Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #1  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Default Outstanding October Running!

Hello all!!!

Welcome to the OCTOBER running thread!!

Let's start where last month left off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konablue View Post
Thank you Devadiva! I'm hoping it gets a little more enjoyable once my fitness level increases a bit. You are a great inspiration!

lm3898....add you to my list of inspirational ladies as well! Sounds like a glorious, if not intense, hike you had this last weekend!
Thank you Kona - it was a really great hike! I agree with what you said to deva, the more you do it, the easier & more fun it becomes!

Last edited by lm3898; 10-01-2013 at 08:05 AM.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #2  

Tabbycat here.

I'm signed up for three 5K fun runs in October. The first one is today and the Texas coast is still hot and steamy (90 degrees and humid). I don't expect to do well in such weather, but I plan to jog the whole way. I'm happy if I finish in the top half of my age group (50-59).

We expect a cool front tonight, so maybe in two weeks when the second fun run takes place, the weather will be more comfortable.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

Hey, I thought I'd pop in. I just started running in June after a two year haitus due to knee problems. My knee pain was most likely due to too much running and no cross training. Last January, I began losing the regain and got in shape doing Zumba, Kickboxing, Spin, and strength training. I had no thoughts of running because I thought I wouldn't ever be able to. In June, after having lost most of my regain, I cautiously started walk/running using the C25k program. August 10th, I ran my first 5k! Since then, I've been known to run more than 1 a weekend I love it. I almost signed up for a 1/2 marathon but the training interfered with my 5ks so I decided to put that on hold. My running this week:
Oct 1st-Kettlebell class
Oct 2nd-6.3 mile training run
Oct 3rd-5 mile training run
Oct 4th-Strength Training class
Oct 5th-Rest

Today, I'm running a 5k. Hope to get my PR or come close to it!

Last edited by monmis12; 10-05-2013 at 07:09 AM.
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
Tabbycat here.

I'm signed up for three 5K fun runs in October. The first one is today and the Texas coast is still hot and steamy (90 degrees and humid). I don't expect to do well in such weather, but I plan to jog the whole way. I'm happy if I finish in the top half of my age group (50-59).

We expect a cool front tonight, so maybe in two weeks when the second fun run takes place, the weather will be more comfortable.
Good luck today and most importantly, Have Fun!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

I had a really great September with my running. I broke past my mental block of doing long runs again - I don't know what my issue was but I could not push myself to go further than 3 miles for the longest time. So I pushed through that and one weekend did a 5 mile run and a 6 mile run. I also did a 7.25 mile run that was great too. It was like once I pushed past 3 miles my body started to feel good again and it felt automatic! I really enjoyed running last month.

In the past anything over 5 miles, I just automatically did a run/walk. I didn't think I could run without walking over 5 miles. But I did it with my 6 mile run and with the 7.25 mile run. It felt great!! I had 44 miles running and 16 miles walking last month.

My goal this month is to get to 50 miles running! I've had a slow start but have 9 miles in so far.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #6  

Tabbycat here.

Good news and bad news...

Bad news: my 5K time was 38:15. That's the second slowest I've even been. Coincidentally, my slowest time ever was on this same course last year (this event is not chipped or certified). I even had to walk a bit in the final half mile. It was right beside the lake and sunny and steamy without a breath of a breeze. My car thermometer said it was 90 degrees on the way home.

Good news: I was second in my age group (55-59). The lady who beat me was a marathon runner. Even her time was 36 something.

I'm looking forward to the 5K in two weeks. Surely it will be cooler.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #7  

Way to go Tabbycat!

I ran my 5k in 28 min 40 seconds. Not my fastest but within a minute of my fastest. It was humid and a flat boring out and back course It was for a great cause though! They raised over 10,000 for St Jude Children's Hospital.

Now for the funny story. They posted the results before the award ceremony. According to those, I placed 4th in my age group having been passed in the last 50 ft by another woman in my age group. I was hoping she was younger than me. Anyways, my husband didn't want to stick around as he knew I was dissapointed being so close to getting an award. I stayed as at one 5k I did, they gave out a top 3 overall for male and female which actually allowed me to place. Well, That didn't happen here... What happened is the woman listed as first in my age group was actually in her 20's and they corrected that before they announced the awards. So, I got 3rd

Last edited by monmis12; 10-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #8  

Wow, monmis! I am so impressed! I dream of one day maybe finishing in 35 minutes, and you are well under 30 minutes! That's great!

Your story reminded me of a moment during the last mile. I was trotting next to another woman who looked like she might be in my age group. I panted, "Please tell me you're in your forties." (I thought the age groups were 10 year increments.) She said, "No, I'm in my sixties." I guess I made her feel good!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #9  

TabbyCat,
Your doing great! I bet you made that 60 year old's day!

Yes, its funny. I wonder what age group the women are who are running before or after me. The one who passed me right as I was nearing the finish line was in a full out sprint! I definitely didn't have a sprint in me. When my husband comes, he counts the women who come in before me and tries to guess their age. A week ago, I did a super small 5k and got my PR. However, I didn't medal! I came in 4th. Those in the age group before and after me, medaled with times 4 minutes slower than me. You just never know, do you?

[]9op0-
Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #10  

Where is everyone?
I ran another 5k yesterday. It raised money for a children's grief camp and we ran in a cemetery. It was a race in "remembrance of someone" so it was extra special especially since my mother in law is buried there. They had a ceremony beforehand where they released white doves. I ran it in 28 min and 30 seconds which was 10 seconds faster than the one I ran the day before. It was a pretty big 5k so I was proud of finishing 5th in my age group. The 4th place woman missed a medal by 8 seconds but I was a minute slower than her so not that close. I actually left right after the race as you could print out your results and not wait around for the award ceremony. Being a Sunday afternoon race, I was ready to get home(it was about 45 minute drive from where I live). Just like last weekend when I ran two 5ks, I felt like I had been run over by a truck around 5pm.

Today=No running! I do a kettleworks class.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'd like to join here -- I never get tired of talking about how awesome running is (though people in my family certainly get tired of hearing me talking about it, lol.)

September was great for me, I expect October to be fantastic as well. I currently run mostly on a treadmill, but I'll be in Maine for a week of vacation later this week and I'm looking forward to cool, outdoor weather running!

Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #12  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I have run Wed Fri and today between 3.2 and 4 miles running with pup so tiny bit slower than normal to do corrections ect...it is different running with a leash in your hand and being extra careful. I have been doing my up hill routes to make it a little tougher.
For any of you that know I have been having foot issues...they are talking back surgry
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #13  

Mrs. Snark,
I'm with you. I never tire of talking about running but my family have had about enough

This morning I did a very early 5 miles. I plan on trying a new interval frenzy class at my gym tonight. Hope I have enough energy for it I also want to add a day of tempo/interval running this week. I'm trying to improve my 5k speed. I went from 32:08 to 28:30 in about two months. Hopefully I can do better. My PR is 27:30 but right now I'm consistently running 28:30.

Last edited by monmis12; 10-08-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #14  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I've been doing all my running on a treadmill (health and heat issue) but I leave for Maine this week and am looking forward to some truly spectacular cool-weather outdoor runs (watch out moosies here I come!).

Monmis -- so speedy! I'm sure you will get back to your previous PR in no time!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #15  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Way to go ladies!!!! Glad everyone is enjoying their Fall runs...I've been a little crazy traveling almost every weekend...I do have a GRIPE though to share about my race last Saturday...

There was a 4+ mile obstacle race scheduled last Sat in my town - it said 4+ miles, 15+ obstacles including hills [around the college here]. They even sent out the course map. Hubby & I had to catch a flight so we were in the 1st group to go - ok, first off it started 20 min late - ANNOYING but whatever...

Here's the ridiculous part. They cut out HALF the course!! Apparently the story is that the college backed out at the last minute or something so instead of that, we got like 2 miles, no hills and half the obstacles...ok now things happen, I understand BTU they didn't tell us!! So here I am running a pace for a 4-5 mile hilly course wondering when we're about to turn toward the school and they point us to the finish line instead! If I had known it was a quick sprint race, I WOULD HAVE SPRINTED!! I can't believe they didn't bother to mention the whole race was changed. Just bummed about it - PLUS it was EXPENSIVE - all that for 2 lousy miles

Anyway, sorry for complaining, I just had to get that out! I found out about a running group in my town & I'm going to join them tonight so I'm excited about that!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote