Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230.8/199.5/150

Height: 5'2

Default Couch to 5k

Good morning everyone! Has anyone tried Couch to 5k? Either on IP or otherwise? I tried it a few years back but couldn't make it all the way through. I'm hoping that now that I'm down almost 50 lbs. (yay!) I won't have such a hard time. It has always been a secret goal of mine to run a 5k, so I might as well start training now! I plan to add an extra packet for the 3 days a week that I am running and see how it goes.

Here's the program:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
amt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

I did one called Couch to 10K by Jillian Michaels. I did that 3 years ago! It was so grueling but I loved every ache and pain (except the sprained ankle I got 2 months before my run). Running a 10K at 230lbs in 1hr and 43 mins was AWESOME for me. I want to do it again next fall hopefully!
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

Recently I did a 5K the Color Run which was super fun!! I didn't run the whole time due to the people I went with but it was still a good time and great exercise, you can do it!!!
cassieleeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #4  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

I did C25K a few years ago to start running. I used an iPhone app whic was great and it got me into running, loving running, into truathlon and half marathons. I would recommend it but also recommend reading Chi Running, a book on running form. Running badly can be ... Well, bad.
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #5  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt6 View Post
Good morning everyone! Has anyone tried Couch to 5k? Either on IP or otherwise? I tried it a few years back but couldn't make it all the way through. I'm hoping that now that I'm down almost 50 lbs. (yay!) I won't have such a hard time. It has always been a secret goal of mine to run a 5k, so I might as well start training now! I plan to add an extra packet for the 3 days a week that I am running and see how it goes.

Here's the program:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
I tried that program on my iphone last summer. it was very hard for me and I gave up after a few attempts. I probably would've been able to complete it had I more determination. My knees were killing me after like 3 days of that.
I recently started running again (down about 80-100 lbs from last summer) and it's a lot easier for me (I ran my first 5k last week!). Regardless, I think Couch 2 5k is a great place to start if you stick with it!
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
I did C25K a few years ago to start running. I used an iPhone app whic was great and it got me into running, loving running, into truathlon and half marathons. I would recommend it but also recommend reading Chi Running, a book on running form. Running badly can be ... Well, bad.
What's the app? As strange as it sounds, I really want to LOVE to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
I tried that program on my iphone last summer. it was very hard for me and I gave up after a few attempts. I probably would've been able to complete it had I more determination. My knees were killing me after like 3 days of that.
I recently started running again (down about 80-100 lbs from last summer) and it's a lot easier for me (I ran my first 5k last week!). Regardless, I think Couch 2 5k is a great place to start if you stick with it!
Congrats on your first 5k! I hope to complete one in the next few months (unless it gets too cold, which I'm also worried about).
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #7  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

thanks Not sure if sarita75 used the same one, but I used the iphone app c25k (the free version)
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #8  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I love C25K! I did it the first time I got into running, and am planning to do it again to get back into running. The only thing I don't like is the big jump in week 5, I believe. So I did a modified week 4.5 where I added more walk breaks in. It was hard for me to go from jogging 5 mins to jogging 20. I added a few runs of 8-10 mins jogging. Then I could go on to the longer jogs. Listen to your body, and if you feel that it's moving too fast for you repeat a week. It's a great program, but everyone is different. So some tweaking helps, at least it did for me. Good luck! Have fun!
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #9  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I have a C25K app on my iPhone. I love it. I only run on the treadmill right now, not comfortable enough with public running LOL.

There is a 5k up in San Francisco that i want to run SO bad. It is in December so maybe I will actually get up there to do it

Good luck!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #10  
IP Start Feb 5/16

S/C/G: 338.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3

My DH and I tried the C25K iPhone app it a few years back. He took to it like a duck to water and still runs 5 - 10k. I on the other hand didn't make if very far. I have very poor technique and I was still smoking at the time. I have been thinking about trying it again now that I have been smoke free for over a year.

The C25K app is very good and the free version has everything you need. Cheers!
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #11  

I completed week 1, day 1 tonight and it was great! The last time I tried C25ki felt like I was going to die on the first day, but it was so much easier being down almost 50lbs! It also felt great to be using my body again. I didn't realize how much I missed exercise and how much easier it would be weighing less!!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #12  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
What's the app? As strange as it sounds, I really want to LOVE to run.
Same here. Running at the outset is really hard. My body ached a lot when I started. Get BioFreeze or something for when you get achy parts after running and apply before bed. Make sure your water is high so you flush out well. After you get into running, you will love it. I do, and am chomping at the bit to get back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
thanks Not sure if sarita75 used the same one, but I used the iphone app c25k (the free version)
Yup, that's the one. It is awesome. After you get through the program, I recommend the Nike+ running app as it gives some pretty good feedback, challenges, etc. Its another free one.

(Uh and KissKiss, awesome transformation! Congrats!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylioness View Post
I have a C25K app on my iPhone. I love it. I only run on the treadmill right now, not comfortable enough with public running LOL. There is a 5k up in San Francisco that i want to run SO bad. It is in December so maybe I will actually get up there to do it
Which run are you thinking about? I am up in SF

1. Don't be embarrassed to run in public. Just go for it.
2. Find a quieter place to run, or run at twilight (if safe), etc. to give yourself more seclusion.
3. And, if anyone is judging you out there, screw them. You are moving it and you are doing a lot more than those peeps sitting there eating chips or kale chips (ehhem. the latter is me).

Quote:
I completed week 1, day 1 tonight and it was great! The last time I tried C25ki felt like I was going to die on the first day, but it was so much easier being down almost 50lbs! It also felt great to be using my body again. I didn't realize how much I missed exercise and how much easier it would be weighing less!!
Awesome job!! Congrats! I cannot wait to get back out thereeeeeee!!!!

Last edited by sarita75; 10-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 318/263/258

Height: 5'6"

I recently did my first 5k, but I was one of the people walking it. I was really proud that I managed to do that but am thinking that I want to run it next year. So I've been thinking about the Couch to 5k program. It's good to read other responses from people who have done it.
shrewlu is offline   Reply With Quote