View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Jane

Smile Pre-op or post-op, let's share

After decades of yo-yo dieting, last June I came to the decision that WLS is my last option. I've tried Weight Watchers, low carbs, calorie counting, etc. and although I can lose weight, I was never able to get to goal, or even maintain my losses. The effects of this to my physical and emotional health have been overwhelming. I am taking meds for hypertension, elevated cholesterol levels, and am considered pre-diabetic. Emotionally, I have been affected by the limits my weight has played on ordinary daily life. You know the ones I mean - huffing and puffing, struggling to tie your shoes, being careful which chair you choose, wearing what fits rather than what you like, being the biggest one in the room, etc. The list goes on and on!

After attending a WLS info meeting, my doctor and I agree that a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is the best choice for me. I have completed all the testing, and have only 2 -count 'em 2- more months to go before my info is turned in for final approval from my insurance company. If I am approved, surgery should be sometime in January.

I am fully aware that WLS is only a tool. I have already begun an exercise program, and feel great about that. Doc says this surgery will help me to lose roughly 65-70% of my 100 excess pounds, and I am committed to losing the balance through healthy eating. Having 80% of my stomach removed, (including most of those nasty ghrerlin hormones), and forced portion control, will finally five me a fighting chance to end my obesity. I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would love to hear about other WLS journeys, pre-op or post-op. Please share your experiences with me.