Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #1  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Burger King's Saitsfries

Satisfries Article

So, Burger King has introduced a new product called Satisfries. They claim to have one-third the fat and 20 percent fewer calories than their normal fries.

To put the calories in perspective, a small Satisfry contains 270 calories, while a regular small fry contains 340 calories.

What do you all think about this? Has anyone tried them yet? I plan on trying some today during my lunch.

Update: The fries are okay. They are crinkle-cut fries, which I'm not the biggest fan of. They are not greasy, nor do they have that deep-fried flavor. These fries are coated in breading that doesn't absorb oil, which is how they become lower fat/calories.

Last edited by Psychic; 09-30-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #2  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

I hadn't even heard of this! Update with a review and let me know what you think. I have to admit, I absolutely love french fries. I calorie count, however, plus I'm trying to eat healthier overall, so I have them only rarely. Still, it would be awesome to have a lower calorie option for those occasions. I went to their website and the Value Size Satisfries™ are only 190 calories - very doable!
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/188/150

Height: 5'2

I saw 3 different shows showing these fries yesterday...the news must of just hit yesterday
at first I said "ohhhh" and then my husband said "270 calories for a small fry??" and I said "oh yeah, not good"

but let me know how you like them

oh and they are more money than the regular
SarainMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #4  
Starting Over Again

TooWicky - I'm just like you. I calorie count, but french fries are my favorite food. Since I'm going to eat them anyways, it would be nice if these actually taste good.

SarainMN - I agree that its not great, but its still better than a regular fry. French fries are an occasional food. Every once in a while I feel the need to splurge on them.

I'll post a review in a couple of hours.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Ironic that on their pwn website they compare the lower calorie features of this new engineered food product vs. McDonalds - not even comparing them to their own. What gives with that? Compare your own to your own, even though McDonald's sells the industry-leading french fry...But what exactly is IN the batter that they coat the potatoes with? Ingredient-wise, it'd be nice to be able to see what all they are adding to mere potatoes and oil to create something new to sell.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #6  
Starting Over Again

nationalparker - The comparison of 1/3 less fat and 20% less calories is compared to their normal fries. On BK's website, it says Satisfries have 40% less fat and 30% less calories than McDonalds fries.

I couldn't find recipe though. Sorry.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #7  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I haven't touched Burger King in 6 years (seriously!) but I sort of want to try these.

Last edited by Elladorine; 09-29-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #8  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

All I have to say about this is that I'm rather weary of the whole low-fat craze. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs make you fat. Read this article or this one (or google and find multiple other articles about this).
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I find calories are what make you fat :P I never watch carbs, only my salt and calories. I did count my carbs for two weeks just to see the amount I eat normally and I eat like 60-130 carbs a day depending so say 100ish average and I still lose weight. But everyones different, as long as I'm under my maitenance calories I find I lose weight regardless of where those cals come from. Back on topic, I heard the fries aren't good and theres only one burger king here anyways. I dont eat fastfood unless I grab a medium fries from wendys and thats like...twice a year. But if you're gonna spend the calories on fastfood make it tasty :P
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #10  
apple to apple core

Novus, perhaps the "lower fat" attribute is a selling point for some people out there, but my interest was in the lower calories. I am under no illusion that "fat makes you fat." I calorie count for weight loss, and, for me, so far so good.

Psychic, thank you for posting an update! I was hoping you would say they were awesome lol. I'm still going to give them a try out of curiosity this week.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #11  
Starting Over Again

Another thing I found after some research... These are not baked. They have some sort of breading on them that doesn't absorb grease. I'm kinda leery about that.

I think I'll stick with my occasional, normal fry.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #12  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I found this interesting:

"The Claims: Although BK is touting big percentages of savings, those numbers are based on weight comparisons to an equal amount of fries from McDonald's. Since a small order at Mickey D's weighs less (71g), it actually has fewer calories and the same fat count as a small Satisfries (127g): 230 calories and 11g fat (PointsPlus® value 6*)."

~http://www.hungry-girl.com/news/show/2738

So . . . a small fries from McDonald's actually has fewer calories and the same amount of fat.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #13  
apple to apple core

No kidding, the serving sizes for fries/onion rings and drinks are huge at Burger King! That's a big watchout when comparing, for sure.

McDonald's "small" fries - 71g/230 cal
BK "value size" satisfries - 89g/190 cal

Small vs. value size is a closer size match. Small doesn't mean the same everywhere, lol.

I still haven't tried them yet
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #14  
apple to apple core

Well, I ended up trying some Satisfries™ unexpectedly. My husband went through the drive-thru for himself and for some reason decided to order some. So I was able to try a partial order last night.

I was not impressed, which kind of bummed me out, lol. First of all, as Psychic mentioned, they are crinkle cut. They do have a different sort of breading/surface kind of texture to them in addition to the crinkle - like fry armor. The off-putting thing about them, at least to me, is that they seemed to be really heavy - as in weighed a lot. It was strange, and I don't know if the new type of breading contributed to this. Like one fry feels inordinately heavy when you pick it up, lol, it was odd. Fries in general do not have a whole lot of "taste" if you know what I mean, and Satisfries™ were no exception. I thought they tasted noticeably not as good as normal fries, however. My husband did order the Value size which I think I mentioned in a previous post is quite a large size and is comparable to a small size fry from McDonald's.

I can't recommend them personally because of the odd breading and texture, plus the strange heaviness, in addition to the inferior taste. Maybe if you were a daily fry eater, lol, it might behoove you to cut calories with Satisfries™, but other than that, I can't think of an applicable situation to consume them. My fries game-plan is to keep doing what I'm doing, which is to very seldom have a value size order of regular type fries when I have a craving, and work it into my calorie budget for the day.

Thanks, Pyschic, for bringing these up, though. I love to try out new stuff I read about on these boards. This is where I learned about PB2, which is now a substitute for regular peanut butter in my daily diet!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #15  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

When I'm "Jonsing" for "fries" I scrub and nuke a real potato.

Then slice and with a bit of cooking spray, brown in my skillet.

Good stuff!

Just an FYI, McDonalds chicken nuggets contain lighter fluid! Sorry, can't spell butyle alchohol properly.
Eat a nugget an light it up!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote