Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #1  

Default hello, my alternatives, and what are yours if any?

My wife is officially on the MRC program and I am doing it with her now to lose weight and help keep her focused. 5 days in and I’m actually enjoying what I’m eating and have had almost no hunger symptoms. I’m not going to pay the expensive costs of the supplements MRC wants to sell so I have been focusing on alternatives. This is what I have discovered so far:

1. HNS fruit drinks – These are a big part of the plan and I needed something to replace them. The fruit drinks are nothing more than some liquid protein and flavor. I bought some body fortress protein powder at walmart that has very similar nutritional values. $16 for 42 servings or 40 cents per serving.

2. HNS hot chocolate – can be replaced with Hershey cocoa powder, splenda, and unflavored whey protein. I bought a 5 lb tub for $60 on amazon. I will get 133 15 grams of protein from the tub. That equates to 45 cents per serving. Cocoa is about 10 cents per serving.

3. nutrition bars – I bought some zone bars which were very similar. I was a bit pressed for time and didn’t take the time to find what was the best replacement. The zone bars are certainly good enough for now and they taste great!

4. pudding – Jello sugar free and fat free pudding mixed with almond milk and adding a serving of unflavored protein is about the same. Not sure of a cost per serving, maybe 50 cents.

5. Pills: I think these are snake oil designed to enrich MRC. I do take my own vitamins and minerals and I’m not really looking to find an alternative.

The unflavored protein is very fine grain and mixes with anything. It does add a slight creamy taste to what it mixes with. I’m not sure about cooking with it yet. You can add a serving of it to any sugar free drink and basically have a HNS at a much lower cost.

I’m posting this to see if anyone else is using alternatives to the high cost products MRC sells. If you have any alternatives to their products please share.
GatorWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189.5 / 145.5 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

Great ideas!
rwquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235.5/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorWayne View Post

I’m posting this to see if anyone else is using alternatives to the high cost products MRC sells. If you have any alternatives to their products please share.
One thing that I know many users do is go to diet direct. You are able to basically get the same exact products there.

I for one do not like the cold creamies very much. So I don't do the peach mang, or pink lemonade etc. Tho I do like the hot chocolate.

I am nervous to try the protein if it makes something more creamy - but I may see if I can find a smaller container to try it.

Someone I work with has done something similar to MRC - now he is off program but he buys "nogii" bars. I have tasted them and they are good tasting.

Thank you for your input
Lady67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/179/155

Height: 5'8"

I haven't tried them, but there is a brand called Isopure that makes ready to drink protein beverages (it looks like Gatorade). I don't like the powder either, so I've stuck with buying MRC's "clear" supplements. (plus they aren't bad at all) The Isopure has 15g protein and 60 cal per 8oz, so it sounds very much like MRC's.

I had been buying a lot of their pills, but it was getting to the point of being almost $300/month. I took my empties to a vitamin shop and they substituted for me, and now it's going to cost about a third of that. They pretty much matched up everything except for the Phentatrim (I think that was it, anyway) but they found another product they said was comparable, so we'll see!
DeannG is offline   Reply With Quote