Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - World Vegetarian Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My walk, CREDIT moi, included passing a "Free Library" installed as a box on a post in a yard nearby - one citizen's donation to the world. I returned the book I'd borrowed the week before. Missed the opportunity of leaving a few others; I don't know if that'd be appreciated.

Second walk was to a real city library to return two books that weren't due for a week, but likely to be in demand so I thought I'd get them back in circulation faster.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good grief! Walking rapidly past a book sale I noticed the top book was Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - thinking that the third time I see this title in two days means that I'm supposed to go read it. Kudos for being within striking distance of your September exercise goal. [Tks for more camera stuff.]

CeeJay - Ouch for time in the dental chair - such an invasion of personal space.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, Kudos for remembering that you can type even while not connected to the web. I have a friend who answers her email that way on long flights; has her secretary post them to the web later.

maryann - Yay for using a metaphor to power your sails.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Huge Kudos for getting rid of clutter - from a person who knows how to collect it big time. And Huge Kudos for hanging in and moving forward.

nationalparker – I vote Galapagos Islands. I am totally hooked on Quaker Oat Squares - they're for breakfast just as soon as I finish typing here.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for "one seriously buff resistance muscle" - looks good on you.

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Consider the following:
You don't have to tell people you're dieting. You can tell them that you've decided to eat in a more healthful way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 90.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Seriously, it's October? How did that happen?

Another good day of staying OP on food despite lots of temptation. (I have been at a conference the last two days so all catered food). Have not achieved exercise and Wellbeing goals today but last night was a very late night with a conference dinner and then some work emails to deal with before I could go to bed so I won't give myself too much grief. Sleep was more important this morning. And tomorrow is a clearer day so exercise etc will happen. And now that I have told you all it really well. I have committed to it and have no choice.

My credits - staying OP on food these last 2 days. "No choice" and having a plan have been my saviours. Opting to park in my usual place, which involves a 10 min walk to my office, even though I had the option to park closer these 2 days. Being mindful and forgiving of the social anxiety that comes with spending 2 days making small talk with professional colleagues I don't know.

Maryann - love your metaphor - what a great image to conjure up to cope with anxiety

National Parker - hope you enjoyed your homebody night in

Ceejay - ouch on the root canal. Credit to you for stayin on track with such a yucky event in your day

New lifestyle - lovely to see you back. Good on you for grabbing the lifeline

BBE - loved your taking the frequent sightings of the Guernsey book as a sign! And what a fine citizen you are to return books for the greater good and not wait until you are obliged.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

I met my exercise goal in September and managed a 100%OP day yesterday -- Credit & Credit!

WI: -0.15 kg, Exercise: +35 1410/1400 minutes for September, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ForMyGirls: great to hear how you're coping with a conference. I'm going to one tomorrow through Friday and I want to, somehow, continue my exercise and make good choices with food. You're helping me think through that "somehow" part.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick post here - I PM'd Beth to say if at all possible, check out the audiobook of the "Guernsey Literary ..." - it was a GEM and now want to share that thought if others enjoyed the book or might check it out. I listened to it and had a few days left and restarted it - never have done that with a book - ever. Hopped online to see if the authors had written anything else, but one passed away, so that's not to be. Recommended it to my sister, who, when she got it at her library, the librarian was so excited to tell her about it, and three friends of varying ages at work have enjoyed it, including a German friend, etc. Now I want to re-check it out

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #6  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I started to post about 40 minutes ago--and decided I didn't want to post that I still wasn't walking (it's been well over a week) so I got up, put on my shoes, grabbed a jacket and went out and walked. My legs feel better, I feel virtuous, and my toe didn't like the walk at all. Hmm. I hope the orthotic they're making helps that.

Spontaneous exercise (sorta) was staining the deck after dinner. We got through the rails/stiles on the small deck. We brought out lights so we could keep working. Tomorrow we start the big deck. This task is SO MUCH easier than it was when we did it several years ago when I was 50 lbs heavier! (Oh yeah--and I'm still using the 3rd floor bathroom at work)

I've decided to try a few different evening treats (besides the ice cream treats) in hopes that I'll be able to fight the "this is the only time I can have this" overdoing I do at parties. (And I'm hosting a houseparty in a few weeks for about 15 people so there will be lots of food)

I made it to the grocery store yesterday but didn't really plan meals very well. I did have today planned, so I'm going to plan tomorrow now so there are no choices to be made tomorrow.

nationalparker: I don't know if I'll listen to The
Guernsey Literary ...
(I'm more visual than auditory) but I've already told my BFF and DD that they need to read it--I can't believe how good it was and how disappointed I was when it was finished.

gardenerjoy: Congrats on meeting your exercise goal for the month of September!! That's fantastic. Good luck at your conference tomorrow.

ForMyGirls: Way to go at conference OP eating. Thanks for the nudging about the parking place--that's a good idea.

BillBE: Credit for walking--to impromptu and traditional libraries--did you take advantage of returning the books early to acquire some more? (And did you pick up The Guernsey Literary.. at the book sale?

Newlifestyle (Ann): I'm glad you grabbed the lifeline and I look forward to you posting!

CeeJay: I look forward to getting to know you--I've been around since January. This group has really helped me stay (and get back) on track!

Take care, all.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Not the most stellar eating day- did not use resistance when faced with sugar at a particularly dull meeting this afternoon. Happy to report I did not continue down that path for the rest of the day but instead stuck to my plan. Credit for riding exercise bike this morning, doing shoulder/arm exercises, and reading my advantage and response cards.

Newlifestyle- waving hello. Nice to meet you.

BillBlueEyes- thanks for continuing to post the quotes from Beck. They always act as a great reminder.

ForMyGirls-impressed that you were able to stay on plan during your conference. I always find that difficult.

gardnerjoy-yay for meeting your exercise goals. Good luck at your conference.

nationalparker-thanks for the book recommendation-always love checking out new titles.

bethfromDayton-thanks for sharing about finding your deck staining so much easier with 50 pounds less weight. It is really great to read about these sort of changes. A reminder of how uncomfortable I am and about what the solution is!

Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – So I just did it; I ordered The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society from the library. If it's fate that I'm to read it, might as well begin.

Gym, CREDIT moi, included the exercise class I'm growing to like. Once again, I was the only participant giving me a FREE one-on-one training session. We ended with ten minutes of Zumba, primarily because that's what the leader wants to do all day long. Good music. One part of the movement was the old dance, 'The Twist' - felt like a time warp. Walked to Trader Joe's to replenish pecans.

onebyone – Waving. Voted again today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, it's converting "somehow" into a plan that's the tricky part, LOL. Good luck at your conference.

CeeJay - Dull meetings should be outlawed, LOL, particularly dull meetings that try to make themselves OK with unnecessary donuts and cookies. Kudos for ignoring the sugar.

nationalparker – As stated above, I'm on board "Guernsey Literary ..." I've never done an audio book- would think that a neat idea for a long commute.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Ouch for the slowly recovering toe; Kudos for walking it anyway. Such a challenging Sabotaging Thought, "this is the only time I can have this."

ForMyGirls - Many Kudos for staying your path despite the catered foods and hours of small talk. Lovely Beck summarized: " "No choice" and having a plan have been my saviours."

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Consider the following: . . .
How differently will people really view you? No matter what happens, if they've had a positive view of you, they'll probably still think of you positively.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 90.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

100% OP on food and exercise / Wellbeing today. Yay :-) looking forward to weigh in tomorrow morning after a week of being back on track.

Gardener joy - woo hoo for meeting your exercise goal for the month. That is a great achievement.

National Parker - now you have me intrigued about the Guernsey book - I shall go googling

Beth - how great that the prospect of posting got you out walking. Great thinking about varying your treats too. I get such delight out of thinking about what my indulgences will be each week.

Ceejay - so many great credits in there - especially the getting straight back on track.

BBE - loving being reminded of the Twist!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #10  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning everyone,
Eating was good yesterday, I have planned my food for today and I am off for a walk.
I am off work today yeah, I have spread myself thin, I am doing two jobs, why I am not sure, I guess I want to see if the new job works out. The older job, I am treated so well that my loyalty stops me from quitting, I think I can do both part time. I still have to figure that out.
Have a wonderful day.
Take Care
Ann
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

I decided the "somehow" plan for my conference is simple -- I just need to dust off my travel plan. I didn't think of that earlier because it's in town. But, really, all that means is that I sleep in my own bed. For everything else, I might as well be traveling.

So, breakfast in my "room" (at home before I leave, even when it's early). No snacks. As many vegetables as I can get at meals. As much walking as possible -- I'll probably skip at least one session a day to make that happen.

And, the new piece of my travel plan since I realized that the real problem is when I get home: I'll weigh-in on Sunday and post here -- no matter what happens between now and then.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I have a short window for checking in. Food yesterday included nibbles at work. Ouch. The good news is it didn't have the effect of shutting off my brain to my healthy lifestyle. credit. Back to smoothie and a planned day today. My No Choice this morning will be to do my exercise before I leave the house. I know it won't happen later.

Ann(Newlifestyle), great that you are playing the field with another job. Always glad to see you.

onebyone, I voted today, too, and agree it's a crummy way to do it. Oh, well.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #13  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! I take off tomorrow for Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks- so our plans will have to be fluid as this trip's been in the works since the spring. Our "sibling weekend" and my sister's pick. I'm getting shorted out on two Nat'l Parks on my want to do list. Lexxiss, I haven't listed the ones that I've been to, but will start that list ... kind of funny timing, but it'll all work out.

Food has been okay but continue to be shocked at how little food I actually NEED. Well, maybe not shocked, but sure as heck disappointed in a way.

Tonight is just packing and cleaning. Saw that the temps dropped quite a bit this week, so will add more warmer clothes.

Work was an all-morning meeting followed by lunch, which had a wonderful salad and three entree options, and a variety of desserts. Ate a larger lunch and small dinner, so am doing "so/so" today. Balanced it out. Bought some 100 calorie packs of almonds to keep portions in control for snacks for the trip. I am not a 100-cal pack person, but for something that's not loaded with tons of fake stuff, I'm good with that.

LIstening to the end of a book on tape and need to download a few books onto my kindle. All's good on vacation eve
Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good evening everyone!

Credit today for reading response and advantage cards, exercise bike 20 minutes in AM and 20 minutes in PM, tracking food, planning tomorrow and packing up lunch and dinner for tomorrow (night in a hotel- work related). Food today was not great again- visited the vending machine- but was down 2 pounds this morning. Tomorrow will be better!!!

BillBlueEyes- nice that you are getting the one-on-one training sessions. The Twist ought to get things moving, eh?

ForMyGirls-yay for a week on track!! Good thoughts sent your way for your weigh-in.

Newlifestyle- two jobs must be quite the juggling act-good for you for being able to have a day off and head off for a walk.

gardenerjoy-enjoy the conference- you are armed with a good plan.

Lexxiss-I am also finding the morning exercising helps. Get up and get it done so if I flake out in the evening it does not become a day with no exercise.

nationalparker-hope you have a wonderful vacation. I googled the parks you are visiting and they look magnificent.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #15  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

Food was within parameters today but we swapped out dinner for something faster so we could maximize the light for staining the deck.

When we came in when it got dark, as I was cleaning the paint brushes, I wanted a cookie treat. And I wasn't planning one for tonight. And I told myself that I wasn't going to have one. Tomorrow was treat night--not tonight. And the decision did somehow make it easier--and I didn't have any cookies!

I've only been at my new job 3.5 weeks--and Friday will be my last day. It has turned out to be a really poor fit and I got another offer which I accepted. I think the new position will be a good match for my skills and interests and I'm pretty excited about it.

No exercise today beyond the spontaneous kind. But we made progress on the deck!

Have a good night all.
Closed Thread