Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #1  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Talking posing for photos - new body issues

I'm one of those people who constantly hid from the camera due to my weight. I didn't want to see proof of how big I was! Now, I kind of crave photos to be able to see and document that what I am doing is working and my body is actually shrinking. I have trouble "seeing" it in the mirror, although my clothing indicates otherwise.

So -- cut to this weekend when I actually asked someone to turn the camera around on me and take my photo. And, it was awful! She actually had to take two, and blamed the fact that someone walked behind me at just the wrong moment, but when I saw that first photo, I was so embarrassed. I had a "cheesy grin" like a 5 year old. My neck was corded and I looked so tense, with my arms plastered to my sides, despite the big smile! Bless her for not outright telling me that I had the expression of a big "cheese ball!" The second looked a bit more relaxed - I shifted position a bit due to being caught off guard that she wanted another pose. But, I was sadly disappointed in myself.

How do you ever get comfortable in front of the camera? Any ideas? I'm embarrassed to ask anyone to really work with me and take a lot of photos -- it seems so self absorbed. But, this is not the first time I've noticed this "cheesy" phenomenon - I'm afraid it's here to stay!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #2  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

I have no advice because I've always been camera shy and because of that I'm not terribly photogenic. Most of my best photos happen when someone catches me spontaneously, just turned or something like that. Maybe have your friend try to get candid shots where you are not aware of the camera. That might help.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

One leg in front of the other...like in my profile pic.

Laugh, don't just smile (not in my profile pic!!!).

You've lost 137 girl. You need to get this right!

Last edited by IanG; 09-22-2013 at 09:13 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I can relate to your dilemma! There are several things at hand:

1) It might be helpful to practice smiling on demand, so when the time comes for a photo, you will know how to contour your facial muscles into a look you like. To do this, I would start off practicing posing for self-photos (selfsies) with a cell phone or camera, and then graduate to having someone take photos of you if that's an option.

2) The second part of taking good photos is what's going on neck down. Do you have access to photos of people you know on fb? If not, scour the internet and take a look at photos of regular people (not celebrities) in different kinds of outfits (casual, semi-formal, formal, business, business-casual, etc. -- whatever types of situations are relevant to your life) and take a look at how they pose. Who looks good? Who doesn't? What are they doing with their bodies? What is their body language? How are their limbs positioned? What angle is their head at relative to their body? Etc. Ask yourself questions like this, and note the responses. Afterwards, practice these poses yourself. Also, I'm guessing there are webpages dedicated to this question. I'd google it and see what people recommend. Their sites probably include pics, so you might be able to judge the look for yourself and decide yay/nay right there and then!

3) I don't think it's selfish at all. It's understandable many of us haven't had much experience in front of the camera for any number of reasons. Furthermore, losing a lot of weight tends to be accompanied by a change in appearance, perception, and a whole set of learning curves. Taking pictures can be one of them. While sometimes people may think of taking pictures as a 'frivolous' social activity, I think it's just plain smart to know how to present yourself well. It also means that years down the road, you'll be able to enjoy your photos, which seems pretty important... So I wouldn't be shy about asking someone you can trust. If that's still not an option, do you have a camera with a timer option so you can set the timer function to take photos of you? (Set the camera on a ledge, desk, shelf, etc. and position yourself far enough for it to capture your body.) An alternative is to take a video so you can pose and changes poses in real time, and review these later. The latter isn't the same as still-time photographs, but might still be helpful.

Good luck! And congratulations on your awesome achievement!!!

Last edited by belovedspirit; 09-22-2013 at 11:40 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #5  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

I'm such a camera freak now, and yes there are some bad ones but it's all about angles.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

This is NOT selfish! In the world we live in, we are inundated with image, photos and it's very important to learn how to pose for photos. If not for the rest of the world then for you to feel comfortable, what's more important than that?

I'm not an expert but these are thing I think about. Never post facing dead forward, it doesn't matter what you weight, you will always look like a "before" photo if you pose like that. Put one foot in front of the other at the very least, it will switch your angle just enough to create some interest. If you lean forward a bit more emphasis will go to your face, lean backwards and more emphasis will go to your hips, your choice.

Arms - when I'm caught off guard or not thinking about my pose my arms do stupid things. I always make sure that I put one hand on my waist, the other hangs loosely down but I turn my hand inwards so my palm faces behind me. If I don't do this for some reason my palm faces the camera and it looks like I'm asking for money, no clue why.

Face - if someone is pointing a camera at you make sure that the camera is no lower than your face level. If the camera is pointing at you from below the only thing you'll see in the picture is your double chin, we all have one of from that angle!! Just say "put the camera higher please!" and you'll be more pleased with the picture.

Don't try to be an angry looking celebrity, they look stupid in their practiced picture face. Real people need to smile genuinely. Practice in the mirror and make sure your smile reaches your eyes.

Last edited by Palestrina; 09-23-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Put your camera on a timer and experiment with different poses, head angles, and smiles. You'll find one or two that work for you then stick with it!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #8  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Thanks for the comments, y'all. I'm going to practice with my camera's self-timer and see what I can come up with. Something tells me it takes a lot of work to look "naturally relaxed!" ha!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/188/150

Height: 5'2

chin out, stretch out neck
giiirl...I have them take 100 photos!! and like IanG said one leg out! hands on hips!!!

I've lost 55 lbs and I hated pictures now I'm always taking selfies...I DESERVE IT AND LOOK DANG GOOD!!!
GO AHEAD AND TAKE 100 MORE!!!

SarainMN is offline   Reply With Quote