Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/144/105

Height: 5'0

Question Why is restarting IP SOOO HARD?!

I am struggling SO much on restarting IP. First time I did it i was on it for about three months, didnt cheat once and didnt feel deprived, but every day ive tried restarting I go a few days then I find myself STARVING, cranky, fatigued, cheating and completely falling off track.. I didnt have any issues starting it the first time, ugh.

Any tips on getting restarted? Has anyone else had issues restarting?
Strongisthenewskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

all the time
the only thing that has kept me going this long is my wedding coming up in 10 months.
I find the first 2-3 weeks the hardest, once I get into a momentum I'm OK.
I also don't follow protocol 100% all the time...
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #3  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Took me almost 3 years to restart! I tried so many times, and just couldn't make it past day three. I think coming back to this forum is what kept me going this time. I need to be held accountable, and I find that coming here daily (or hourly ) really helps me. Good luck!!

Last edited by shrinkingsusie; 10-09-2013 at 09:44 PM.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

You are all stronger than you think! You did it once and if you stick with it, you can do it again.

I have literally walked around the block to get myself away from a temptation and mentally tell myself that I am stronger than that piece of cheese, or leftover cookie at work, or wine!

Tonight I am sitting down to a tasty batch of potato puree muffins and a glass of club soda, but I often have "willpower" going through my head when needed.

Best of luck!
berteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

Set a short term goal. They say that if you can make it 21 days you can stick to anything. So make a 21 day plan to stay OP and not cheat. See what happens and then go from there
kdspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #6  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongisthenewskinny View Post
I am struggling SO much on restarting IP. First time I did it i was on it for about three months, didnt cheat once and didnt feel deprived, but every day ive tried restarting I go a few days then I find myself STARVING, cranky, fatigued, cheating and completely falling off track.. I didnt have any issues starting it the first time, ugh.

Any tips on getting restarted? Has anyone else had issues restarting?
If you are having trouble getting over the first few day hump ... eat 4 or 5 packs of IP a day or 1 or 2 extra 4 oz servings of lean meat ... that will at least get your carbs and sugar down ... then by day 4 or 5 cut back to the recommended amt and continue from there.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #7  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

I am in the same boat, the first time around was super duper easy for me, I was so focused and never ever cheated until I decided to give myself a break for Christmas, after which, it was a disaster, I never came back as 100% as I was first time around, I tried million of times restarting! It is hard, but not impossible.

Let's do this
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

It took me a few years to restart too! It was more of a head game. I had to let go of all those cravings. I actually had a dinner party the night before and gave away all of my 'temptations' like crackers, yogurt, fruit. It got all the food that could break me out of my house and my friends were very happy they got food without going to the grocery store!

I have found that the more I put into it, the more I get out. On my grocery shopping days I actually chop and measure into bags. That way when I get home after a long day I can throw to bags of veggies into the oven for roasting or throw on a salad. It has helped me a lot! Plus this site has helped a ton for recipes and support because none of my friends my age are doing it@
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/189.6/130

Height: 5'4"

I agree restarting is MUCH harder than the first time!!!! I was down 22 lbs in less than a month and didn't even feel like I was dieting after the first couple days!!!! I ran out of IP products and the cost just seemed too steep to buy more (hindsight that was a huge mistake).. I now have alternative products on hand and can't get the mindset to get going!!!!

I can do this tho... I'm going to find the mental zone!!!!!! Just hope it's SOON!!

Last edited by Jbhigdon; 10-15-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Jbhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5'5

I am having a horrible time trying to restart...I did IP over a year ago and lost 55 pounds, I've since gained it all back plus some I'm on my 5th time trying to restart and it is so so hard. Feeling very discouraged.
chargergirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #11  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Can I just say how helpful this thread is for me. I was debating phasing off for the holidays but I keep thinking on every other diet I've been on I've never as gung-ho as I was the first time around. I'm so focused and motivated on IP I'm afraid if I phase off before goal I won't be able to get back on, so I really appreciate you sharing your struggles. Thank you.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
Can I just say how helpful this thread is for me. I was debating phasing off for the holidays but I keep thinking on every other diet I've been on I've never as gung-ho as I was the first time around. I'm so focused and motivated on IP I'm afraid if I phase off before goal I won't be able to get back on, so I really appreciate you sharing your struggles. Thank you.
So glad you found this thread! I feel the same way. I was thinking this morning how hard it was in the beginning to want to go grab some M&M's but today i do not want them. I know how it'll mess me up. I feel the same way about the holidays. The holidays is such a fun time because we get to catch up with family and friends. As much as you think the holidays are about food-don't let them be! I have been thinking about the multiple dishes I can bring to events where others won't even realizing they are eating OP and not even on IP! Then you'll blend in with everyone and your evening parties won't be filled with explaining IP!
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/189.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Feeling encouraged!!! Scale went down today!!!!

Family reunion Saturday will be a challenge, but I can do this!!!!
Jbhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #14  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Oh gosh you are so not alone! I quickly Phased off in August in an attempt to get my LDL cholesterol down enough to pass my employers health screening for the year, the deadline was the last day of September. I have been struggling to get two good OP days in a row at this point. It's been brutal for me because I did this for nearly eight months and it was something I was doing so well at. Last week I was wondering why I just couldn't seem to do it now, and failing to see any good reasons for the failing.
Sunday morning I woke up and decided "This is the day dang it, and I am gonna let everyone at work know it too!" Somehow that has helped a lot. Today I didn't work but still doing good, feel a bit hungry but had a dill pickle!

I wish you much luck in finding the right head-space to get back into this totally mental game. I know if I can figure it out any one can.
MntRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #15  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Typically the pain of being fat, having health problems, looking bad, feeling bad, etc ... has to overcome the good feelings of eating bad/unhealthy food or simply eating too many calories for your BMR. Food is an escape and sometimes a "soother" and sometimes addictive. It can be a surrogate for other things that you might find lacking in your life (love for example) ... or a way to relieve stress.

For some it takes a crisis (health or emotional) to get them on the track of losing weight and getting healthier. You have to find some way to really want it; otherwise it's simply "more fun" to eat too much (even if that is only during little "cheating" periods that are justified by their short duration). It's a similar dynamic that keeps alcoholics from getting on the wagon, or drug addicts from kicking the habit.

I know that feeling well, as I have gone through periods myself when I just could not get going, and usually I needed something to push me over the edge to start dieting.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-15-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote