Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm in trouble deep

So I love running. Really I do. And I've accidentally become the running coach for my co-workers via the couch to 5k. As in I've done it with several small groups of them.

One has stuck with it and become my weekly running buddy. It's awesome! I talked her into doing a half marathon this march, and she loved it. But I haven't gone running since. Well, we go once a week, but I got all fat and I am very allergic to the town I live in, and...[insert chain of excuses here]. So while I haven't totally stopped, I run for about 20 minutes lately and call it good. Now it's fall, and I'm ready to do more, but once again we are C25King with another co-worker, and obviously that can't be rushed, so I'm still at about the 2-mile point. I suspect I could run 3 without much trouble. Maybe 3.5 if I take it real easy.

The problem? I promised I would run a 10K on Oct. 13. And I can't back out--this co-worker traveled to another town and got a hotel room to do the half with me. So what do I do?

Oh, and I'm sick. As in knocked-on-my-butt-for-days, finally-on-the-mend-but-still-feverish-and-whiny sick. So I can't just go for a run today. I'm loosely planning on another C25K session tomorrow but not if I'm still feeling like today. Advice?
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I have been running too, and I love it, once I get started. But...I will use every single excuse in the world to not get started.

So I feel ya.

My advice...provided you don't have a fever...I say just get out there and do it. Do the c25k with the coworkers and run on your own the other days
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #3  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Okay so my understanding is that based on where you are currently, you're unsure you'll be totally 10K ready in 2 weeks? My suggestion is maybe to tell your co-worker that you've been ill and it's taken a lot out of you and your fitness but that you're still committed to doing the 10K with her but will probably need to take it really easy and walk some of it. Just make the disclosure beforehand and encourage her to run ahead at her own pace if she chooses, that way neither of you have to feel guilty. I think it will be fine as long as you prepare her expectations ahead of time.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

You have to be honest, and tell this person that you've slacked off. There's no shame in that but this will alleviate an enormous amount of pressure off you if you let her know that you've not prepared properly and won't be able to keep up with her. I would still go through with it and walk as much as you need to.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #5  

If you're sick you can't run. Sometimes you have to cancel out on prior running commitments to others because of circumstances out of your control. Just make sure you get back on schedule once you're well.

As far as helping your co-workers get into running--that is fantastic. Something which is very difficult to do--and if you can end up with even 1 person out of 10 that will stick with it, you deserve an award for that.

And you don't have to keep up with a friend--she will appreciate that you're there anyway--even if you have to walk most of the way.

Last edited by Kscott; 10-03-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I hate that feeling of inspiring other people and then not following through myself.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've never been a runner, but I can relate to your issue on a different level. What I suggest is that you look at the commitment to yourself as a priority. I hate to make a cliche analogy, but it really fits here...I'm thinking of what they tell parents to do in the event of an airplane crash landing...they always say to put the oxygen mask on yourself first before you put it on your children. Nobody will fault you if you are straight forward.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Based on what you've said, I think you can easily complete the 10k -- not run the whole thing, but finish it for sure with walk breaks as needed and taking it easy on the pace when you are running. Just tell your friend to feel free to run ahead, that you've been sick and won't be pushing your pace at all. And tell her your training hasn't been all you could hope for -- she'll understand. Or at least I would if I were your friend!

If you are still sick on the race date, I advise not running of course.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-03-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Here's how it went: I told my buddy I was going to walk and run, and I did. I finished in 1:24, so yes, slower than last year, but not bad for walking half of it. In the great news column, my buddy met her goal of finishing in under an hour and took third in her age group!
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #10  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Yeah! Congratulations on following through! Completing Couch25K is one of my goals in the next 6 months. I admire your dedication to your coworkers! I'll be going it alone, unfortunately.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote