Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 343/335/180

Height: 5'11"

Cool People look at me with pity... it's getting a bit old.

Hi everyone -

I just joined this forum in hopes of being supported by people who might be going through the same thing I am. I am 35 years old and have always been 'overweight'. I was a chubby child, who turned into a chubby teenager, and am now considered 'morbidly obese'. I hate that term with such a hot burning fiery passion. I was ok with being overweight until about 4 years ago when I broke my ankle really badly. 6 pins, 2 plates, and 4 screws later I was put back together again but any type of activity angered my foot, which I now call my 'frankenfoot', and the lack of activity because of pain has made me the biggest I have ever been. It's to the point where people look at me with pity.. and I just want to punch them sometimes hah!

I'll admit that I have never been good at making healthy choices. I love sweets, and fried foods, and generally most things that are bad for me. Bad - I know. My doctor is telling me that I should go have gastric bypass surgery since my BMI is at 42 and have developed arthritis in both my hips, lower back, and knees. I really really don't want to have surgery though so I have started my efforts anew. I'm trying to eat much healthier, and am trying to move around a bit more so that my body can get used to activities beyond limping around again. So far so good. I started out at 320lbs, and in two weeks I have lost 5lbs which brings me to 315. My goal is 180.. I hope to any god that will listen that with persistence I can get there. This surgery idea is scaring the crud out of me.

I am not a very face-to-face sorta gal when it comes to this stuff - I tried weight watchers meetings and they just were not for me. Someone suggested an online forum which is what brought me here. Hoping to meet some new people who will understand what I am going through since they are going through it too.

Overall feeling a bit bummed about this journey but I know it has to be done so here goes nothing!

Thanks and hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship
Dreea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome!

I think you've come to a really good place. There are a bunch of forums with lots of people in the same situation as you, people in the situation you want to be in, all sorts of people.

I've found this to be in general one of the more polite, logical, helpful forums out there. There are fewer trolls here, I've noticed, too.

I don't know a lot about your situation, but I think losing 140 lbs is completely doable. I've met people on this forum who have done that or more, many of whom have severe complications with their health or situation. Hopefully there will be lots of inspiration and support for you here.

Congrats on working on your health! I think a lot of times we all need something to kick start us (I definitely had my kick in the butt - I haven't hit goal, but I also haven't been obese in years). Maybe this is your thing.

We're glad to have you here! Good luck with everything!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #3  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Dreea,

Losing 140 pounds is completely doable. There are many paths for the journey. By exploring 3 Fat Chicks, you can find out about them -- pros, cons, and support for whichever one you choose.

I personally am doing The Ideal Protein Diet. My bmi was almost 45 (which I still didn't think was that bad! but my knees were telling me that I was going to have to move into a one story house if something didn't changel I also was starting to think about surgery.). I once scoffed at 'clinic' programmes but when my brother found success on a version of low carb moderate protein diet, I decided to try it, too.

It has been frankly the easiest diet i've ever been on. High level of satiation and really good results by sticking to the protocol. There is a good support group here online, too.

For whatever you decide, you can do it!

Annik

Last edited by Annik; 09-29-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Welcome Dreea,

Good for you for posting and starting your journey. Congrats on your first five pounds.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone. I will look into the Ideal Protein Diet for sure! Anything I can do to help these pounds come off!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

140 will be easy peasy. And I am sure moving will become easier as your weight comes off.

I focused on small changes to my diet to start with and then took on more and more lifestyle changes. I started to up my exercise at 60lbs down and never looked back. The support I have gotten here - and the useful tips - have been fundamental to my journey.

Compared to where I started my lifestyle changes have been dramatic but it was small tweaks along the way that got me to those.

I do not follow a particular program. I just do my own thing that works for my body. It's been great to learn how my body works.

Took me 38 years, but I got there!

Last edited by IanG; 09-29-2013 at 04:45 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #7  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Dreea,

Ideal Protein is one of many variations of a basic ketogenic diet. I like IP because it fits in well with my lifestyle, works really well, and there is a locally available clinic.

If you decide to go the IP route, I recommend staying connected with the IP forums on 3 fat chicks. It seems to be common experience that clinic coaches are not all equally well trained. I find that by participating in the forum, I get a lot of checks and balances on advice.

Though not connected to IP, I am thinking of doing Jimmy Moore's Low Carb Cruise in May. He brings together low carb experts from across all fields for an educational event.

By the way, the low carb movement has apparently taken Sweden by storm!

Annik

Last edited by Annik; 09-29-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #8  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Ps low carb helps kick sugar addiction!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #9  

Thanks again all Going to start by trying to cut out little things. Do I really NEED that sugar in my coffee? Probably not! Also, I have never really liked pasta or rice.. it always seemed like just filler to me. Going to try to cut out that for the most part too and concentrate on eating more vegetables and leafy greens. I think once I get my head around the fact that this isn't going to happen overnight, and once I start seeing a bit more progress (can I turn that 5 into 10? - I sure can!), I will feel better about this whole journey. Looking forward to losing the limp!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Dreea! There's no need to have surgery. You can definitely do this! You've already lost 5 lbs and that's all you have to do--keep losing 5 lbs! Mini-goals will get you to your overall goal before you know it! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #11  

Hi! Weight loss surgery is not the fix that people think it is. My DH had wls in 2010. He started out at 410 pounds and sure as shooting, got down to 300 even in about 9 months. BUT! He has since gained back 75 pounds. Why? Because wls doesn't solve your eating problems. You can still eat chocolate and fried foods and milk shakes and bacon cheeseburgers--it just takes you a longer amount of time.

My advice: solve your eating problems. It's not easy. My husband is addicted to food. He just admit to me tonight that he has a genuine fear of being hungry. Weight loss surgery can't fix the mind. Only you can do that.

Make a plan and stick with it--even (or should I say especially) when the scale decides to not move for a week or two....or three.

I count calories. Straight-forward easy way to know what to eat and how much of it you can have.
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote