General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #1  

Default Just had my gallbladder removed, need to lose weight/keep it off

I am 28 years old and have ALWAYS had issued with my weight. A couple of years ago i went from 233+(im 5'5', i was probably more but didnt want to weigh myself). to 130 lbs, i used calorie counting, but i have OCD, and the counting became an obsession that led me to overeating and quickly gaining back the weight.

I ended up in the hospital this week, i had been living with GB attacks for a year. It turns out my pancreas was inflamed and my gb hardened filled with stones. I spent two days on antibiotics to calm my pancreas and then my gb was removed, when it was removed it was found to be infected despite the antibiotics. so, i am still on antibiotics. i dont want to go back to the hospital, i am a young woman, i dont want to lead myself down a path of hospitals, pills, medications. i want to be HEALTHY, not just worrying about appearances (i have self esteem issues).

I want to believe its not too late. But i have tried so many times before. i need some serious advice from someone that has lost the weight and kept it off.

I actually enjoy fruits and veggies and every morning i drink a smoothie of fruits veggies, almond milk blended with my Bullet blender. the problem is i LOVE unhealthy food too. i used to buy a bag of chocolate and eat it in 1-2 days, i got rid of that habit. and then switched to cookies, then rice krispy treats. lol i also like fast food places because its so easy and it tastes good. i tried making myself home cooked frozen meals, and taking to college some healthy snacks, but its so hard to say no when i drive by a fast food place.

I need a healthy way to lose weight that wont lead me to obsessing. i cannot go back to eating until im nauseous and in pain (i havent done this for a year). im lost and need help, please advice me.

Havent weighed myself in awhile, but i would guess myself to be around 170-190, i used to weight myself daily and my moods would depend on my weight, so i dont want to do that anymore.
Thismomentisfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Have you heard of intuitive eating? I wonder if that would work as an approach that doesn't include counting.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedspirit View Post
Have you heard of intuitive eating? I wonder if that would work as an approach that doesn't include counting.
yes, thats what i do now. i only eat when im hungry, but i do tend to eat out at places i shouldnt
not now obviously, as i just had surgery, but before surgery, i was eating healthy half the time and then unhealthy the other. i was trying to trust my body as a book i read, but it wasnt helping.
thanks for responding!

Last edited by Thismomentisfate; 10-07-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I wish I had more advice or insight to offer. I think many of us here, if not all of us, have struggled with saying "no" to certain foods and have/had to face this dilemma time and time again.

Do you find you're eating for emotional reasons? If so, perhaps counseling (if that's accessible to you) may be a step forward.

Do you find you're eating mostly "because it tastes so darn good"? If so, I would again ask if there's an element of emotional eating involved. My second thought, however, would be to look at how your body responds to the foods (dishes) and specific ingredients you eat, and which ones it finds hard to resist. Then, I would gradually substitute them with other foods that aren't as addictive for you.

Lastly, I also wonder if sometimes we eat foods that are problematic for our weight loss because we lack joy, fulfillment, passion, or overall happiness in other aspects of our lives. I agree that food can be delicious. But when we eat food IN SPITE of wanting to lose weight which brings us unhappiness/frustration/misery/(fill in the blank), it bodes to reason that there is something more complex at hand. Food can be delicious, and in the moment it can be a source of enjoyment/passion/happiness, but it's more momentary (imo)... when we begin to treat food as a lifelong or regular source of happiness, fulfillment, comfort, (fill in the blank), it may be worthwhile to consider and reflect on whether we feel a hole anywhere in our lives.

Whatever approach you take to resolve this, and whatever the core issues at hand, I have every confidence that you can figure this out and find yourself on the other side of it. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Last edited by belovedspirit; 10-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedspirit View Post
I wish I had more advice or insight to offer. I think many of us here, if not all of us, have struggled with saying "no" to certain foods and have/had to face this dilemma time and time again.

Do you find you're eating for emotional reasons? If so, perhaps counseling (if that's accessible to you) may be a step forward.

Do you find you're eating mostly "because it tastes so darn good"? If so, I would again ask if there's an element of emotional eating involved. My second thought, however, would be to look at how your body responds to the foods (dishes) and specific ingredients you eat, and which ones it finds hard to resist. Then, I would gradually substitute them with other foods that aren't as addictive for you.

Lastly, I also wonder if sometimes we eat foods that are problematic for our weight loss because we lack joy, fulfillment, passion, or overall happiness in other aspects of our lives. I agree that food can be delicious. But when we eat food IN SPITE of wanting to lose weight which brings us unhappiness/frustration/misery/(fill in the blank), it bodes to reason that there is something more complex at hand. Food can be delicious, and in the moment it can be a source of enjoyment/passion/happiness, but it's more momentary (imo)... when we begin to treat food as a lifelong or regular source of happiness, fulfillment, comfort, (fill in the blank), it may be worthwhile to consider and reflect on whether we feel a hole anywhere in our lives.

Whatever approach you take to resolve this, and whatever the core issues at hand, I have every confidence that you can figure this out and find yourself on the other side of it. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
I think everything you've said makes so much sense. when i started having overeating issues, i was feeling so lost and alone, and eating was something to fill the time. in that moment i feel happy, even though afterwards i would say such degrading and ugly things.

something that has helped me, is that last year i got into a fight with my dad. he can be a really sweet and caring person, but he can be cruel with his words. its like there are two sides to him. he has always criticized my weight and he told me that no man would ever put up with me if i didnt change my personality. that was really hard for me, not only does he think im ugly, my personality sucks? we only just started speaking after a year, and only because of my surgery.

but i felt good telling him how i felt, and finally realizing that what he thinks, means nothing. that maybe that emptiness i had always felt, was because i couldnt get his approval. i know it sounds stupid, but i felt like if i didnt have value in my fathers eyes, who would value me? and if he doesnt value me as a daughter, what man would ever value me as a woman? but ive realized that until the day i am gone from this earth, i am stuck with myself, and what matters is that i love and value myself, so that even if im alone, at least im not miserable.

once i started working on self acceptance, it has helped with my eating issues, but not completely. i still eat unhealthy things, its like an obsession. i stop obsessing about one junky food and jump to the next.

thanks for your words, they really spoke to me.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I had my gallbladder out in my late 20's as well and it was an eye opener for me too. Since then I've slowly been losing the weight and trying to treat my body with respect. We do only get ONE body ONE life and I didn't want to live it constantly fighting my weight up and down over and over again anymore. So for me I've tried every diet under the sun but I personally was sick and tired of counting things, tracking things etc so I just did portion control, very small portions and I lost most of my weight that way,along this course I stopped drinking all soda, then I discovered I was gluten intolerant so I cut out all gluten, so baby steps on getting healthier during the journey, when I got about 15 lbs from goal I found IE (intuitive eating) and I latched on like a starved kitten lol it has been the BEST thing I've ever done. I'm now 4 lbs from my goal weight.. this journey hasn't been fast though, it's taken me a couple years to get here but I feel like I did it MY way, I didn't deprive myself, I didn't beat myself up etc, I just followed the course.. recently I gave up all caffeine so again, one more step to getting even healthier. My body is thanking me too, I have so much energy, I'm clear headed (didn't realize the brain fog gluten can put you in along with many other gastro ailments) my depression cleared up too as the lbs came off, so all in all it's been an amazing learning process. But don't do it all overnight.. like you saw with me, I started with just cutting back, then months down the road I'd make one other healthy choice etc, if I were to do it all at once I would have failed, it's all about baby steps and consistancy. But I'm also a huge fan of reminders.. I had sticky notes on my fridge, pantry, bathroom mirror, nook, computer monitor etc that had the top 3 reasons I wanted to lose weight, I'd see them everywhere I went, all over the house.. those visual reminders work! We forget sometimes why we want to lose weight when a slice of chocolate cake is put in front of us, so we need to remind ourselves about the road we are going down, not the stop we just made along the way... and if you have a bad day? no worries! naturally thin people indulge too you know, they have pig out sessions, they overeat on thanksgiving etc but their trick is the next day they go back to listening to their body, eating until they are satisfied and stopping when they hit that point etc, its not a battle for them, they don't worry about how many calories they just consumed, they just eat and move on and their body balances them out. Ours will too, we just gotta trust it sometimes
Anyway, sorry to go on and on but that is what worked for me and I completely understand where you are coming from
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote