11-12-2013 at 09:48 PM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #14  

Doesn't the body continue to convert fat to glycogen (as it does for low carbers) after surgery? The body has no need of any carbs.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

<i can''t talk about carbs right now. i'm eating cookies. not a lot of cookies - just a couple>