PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #1  
Esta es mi vida ♫

Height: 171 cms

Red face Ladies diagnosed with PCOs

What do you think about Metformin? Did it help you to curb your appetite?

Love,
Mia

Last edited by Mia Zoe; 09-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Mia Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You mean Metformin? I tried it and the constipation wasn't really worth it but I also didn't notice a difference.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/192.5/130

It did not help me lose weight and it made me feel terrible! I don't recommend it unless you really need the benefits for your PCOS. As for weightloss, not so much!
meltitaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #4  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia Zoe View Post
What do you think about Metformin? Did it help you to curb your appetite?

Love,
Mia
I'm currently taking the extended release version of metformin I take 750mg 2 times daily. I've lost 13lbs since the beginninggof August without even trying. It has curbed my appetite and sugar cravings a lot.

I did have diarrhea a lot at the beginning but it has settled down now. I have tummy problem now if I eat a high carb meal.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I did it and it caused terrible constipation and hallucinations at night (I think my blood sugar got too low). Had to stop after only a few weeks.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #6  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Didnt help me at all! I made my doc take me off it. What HAS helped me is low carb eating and I dont mean the processed atkins bars n shakes kind of low carb eating. I mean more of a primal/paleo type with LOTS of veggies and fruits. A typical meal for me is a lean protein like chicken, pork loin or a lean steak, some cooked quinoa or 1 potato or sweet potato (usually 5 oz or less) a cup or so of a veggie (I use green beans, broccoli and brussel sprouts a lot) and a reasonable serving of fruit (half a cup of raspberries, 7-10 large strawberries or an apple usually). I get lots of healthy fats from olive oil n such and a little bit from eggs and cheese. Overall my day looks like 50% fat and 20-30 % protein with 20-30% carbs. My day usually ends with something like 70 grams of fat, 90-100 grams of protein and 70-100 grams of carbs (usually 18-25 of those being fiber from the fruit and veggies). I usually drink about 12 cups of water daily and if im hungry between meals I have 1 scoop if isopure protein powder in about 5 oz of water. Eating like this my meals are each between 325 and 550 calories which usually leaves my calorie count daily between 1300 and 1500 calories. Even though I'm "allowed" 1870 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week for my weight, I can never make myself get there im alway so full! Until I found this way of eating Id always fall off but I can see myself eating this way for a while if not forever. Its so easy to accomidate too even when eating out. I always thought people were craazy when they said eating like this worked because it never did for me, but I realize now it was the pasta and bread. I did have a headache the first 3 ish days but I think that was me detoxing off fast food. Im not nearly as tired as I was before. I did have an acne flareup right nowbut I think tnat its more because im near what should be TOM and I dont wash my face nearly as much as I should :/. Sorry I kinda raved on and on here, I just believe I it cayse I usualky still craved on met but I am not craving at all right now and I usually gave to force my 400 calorie meal down because im sooooo full. Thought id share
P.s. sorry for the typos and/or gramner issues, I'm on a tablet.

Last edited by SMSDREAMER2007; 10-27-2013 at 06:21 PM.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #7  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

I started taking it when first diagnosed - it didn't do anything for me at all (good or bad) so I stopped taking it.
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

I just got put back on it because I started gaining weight again for no reason after maintaining in the "normal" weight range for almost two years. The first few weeks sucked for me but I lost weight on met the last time. I didnt' find it made me lose weight...it just made it possible for me to lose weight if that makes sense...

Although to be honest, right now I feel strangely sick and my appetite hasn't been what it was. I had constipation last time but do not this time. I'm on 2000mg. I go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks for a follow up but so far I've lost about 5.5lbs from my highest weight. This weird nauseous feeling is kind of unsettling though so I'm going to ask her about it.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #9  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

I'm not sure how much it helped and how much was just my body responding to weight loss. Over all weight loss will do way more good than metformin. It did help with TTC.. I responded better to treatment.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm on an insane dose - 1000 mg a day, along with 100-120 units of Lantus twice a day for the insulin resistance, and varying units of Humalog for mealtimes.

I'm really, REALLY insulin resistant, apparently.

I've had bouts with tummy problems if I stop taking it or have a high fat meal. I noticed that I didn't feel as hungry, but since I've trained myself to eat because I want food and not because I'm hungry I haven't seen any weight loss. Other PCO problems like swollen lymph nodes and swelling in the legs are more under control when I'm taking the meds as I should though, so that's definitely a positive for me.

Also, Losing4another, that dog is adorable. She (?) looks like my little pitty girl's twin. Love it.
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #11  

metformin made my head foggy. so i didnt take it anymore...
peaceandlove10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #12  

Hi - long time lurker here...

I am newly diagnosed with PCOS and am also taking Metformin, along with birth control pills. The Met side effects are bad for me - I am supposed to take 1000mg a day, but the stomach upset was too much to bear. My doctor recommended starting with half the dosage for a week or so and slowly working up to the regular dose. I started the pills on 3/9 and as of today I've lost about 8lbs. It definitely changes your eating habits - I find that I am not as hungry and the size of the portions I can eat have grown much smaller as well. I was on Jenny Craig when I first started the medication, but had to stop as the mere scent of their food made feel sick. Anyone have any PCOS friendly diet recommendations?
Thank you!
FattyMcFatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 450?/450?/200

Height: 6'0

Thank you for this thread! I have PCOS and haven't been put on Metformin yet, however it has been talked about.
mysticalsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote