Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat October 7 - October 13

At last we had a rainy day Sunday where the wet, fallen leaves track into the house. The all day drizzly rain makes me feel the Autumn.

We had weekend house guests so I got to do a tour of Boston. I never get tired of walking about gawking at the city. We also did the boat tour of Boston Harbor that specialized in stopping by the U.S.S. Constitution - the oldest commissioned ship in the U.S. Navy. Alas, we couldn't stop to see "Old Ironsides" due to the U.S. Government shutdown. Oh Well.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We had a rainy weekend here too Bill. I'm really glad - no yards to worry about watering this week. It's still pouring here this morning - hope it stops before my noon walk where I have to introduce the new puppy to the street dog. I prefer to not be hampered by jacket hoods and things when doing stuff like that.

Too bad about the boat tour and so weird that your government has been hijacked by a segment of one of its own parties.

I am going to be so glad to be back at my functional house tomorrow night!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

We had a significant amount of rain yesterday, too. We finally figured out that the weird wet spot on the basement floor (happily, near the sump) is due to our not having gutters ... due to the unfinished siding project. Ramping that one up a few notches, as it's been 10 months now and I think we keep getting bumped to the bottom of the pile because a) we're too patient and civilized to be squeaky wheels about it and b) they are working on stuff that they know they can finish quickly.

I survived my first week back to swim practices with a coached team. Family is adjusting, with minor griping.

Dagmar, IMO - it's not only one little segment causing the problem. It's the whole "my way or the highway" mindset that they are ALL in - drunk with power and feeling absolutely no need to represent the people who elected them any more. It's quite embarassing. Good luck with the puppy!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

No rain here. It was absolutely beautiful this weekend. Well, Saturday was a tad bit windy and that stoked the fire at Camp Pendleton--we saw the plume of smoke in the distance right as it had started. Interestingly, there were a bunch of fireman "holding the boot" on the roads near the wineries so we stopped to donate and asked them about the fire as there wasn't any news on it that we could find (also we wondered why they weren't out there fighting it). Since it was at Camp Pendleton the local fire department hadn't been called in yet.

Sunday DH and I cleaned two of three back yard patios. First we blew off all the accumulated sand, dust and leaves. Then I removed cushions, soaped up all the furniture frames and scrubbed, then hosed it all off. Afterward, all the cushions got a good vacuuming before being returned to their respective frames. DH power washed one patio surface, scrubbed it with a soapy broom and rinsed and then cleaned the grill. Next weekend we'll do the fire pit patio and do a quick power wash on the pool patio (but the furniture there is all done).

My in-laws return on Saturday and we have to power wash the lot before they return. My kids are coming home--but DS is only coming for Sunday (he just HAS to go see is best friend in UCLA on Saturday). I had already planned on everyone coming for dinner on Saturday so now I have to change those plans. I'm not sure when DD and her fiance are coming but I assume either Friday night or Saturday morning.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

It rained here on & off all weekend from the remnants of TS Karen, but we never got any major weather. All of our tropical storm prep was a good drill, though I wish BF had been a little more worried so I could have convinced him to clean up more of his junk under the house. I was generally responsible and actually got my bag packed for Bermuda and am treading water on my directorial responsibilities, since I won't have any time today to do anything extra unless I leave work early. I have a few last-minute things to finish and clean up at home, though BF will still be home so I don't have to totally clean the fridge etc. I have to get up at 3:45 AM tomorrow. I will just remind myself how nice it will be once I'm there and spending time with my Mom, even if it hurts a little in the morning. I also told BF he might have to help kick me out of bed.

I actually looked up the restrictions on the TSA website and you are allowed to bring disposable razors in your carry-on luggage. Just in case anyone was curious about the final verdict.

Bill, I always enjoy having company because it reminds me to go enjoy our attractions, too. Boston is such a neat city to walk around.

Dagmar, enjoy your own home.

Allison, your winery weekend sounds like a lot of fun. Aww, at least DS will be home for a day. They grow up so fast.

Michele, how was your weekend in Napa? Did you manage to relax and rest?

I'm not sure if I will be checking in from Bermuda or not, so if not, have a great week everyone.

Last edited by Megan1982; 10-07-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan-- are you meeting your mom in Bermuda then? Is your boyfriend going too? It sounds wonderful either way!

My weekend in Napa was amazing. We were only there 24 hours but it is so nice there. Weather was perfect. Great bed and breakfast. Amazing food. We had a massage yesterday. And dh and I got to relax and sleep a bit. Couldn't ask for more.

The only thing that would have made it perfect would be if my new car had happened. It is hopefully happening today. We were at the dealer Friday evening from 4:30 till 8:30 and were supposed to pick up our new car yesterday on the way home from Napa. The dealer was trying to obtain the car from another dealer and that dealer had put extra big expensive tires on the car which we don't want or need. So our dealer is trying to get another car delivered today. If it happens, we will go after work today to get it and sign the papers. If it doesn't, we may have to wait as dh leaves for China Wednesday and he has all day/evening work stuff tomorrow.

The only other downside to our Napa trip is my weight. It was already shockingly high before I left and it is up 3 more pounds. Of course, I'm back on track today and praying to flush some of it out.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hooray!! Common ground! Solidarity (potentially, if we let it!)!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/litera...althy%20Living
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Oh I am not having a good start to my week at all. NOT AT ALL.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Megan-- are you meeting your mom in Bermuda then? Is your boyfriend going too? It sounds wonderful either way!

My weekend in Napa was amazing. We were only there 24 hours but it is so nice there. Weather was perfect. Great bed and breakfast. Amazing food. We had a massage yesterday. And dh and I got to relax and sleep a bit. Couldn't ask for more.

The only thing that would have made it perfect would be if my new car had happened. It is hopefully happening today. We were at the dealer Friday evening from 4:30 till 8:30 and were supposed to pick up our new car yesterday on the way home from Napa. The dealer was trying to obtain the car from another dealer and that dealer had put extra big expensive tires on the car which we don't want or need. So our dealer is trying to get another car delivered today. If it happens, we will go after work today to get it and sign the papers. If it doesn't, we may have to wait as dh leaves for China Wednesday and he has all day/evening work stuff tomorrow.

The only other downside to our Napa trip is my weight. It was already shockingly high before I left and it is up 3 more pounds. Of course, I'm back on track today and praying to flush some of it out.
What kind of car did you get ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
What kind of car did you get ?
I haven't gotten it yet but it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Quite a bit larger than my mini cooper but it should suit our purposes better when the inlaws visit or dd visits with her service dog.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Shannon I hope your week turns around!

After a weekend of re-enacting Burning Man celebrating BF and another friend's 30th birthdays in the rainy woods instead of the hot desert I am carrying around a few lbs of bloat, tired, and not happy about having to bust my butt all last-minute like for my organization's annual conference which is...WEDNESDAY. O_o Late nights ahead!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I haven't gotten it yet but it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Quite a bit larger than my mini cooper but it should suit our purposes better when the inlaws visit or dd visits with her service dog.
Sounds great !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Shannon, what happened? Food-related or stress-related? Actually, how can we tell between the two?

Though I'm not comfortable when my mother's visiting, I always feel sad and bereft when she's gone, coming home from work to an empty apartment. I know this will pass by tomorrow morning.

Unexpectedly I'll be helping to conduct job interviews, both on the phone and in my office, as the HR dept understandably doesn't want candidates to wait two weeks while I'm out on PTO all next week. I was hoping not to have to lump this into all the other tasks I've got to complete to attain escape velocity by the end of the week. But honestly yes I do think of these people whose hopes we've all raised and what it must be like to wait for word.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Hooray!! Common ground! Solidarity (potentially, if we let it!)!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/litera...althy%20Living
I find shopping online to be quite liberating re time saved, no humiliation in public, etc. I do have to deal with returns sometimes but certain companies have that figured out to a relatively painless level. Also with products that fit great one year and then are completely different the next. But in terms of clothes fitting I find I do best with the "outdoorsy" lines for work and play.

Now if I have to find a dress, on the other hand . . . !

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #15  

Hope things are going better for you today Shannon.

I am the proud new owner of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Picked it up last night and dh drove it home so I didn't drive it until this morning to work. I'll have to figure out all the bells and whistles! I started it remotely though which was really cool!

Picking it up knocked me out of another day's exercise though. I'm feeling absolutely huge. I haven't weighed this much in years-- probably 4 years. I was perfect yesterday food wise and tried to flush water weight out but I was only down .5 of a pound today. I'm hoping that I'll get to bikram today and work on the fluids. I can't believe it's all fat but that could be my harsh reality. Either way, dh leaves for China tomorrow and my book fair is next week (setting up this Friday) so I'll have ample opportunity to work on getting some pounds off. I usually lose during book fair as long as I'm careful-- I'm on my feet all day every day, moving boxes, etc. so I just have to watch my food and still get to the gym/yoga.